9 Posts

Millennium Blades» Forums » General

Subject: How does this play with 2 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dobby
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm considering picking this game up, it looks really cool but I'm wondering how it plays with two players. I usually play most games my wife, so for those of you out there who have played it with two players...how is it? Is it worth it if the vast majority of the time it would be with only 2 players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad vanVugt
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, it's pretty great even with 2. I also have only played it with my wife exclusively and we've loved it. The two player duel mode works very well and some folks have also said even the standard rules also work fine at 2p. Trading is of course a lesser part of the 2p experience due to the zero-sum nature of the gameplay, but we haven't found that to be much of an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Rine
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didd it once I liked it but my dad is kinda not to be rude but slow and we need repetition with board games. But I don't mind it just it's really fun with more people cuz it makes it harder. Also with Set coming out you can do co-op and solo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play 2p exclusively, one of my favorite games. I'm sure it picks up with other players, but it is still so much fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played with 2 players (standard rules, not the special rules) and it was pretty great. It's a bit different than with more players, but it works really good. Also, I think Mina's review talks about the 2-player mode (Rahdo's video preview does as well).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdobby wrote:
I'm considering picking this game up, it looks really cool but I'm wondering how it plays with two players. I usually play most games my wife, so for those of you out there who have played it with two players...how is it? Is it worth it if the vast majority of the time it would be with only 2 players?

Strictly speaking, the rulebook gives you two ways to play 2p, but the basic 3-5 player rules indirectly provide a third way to play.

The main 2p rules from the rulebook are similar to the base game (real-time deckbuilding, tournament phase, etc) except it's a best-of-three setup and everything you do (including collections) goes toward the tournament score. This is a good way to learn the game for later 3-5 player experiences. It's also a good way to play a "duel" style of game where you're simply trying to get more points than your opponent.

Playing the 3-5 player main rules is similar, except you assign VP to your tournament finishes and collections. Played as-is, this might put too much weight on collections (since having a larger collection, depending on the size, can be worth more than a 2p tournament win). These first two modes are probably a toss-up and will depend on your individual taste as to which one is worth playing. They are similar enough that it's probably uncommon to play them both regularly.

The turn-based rules are almost a completely different game. I've written about it elsewhere, as have others, but it's an altogether different beast and warrants its own plays. It also scales very well for 3-5 players as there are no significant rules changes (unlike the official 2p real-time variant).

The real question for you probably should be, how likely is your wife to take to a CCG-style theme and a wide variety or options (sometimes overwhelming).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Brookins
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you really love building decks, you'll still enjoy the game at two players. If your enjoyment of the game comes from the social aspect, and you love trading with the other players, you may not like the two player game, because trading is mostly out the window.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked 4p better than 2p, not because of trading (there still wasn't much) but because there was a lot more deck interaction-- the actual meta (not the one from the cards) was more interesting.

I've enjoyed 2p just fine, though. But I would suggest leaning toward more interactive sets in the store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chamberlain
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played four times with two players, and twice with three players, I can say the game does not suffer when playing with two. We play with a variant such that you have your six sell tokens, and you must sell your deckbox after each tourney (excepting the prerelease). Otherwise, play as normal.

As others have noted, lean towards some interactivity in the store deck. There is a thread with "preferred store decks," and the first one suggested is pretty strong in 2p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls