Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about acquiring it, but some of the posts written here on the forum have raised some concerns:

Teamjimby wrote:
LOME changes the equation significantly. A turn 1 reveal is almost a guaranteed loss for the FP, so the debate is 1 vs 2 eyes instead of 0 vs 1.

Teamjimby wrote:
Turn 1 reveal means a turn 1 Chief of the Ringwraiths Witch King. So the shadow gets an extra die and has the option of playing a Gandalf denial strategy. With the WK's ability to cycle character cards and chase the fellowship, it is an extremely long journey for the fellowship. The SP should be able to draw through the entire deck of character cards.

It's just been my experience that an early reveal and early WK makes for an extremely difficult game for the fellowship. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a 90+% win rate, assuming similarly skilled players.

Could other players corroborate this (especially the "90%+" win rate) and say whether there exists some viable counter-strategy to this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't noticed any balance problems since adding the expansion and I definitely recommend it. We will never play the game without it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
No, an early WK defines the game and makes for a hard struggle to get the ring to the Cracks, but it is certainly not an pre-determined win, IMHO. Just my last game was a fairly comfortable ring victory with the Free, after getting revealed into Moria on turn 2 and having the WK on my trail after that.

Fairly often what I've seen happen is that the Shadow goes through all the character cards ... and then just runs out at the end. Having no more options to hurt the Fellowship and being nowhere near a military victory, he can only watch as the Free very carefully and slowly move the FSP through Mordor and destroy the ring.

LoME is a great add-on and I wouldn't want to miss it. I don't need to play it every time, but it is always nice to have as an alternative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After all the care that's been taken to tune the game, I would find it had to believe that they'd put in something which makes the game that heavily skewed from the beginning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If anthing, I'd say it adds more balance as the optimal FP strategy in the base game is run the the fellowship balls to the wall to Mordor using the characters as a meat shield. The expansion gives the SP more "Ring game" options and the FP more military options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 90% thing is just a guess based on games I've played. I think I've seen an early reveal in LOME games maybe 5 times and the FP has never won. The FP can win, it's just really hard because the SP will probably be able to cycle the entire character deck if they want to.

LOME is definitely a more swingy game than the base game, and this is one of the examples. It's a fun addition that I like to play with occasionally. If you like the base game, it's definitely worth a buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You would be hard-pressed to find a game of this scope that has been MORE fine-tuned and tested than War of the Ring. The expansions aren't really expansions; most of the components have been a part of the game for years but are now being re-implemented in refined ways. Even the wording on each card is detailed to the nth degree. It's the Gold Standard other developers should aspire to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bamonson wrote:
You would be hard-pressed to find a game of this scope that has been MORE fine-tuned and tested than War of the Ring. The expansions aren't really expansions; most of the components have been a part of the game for years but are now being re-implemented in refined ways. Even the wording on each card is detailed to the nth degree. It's the Gold Standard other developers should aspire to.

Well I've read though the rulebook and the FAQ in detail as well as some of the helpful explanations that can be found on the web, but I'd say that while it's above standards, it isn't entirely without problem. There are still things that baffle me.

For instance, why does Saruman have a specific ruling for him that he can never leave Isengard is it is standard for characters that are Level 0 to not being able to leave the location they're in? This implies as if there are some specifics (events, perhaps?) which offer possibility to move even 0-level characters, to which Saruman is specifically immune. However I have yet to see that be the case.

And as for Cities and Strongholds, the more I know about it the more I'm confused I can't make heads or tails regarding when precisely is it about a player-controlled Stronghold/City, one affiliated to a player or even both. For instance, page 41 claims the Fellowship of the Ring may heal in a FP Stronghold, but also in any City controlled by the FP player (regardless of original affiliation). I'm also confused regarding the healing when it comes to strongholds under siege.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steva fields
United States
vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1)Saruman is the only 0 level character that does not have a rule that can make him greater than a 0 level. Unlike for example the Balrog and Treebeard.

2)I believe the fellowship can only heal in unconquered free cities. On page 42 it says friendly cities. Which I believe supports this. If the fellowship is in a shadow city, they have more problems than worrying about healing one corruption.

3)As long as there are still free troops in the besieged free stronghold, the fellowship can declare into the stronghold and heal 1 corruption.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sixtoedcat wrote:
1)Saruman is the only 0 level character that does not have a rule that can make him greater than a 0 level. Unlike for example the Balrog and Treebeard.

2)I believe the fellowship can only heal in unconquered free cities. On page 42 it says friendly cities. Which I believe supports this. If the fellowship is in a shadow city, they have more problems than worrying about healing one corruption.

3)As long as there are still free troops in the besieged free stronghold, the fellowship can declare into the stronghold and heal 1 corruption.

But if the FSP is in a conquered Shadow City could they heal? And would they receive any potential additional damage in case of a conquered Shadow Stronghold?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steva fields
United States
vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1)No, must be a free city.

2)No damage would occur. Only rerolls when the fellowship moves. If there are troops or nazguls there. unless you mean a shadow stronghold has been captured by the free people. Then in that case there would be know extra tile for the fellowship moving through the stronghold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torben
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
Sargeras777 wrote:
For instance, page 41 claims the Fellowship of the Ring may heal in a FP Stronghold, but also in any City controlled by the FP player (regardless of original affiliation).

Rulebook p. 41: HUNT EFFECTS WHEN DECLARING OR REVEALING THE FELLOWSHIP wrote:
[...] if the Fellowship has been declared in a Free Peoples Stronghold or City controlled by the Free Peoples.

You are interpreting the rules way too complicated. Maybe this helps:
"a Free Peoples (Stronghold or City) controlled by the Free Peoples"

It needs to be a City or a Stronghold and it needs to be blue and it needs to (still/again) be controlled by the Free People. Makes sense, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls