George I.
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there; spell Possess states:

Possess spell wrote:
One enemy does not attack. In the Attack phase gain Attack equal to its Attack including elements (if any) but ignore special abilities. You can target only other enemies with that attack.
According to the rulebook, Blue City defenders get a bonus to their attacks:

MK Rulebook, p.9 wrote:
In the Blue city, all defenders get +2 Attack
if they have Ice Attack or Fire Attack, and +1 Attack if they have Cold Fire Attack.
So, what happens if I possess a defender with an elemental attack? Do I receive its bonus? It's not a special ability per se, but a direct bonus to its attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say no, but it seems open to both interpretations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought special ability means poison, paralysis, brutality, etc. The city bonus does not seem like a special ability, but rather a different stat at that point in time. I would allow the extra attack.

Contrast this with Krang's Puppet Master skill. If you defeat the enemy and take its token as a puppet, I would say the increase in attack does not follow the token, since it is no longer defending the blue city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I understand the city defense bonus is not a special ability. The unclear point is whether the possessed unit counts as a defender.

I'm not sure if there is a clear definition of what counts as a city defender in the rulebook that can be referred to. Enemy tokens in the city are often referred as garrisoned units in other parts of the rules. If "defender" and garisoned units is the same thing for cities (they refer to location), then it should get the bonus. If "defender" implies a unit attacking the attacker/player, then one might argue that the possessed unit would not gain the bonus.

Since the theme of the Possess spell implies that the targeted unit attacks with you against the enemy tokens, it would be considered a garrisoned unit still.

My quick skimming through the rulebook gave me the impression that defender and garrisoned unit are equivalent in regards to cities and simply refer to the location of the token, so imo you should gain the bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Kazimierczuk
Poland
Sulejówek
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tokou wrote:
From what I understand the city defense bonus is not a special ability. The unclear point is whether the possessed unit counts as a defender.
I would say, it's no matter whether a possessed unit counts as a defender. It was a defender when targeted by the spell, which transferred the whole attack value the unit had when it was about to change sides.

Edit: I have another question relating to the topic. If the possessed unit has two or more separate attacks, what value does the player gain precisely?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vexi
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Canisek wrote:
Edit: I have another question relating to the topic. If the possessed unit has two or more separate attacks, what value does the player gain precisely?
I would say both, but I couldn't find an official answer. And since they are separate Attacks I think the player can also split these Attack values against different enemies (or enemy groups) if he so chooses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls