Subject: 2.II (Race) with 6.III (Roads) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 504:326 [+] 504:xx6 [+] [View All]
Chris Smith

Cold Spring Harbor
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is obviously a very specific scenario, but my first play of 504 was world 326 (Privileges, Race, and Roads).

It seemed to us that roads were not very useful in conjunction with the Race mechanic, as the "in a hurry" ability (moving for free through exhausted residents) seemed to provide enough speed to get to the next needed city, after which you could switch out your capital, dump a new bunch of residents, and repeat. Building roads did not seem useful, because the biggest rewards came from reaching new territory and not going back through tiles you've already established.

I built a few roads at the beginning, but quickly afterwards copied the other players in ignoring them and just rushing to each new city. It was a bit disappointing because it felt like an entire module was blank, but perhaps that's just one of the risks of playing 504? I thought I'd ask to see if anyone had a similar experience with 6.III, either with Race modules (2.I or 2.II) or any other situations where they did not feel useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yep, roads in III can be really unnecessary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Anderson
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a hurry only works when there is an exhausted resident in the hex. building a road exhausts 1-3 workers. When it only requires 1 worker this is always at least break even and will often gain you an extra movement while leaving you with infrastructure that you can use in later turns.

When it requires 2 or 3 it probably isn't worth while but when roads is in position 3 you don't need to build a connected network.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan E.

Lawrence
Kansas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kektek wrote:
This is obviously a very specific scenario, but my first play of 504 was world 326 (Privileges, Race, and Roads).

It seemed to us that roads were not very useful in conjunction with the Race mechanic, as the "in a hurry" ability (moving for free through exhausted residents) seemed to provide enough speed to get to the next needed city, after which you could switch out your capital, dump a new bunch of residents, and repeat. Building roads did not seem useful, because the biggest rewards came from reaching new territory and not going back through tiles you've already established.

I built a few roads at the beginning, but quickly afterwards copied the other players in ignoring them and just rushing to each new city. It was a bit disappointing because it felt like an entire module was blank, but perhaps that's just one of the risks of playing 504? I thought I'd ask to see if anyone had a similar experience with 6.III, either with Race modules (2.I or 2.II) or any other situations where they did not feel useful.

Glad to know it wasn't me. I just finished play 126 twice and neither time did pursuing roads pay off. The winner was always the player who built up MP for his trolley as quickly as possible and ignored the road mechanic entirely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We run into the same problem...
In hurry scenarios and roads 6.III the roads do not really pay off. Does anyone have other experiences?

Why do you think Friedemann designed it this way? Using "Racing" and "Roads" together seems to be an obvious (and fun?) choice and should have been playtested?

Do you have a fix for this? Maybe just cancel "hurry" somehow, if you are with 6.III?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Should their be a fix? Part of my enjoyment is figuring out each world. I think it is fine the way it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, you are right, and this is also my joy. The thing is that you do not really figure out something except that your choice is useless. The provided options in 6.III in hurry scenarios are meaningless. And in my opinion that's strange, because minor tweaks would make it really interesting?

Or do you have another experience? Maybe, I've missed something in the rules? This is what I want to know
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls