Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo Brooks
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ran through this free solo expansion and (possibly) narrowly won. I was wondering if anyone could clarify these four situations I encountered that were not particularly clear.

(I will say that posted this on "The Hunt" site as well, but thought I had a better chance of getting an answer here. Sorry for Double posting if that sort of thing is a no-no)

First - Does Prince Thorald move towards the wolves at the beginning of each new day AND when a monster is defeated? If so, this game becomes very difficult to use the wolves as allies, which is kind of essential. Another way to ask this would be to ask if defeating monsters causes the legend marker to move up the path as in the regular game.

Second - I encountered a situation from the event roll of a 4 on the die where I could move the monster to wherever I wanted at the beginning of a day. Does that monster still move afterwards as per it's regular movement for the beginning of the day? If so, one is potentially moving it twice, which makes planning where you want it very important.

Third - Can two monsters occupy the same space? I had a situation where I had monsters in Spaces 52 and 53 so both monsters would have ended up in space 55 at the beginning of the next turn. Does the regular "Leapfrogging" rule then apply? If not, can two monsters occupy a space with a hero?

Fourth - On my last day I was between Thorald and the Alpha Wolf when I defeated my last Troll. Thorald then had to cross my path to get to the Alpha Wolf. Did I then meet the objective of the legend by being in the same space as Thorald after I beat my last Troll, or did I lose the game because Thorald would have gotten to the Alpha Wolf on that turn going by me?

Please let me know if you can answer these questions. I am very excited to try this again once I hear from others. I feel like my win was potentially tainted by not following the rules the way they were intended.

Thanks so much to Michael for designing such a fantastic game, and offering free legends to try. It is one of my very favourites!

Thanks also to anyone who can try and answer these questions!

Leo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Help with "The Hunt" - Solo Expansion
where did you get the expansion ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Brooks
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tootz wrote:
where did you get the expansion ?

I got it here on the Geek. It was on the official Andor site in German, I am pretty sure.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/117956/bonus-legend-hunt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks leo..I will give that a play over the next week!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Brooks
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
O.K. I realize I am obsessing a bit about this.

I tried the legend again this morning, and had incredible good luck. I got the black die on the second day. I managed to move two trolls to space 71 with me so I had huge power ups. But I moved Thorald every time I defeated a troll (and I didn't kill a single Gor or Skrall), and I still lost.

I tried working out Thorald's movement with various set-up scenarios. While I think one could win moving him every time a creature is killed, It leaves you 6 days tops to get to all the special spaces on the board and level yourself up. It makes the legend very hard, and using the wolves as allies very hard too.

Having said that, it may be too easy if Thorald doesn't move when creatures are killed.

The game play depends an awful lot on the die rolls to determine monster placement.

Really curious to see what others find/figure out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Treefrog74 wrote:

First - Does Prince Thorald move towards the wolves at the beginning of each new day AND when a monster is defeated? If so, this game becomes very difficult to use the wolves as allies, which is kind of essential. Another way to ask this would be to ask if defeating monsters causes the legend marker to move up the path as in the regular game.

In this Legend, King Thorald moves towards the wolf on the lowest numbered field each time the narrator is moved. So, yes, this is both at the start of a new day and when a monster was defeated. The trick is to use two of the wolves to lure the King away from the last (black) wolf while also using those same wolves to help you kill monsters. It is impossible to save all three and extremely hard to save two of them. Focus on keeping the last one alive.

Quote:
Second - I encountered a situation from the event roll of a 4 on the die where I could move the monster to wherever I wanted at the beginning of a day. Does that monster still move afterwards as per it's regular movement for the beginning of the day? If so, one is potentially moving it twice, which makes planning where you want it very important.

Of course. The "event" Legend card is triggered instead of the normal deck of event cards. This is only the first step of the sunrise box. All other steps are still performed, including moving the monsters on the board. (note that in this Legend, the monsters don't follow the arrows but move to the adjacent area with the highest number. Take this into account when executing event 4.

Quote:
Third - Can two monsters occupy the same space? I had a situation where I had monsters in Spaces 52 and 53 so both monsters would have ended up in space 55 at the beginning of the next turn. Does the regular "Leapfrogging" rule then apply? If not, can two monsters occupy a space with a hero?

It is never possible for 2 monsters to be in the same space. When placing monsters on the board in this Legend you should reroll if the initial roll is the same field as that of another monsters. This is quite clearly written on the cards. If a monster would move to a field with another monster it "leapfrogs" over it according to the normal rules. (only in this legend ignoring the arrows but moving to the highest numbered field instead).

Quote:
Fourth - On my last day I was between Thorald and the Alpha Wolf when I defeated my last Troll. Thorald then had to cross my path to get to the Alpha Wolf. Did I then meet the objective of the legend by being in the same space as Thorald after I beat my last Troll, or did I lose the game because Thorald would have gotten to the Alpha Wolf on that turn going by me?

No, you actually won the Legend. Congrats!
You should immediately place the narrator on the "N" field if all three trolls are defeated and you are in the same field as King Thorald. It doesn't specify that you should be the one doing the moving. See of it as you stopping the King the moment he would reach the last wolf. Very fitting the story, actually.

I think the Hunt is one of the better bonus legends that were released. Both fitting in the overal narative and challenging, but certainly not impossible, to beat.

I hope this helped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Brooks
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much Alexander! Excellent clarification.

When you have tried this legend, have you found the flute useful at all? I find that moving the wolves with it rarely places them in a spot further from Thorald who moves in a straight path. Just my observation.

I want to use the wolves as allies but find it very hard to get them, the monsters and myself all aligned properly.

Any other strategies? Are you using the extra hours in the day much? Are you using the herbs for movement or battle?

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First things first, could you add a spoiler tag to your thread title as the discussions in this topic may be considered as spoilers to those who have not completed this legend yet.

I realised I made a mistake in my post above (now fixed). Thorald doesn't move to the closest wolf, but rather to the wolf on the field with the smallest number. With this in mind, the flute is indeed very useful to move a wolf to a field that is higher or lower than the field of the other wolf, thus making King Thorald turn around to move towards that wolf.
Similarly, the torch can be used to make monsters (who should run towards you anyway) move to a field with a wolf.

Since there is no final boss in this legend, herbs and gold can be used for other things once you feel like you can safely beat the Trolls. Moving with herbs may indeed be an excellent idea in this specific Legend. Also, water flasks can also be very useful once you have enough strength. As with any legend, use the extra hours of each day sparingly and with great purpose. But if you feel that you need them, by all means use them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Brooks
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vardaine wrote:
First things first, could you add a spoiler tag to your thread title as the discussions in this topic may be considered as spoilers to those who have not completed this legend yet.

Yes, Thanks for that advice. I am not always aware of the etiquette here, and I was just so excited that someone was answering my posts.

Vardaine wrote:
I realised I made a mistake in my post above (now fixed). Thorald doesn't move to the closest wolf, but rather to the wolf on the field with the smallest number. With this in mind, the flute is indeed very useful to move a wolf to a field that is higher or lower than the field of the other wolf, thus making King Thorald turn around to move towards that wolf.
Similarly, the torch can be used to make monsters (who should run towards you anyway) move to a field with a wolf.

This is very useful. I missed that wording as well, just assuming that he always has to follow the same order for the wolves. I am interested now to use this technique.

Vardaine wrote:
Since there is no final boss in this legend, herbs and gold can be used for other things once you feel like you can safely beat the Trolls. Moving with herbs may indeed be an excellent idea in this specific Legend. Also, water flasks can also be very useful once you have enough strength. As with any legend, use the extra hours of each day sparingly and with great purpose. But if you feel that you need them, by all means use them!

So far I have just used gold for Strength points, but I can see how water flasks (Wineskins) would be really useful. Safely beating the trolls is the tricky part. I'll just keep practicing

Thanks again for all your advice and time. Much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Brooks
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One more play test through tonight. Failed Miserably. Trolls rolling too high (double sixes)

Ran into the situation where I had monster movement problems again. This time at the Tavern space (#72). I had a troll in that space, and then placed a new troll in the space right beside it (space 34). The Troll in space 72 doesn't move at the beginning of the new day. The Troll in space 34 should enter space 72, but can't and there is no logical place for it to leap-frog.

Does it go instead to Space 35? The rules on legend card A4 state if a creature cannot reach a higher number than their current space it stops. This would indicate to me that I should move 34 to 35 (Still a higher space, just not the Highest one, which was blocked), but maybe it should mean he stops at 34.

Anyway, just an observation. A little glitch that would be nice if it had an even answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Brooks
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
O.K. Last post I promise.

What I love about Andor, is that at it's heart it's really a puzzle game, disguised as an adventure game. It's wonderful that as you play it you don't feel like you are doing a Rubik's cube.

But when you finally solve the puzzle - Oooh, that is so good. And it uncovers the genius behind the game design. Real genius, if you ask me. I could never design a puzzle anything like this.

I played one more round of "The Hunt" tonight and played particular attention to the FAQ sheet that comes with the card set. And that gave me the eureka moment. I then had to slowly work out the theory step by step as I played, very judiciously watching all the movements on the board.

I managed to finish the legend without loosing a single wolf. I back tracked everything to be sure. Puzzle Solved. The last play of the game left Orfen (me), Thorald and my first wolf in the same space.

Awesome.

Of course, there was some luck involved too. But that just makes me want to see if I can do it again.

If you are dying to know how it's done, send me a message sometime. Even with the monster movement glitches it can be done fairly, I am pretty sure.

Thanks to all to contributed to this thread. And to Michael Menzel for designing such a great Game. Now for more English bonus material!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls