Popular Tags: [View All]
Oliver Brettschneider
Germany
Mainz
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's just me struggling with the translation, or the organization of the rulebook, but in yesterday's first game we came up with a bunch of questions, so I decided to start a rules questions thread (the answers will be compiled into an official FAQ). If you add questions, and your questions get answered, please edit your post accordingly, so that everyone else doesn't have to read through all the replies. If you answer the question, please point out where your answer stems from (rulebook p. XX, Designer's reply, etc).

Here are my questions:

1) Adjacency: Judging from the image on page 15, we deducted that adjacency also works diagonal. So for example, characters standing diagonally next to an erupting geyser would also be affected by it. Is that correct?
Status - Answered: Several sources say that this is true.

2) Is it possible to jump diagonally? The image on p. 12 suggests it can be any square on the other side. That is especially interesting for the center chasm on tile t-5, because it also covers a corner.
Status - Answered: Yes. See follow-up question below.

3) Can I shove a foe while in CQC? Cause that would be the same as Brake Away... Furthermore, can I shove a foe into a chasm to get rid of him?
Status - Answered: User Mabertos below is right; the rules say you may shove "other characters", and the Gameplay video from Radical Games has a character being shoved into a chasm. Also, the video and the image on p. 12 clarify that the victim can be moved to any square adjacent to the shoving character. And according to the designer, even the Zombie can be shoved.

4) Can I move regularly onto a new tile and THEN decide to run?
Status - Answered: Quick reference sheet says: "At the beginning of your turn you can declare Running...".

5) On the bottom of page 10, they talk about initiative and sequence. What exactly is meant by "sequence"? The order of play?
Status - Answered by Mabertos and Gameplay video. "Sequence" means the order of play. Also, having the Initiative doesn't mean you always have to go first; you can decide on any order. The Gameplay video from Radical Games has the captain decide even during the turn which player is up next. It also indicates that - as another player achieves more Prestige and thus gains the Initiative - that player gets to decide who goes next (among the players who didn't have their turn yet).

6) Legendary items: The Adventure Book tells you when you find those, so they don't get shuffled in the Exploration deck. But does the player who found them get to keep them for later adventures, or does he have to discard them like any other found items? Also, on page 10, it says there is a maximum of 3 additional gear cards the character can hold. Can I still use the Explore action if I am at that limit? Do I have to drop one item first (spending 1 AP), or can I explore first and then maybe use that new card straight away (food, for example)? Also, do dropped items simply disappear, or can they be picked up again by anyone?
Status - Answered by designer: A Legendary Item stays with the character who found it; he can use it in the next adventure(s). If he ever loses it, it goes into the Exploration deck.
Before Exploring, you need to get down under your card limit (3 cards plus initial gear). You can either discard or drop an item (1AP, but it can be picked up again later).
Dropped items remain in the square they were dropped in, until (like Fallen-Foe tokens) there is no pirate on their tile at the end of the turn.

7) The Bear Totem grants +1 wound in CQC. Does that mean if I strike and miss, I still deal out 1 wound? Or does it only work on a successful strike?
Status - Answered by designer: The Bear Totem bonus wound only applies on a successful attack.

8) Voyage rules say that the adventure book tells me when to do a voyage. Do we presume correctly that any indicated outward voyage must be done before the island adventure, and any return voyage afterwards? But then, why (if the game is a consecutive campaign) does the first adventure direct us to island W, while the second starts at island S?
Status - Answered in this thread: It's Outward Voyage phase => Adventure phase => Return Voyage phase => Port phase. And the designer claims that W and S are just two corners of the same (apparently very big!) island.

9) The Enemy Sheets have two different sets of values (left and right). Which apply when?
Status - Answered: Advanced Enemies mode on p.20 states that there is an optional second difficulty level for each enemy.

10) Fallen-Foe tokens: Page 17 says "remove from squares without characters on them". Shouldn't it read "...from tiles..."?
Status - Answered by logic: Only "Tiles" makes sense. Must be a typo.

11) Voodoo Shaman Cards have a level stated next to their names. Where/what are the rules for that?
Status - Answered: Page 38 lists a "Voodoo Shaman Level II" skill, so obviously you can only use level I cards until you learned that skill.

12) How many zombies can the Voodoo Shaman control simultaneously? Can characters pass through a square with a zombie if the Shaman agrees with it?
Status - Answered. The special note on p.9 says that the voodoo doll cannot be used again until the (1st) zombie has been defeated, and the designer revealed that you can pass through a square with a zombie (or shove it).

13) Movement rules on page 11 say that water zones are marked by a dotted line. I presume this should read "blue line".
Status - Answered. Another typo - only "blue lines" makes sense.

14) Repeat an attack with the same hand: The last sentence tells us to ignore the penalty if the character performs any other action between the two attacks. So I can attack a foe, drop any item, and attack the same foe again without penalty? Any other actions I might do to avoid the penalty?
Status - Answered by the designer: Between attacks, you may Search, Switch Gear, Pick/Use/Drop, Open Door, Revive, Reload, or attack with the other hand - all of these will nullify the penalty. Also, that penalty means both the -1D6 and the 3AP (instead of 2AP). So in my example above, I would spend 5 AP (for attack, drop, and 2nd attack).

That's all for now, but I have another session up tonight with possibly more questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giuseppe
Greece
Samos and Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Questions after some sessions.
Official answers in red

1. Do you use 1 DP to reroll 1 dice, all the dice or as many as you want (in one roll)?
2. You make an exploration action and you fail but you roll a 1 gaining 1 DP. Can you use that DP to reroll the failed action?
3. Do you get 1 DP for each 1 or 2 rolled during a failed exploration action?
4. Switch gear action. Can recipients(character not in their turn) equip the items they get or they have to wait for their turn?
5. Can you switch exploration cards?
6. “At the end of the adventure return items to original owner”. This refers to items that have character icons instead of a coin value?
7. Pick/Use/Drop Action. Picking up or Dropping items from/on adjacent spaces or the space the character is on?
Both are true
8. Repeat with the same hand : Costs 3 AP - Lose 1D6. If you make another action in between then the penalty is ignored. Is the above referring only to the lost 1D6?
9. Should I add 5 to crew's morale in case I gain a PS via an voyage event card?
Yes
10. ”Goods” tokens are limited to supply?
Yes
11. “The Compass will not turn during a sea enemy event, neither will any sea events be played. The Captain is not allowed to reach the goal square during an event.” Can someone explain the above rule? What is the difference between sea event phase and sea enemy event?
When a sea enemy event is played, then, until that enemy is gone there 3 changes to the rules.
a. The compass does not move
b. When the captain rolls for movement, 1s or 2s cannot trigger an event card.
c.The captain is not allowed to reach destination.

12. How do we figure out how Royal Marines are outnumbering our party? By tile or by adjacency?
The latter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mabertos Luis
Spain
flag msg tools
Imagine wrote:
Maybe it's just me struggling with the translation, or the organization of the rulebook, but in yesterday's first game we came up with a bunch of questions, so I decided to start a rules questions thread (which might later be compiled into a FAQ). Here goes:

1) Adjacency: Judging from the image on page 15, we deducted that adjacency also works diagonal. So for example, characters standing diagonally next to an erupting geyser would also be affected by it. Is that correct?

2) Is it possible to jump diagonally? The image on p. 12 suggests it can be any square on the other side. That is especially interesting for the center chasm on tile t-5, because it also covers a corner.

3) Repeat an attack with the same hand: The last sentence tells us to ignore the penalty if the character performs any other action between the two attacks. So I can attack a foe, drop any item, and attack the same foe again without penalty? Any other actions I might do to avoid the penalty?

3) Can I shove a foe while in CQC? Cause that would be the same as Brake Away... Furthermore, can I shove a foe into a chasm to get rid of him?

4) Can I move regularly onto a new tile and THEN decide to run? (Edit: Quick reference sheet says: "At the beginning of your turn you can declare Running...", so that's solved.)

5) On the bottom of page 10, they talk about initiative and sequence. What exactly is meant by "sequence"? The order of play?

6) Legendary items: It says on p. 8 that these should be set aside from the deck. So they are not shuffled into the deck for me to draw when exploring? (Edit: I saw that the Adventure Book tells you when you find those, so they don't go in the deck. But does the player who found them get to keep them for later adventures?) Also, on page 10, it says there is a maximum of 3 additional gear cards the character can hold. Can I still use the Explore action if I am at that limit? Do I have to drop one item first, or can I explore first and then maybe use that new card straight away (food, for example)? Also, do dropped items simply disappear, or can they be picked up again by anyone?

7) The Bear Totem grants +1 wound in CQC. Does that mean if I strike and miss, I still deal out 1 wound? Or does it only work on a successful strike?

8) Voyage rules say that the adventure book tells me when to do a voyage. Do we presume correctly that any indicated outward outward voyage must be done before the island adventure, and any return voyage afterwards? But then, why (if the game is a consecutive campaign) does the first adventure direct us to island W, while the second starts at island S?

9) The Enemy Sheets have two different sets of values (left and right). Which apply when?

10) Fallen-Foe tokens: Page 17 says "remove from squares without characters on them". Shouldn't it read "...from tiles..."?

11) Magic Cards have a level stated next to its name. Where/what are the rules for that?

12) How many zombies can the Voodoo Shaman control simultaneously? Can characters pass through a square with a zombie if the Shaman agrees with it?

13) Movement rules on page 11 say that water zones are marked by a dotted line. I presume this should read "blue line".

That's all for now, but I have another session coming up tonight with possibly more questions.

There're kite a few questions just for starting... most of them are solved in the rules book. I'm going to try to answer them..
@imagine
1) that's correct. Diagonally works as adjacent for all purposes.
2) yes too. Unless that move was not permitted.
3) you can shove just another character, not an enemy. And you can shove him wherever you want.. It's up to you and your conscience.
4) you answered it.
5) that captain or if not, who has higher prestige points, choose who character goes first and the rest, order of play, every single turn. You can change order every turn.
6) you have that limit of three items carring them, but I'd rather use character strength. If you find more than that, you must drop one (1AP) marking it with a token and place the card next to the tile on the table, for later use...
7) I understand in a successful attack.
8) island W is our tortoise island, pirate home.
9) you choose, second colum is a harder play mode.
10) tiles
11) as a voodoo magician you can develop a new skill for achieving more power, level 2. You must do it in port phase.
12) just one. And about passing through it, I suppose so.
13) yes, blue lines...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Brettschneider
Germany
Mainz
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
giuseppelepew wrote:
Questions after some sessions.
Official answers in red

1. Do you use 1 DP to reroll 1 dice, all the dice or as many as you want (in one roll)?
2. You make an exploration action and you fail but you roll a 1 gaining 1 DP. Can you use that DP to reroll the failed action?
4. Switch gear action. Can recipients(character not in their turn) equip the items they get or they have to wait for their turn?
5. Can you switch exploration cards?
6. “At the end of the adventure return items to original owner”. This refers to items that have character icons instead of a coin value?
7. Pick/Use/Drop Action. Picking up or Dropping items from/on adjacent spaces or the space the character is on?
Both are true
8. Repeat with the same hand : Costs 3 AP - Lose 1D6. If you make another action in between then the penalty is ignored. Is the above referring only to the lost 1D6?
9. Should I add 5 to crew's morale in case I gain a PS via an voyage event card?
Yes
10. ”Goods” tokens are limited to supply?
Yes
11. “The Compass will not turn during a sea enemy event, neither will any sea events be played. The Captain is not allowed to reach the goal square during an event.” Can someone explain the above rule? What is the difference between sea event phase and sea enemy event?
When a sea enemy event is played, then, until that enemy is gone there 3 changes to the rules.
a. The compass does not move
b. When the captain rolls for movement, 1s or 2s cannot trigger an event card.
c.The captain is not allowed to reach destination.

12. How do we figure out how Royal Marines are outnumbering our party? By tile or by adjacency?
The latter

1. The Gameplay Video has the player re-roll all her dice from that roll.
2. We asked ourselves the same question, but decided that it wouldn't make sense.
3. The rules are unclear. We decided that you only get 1 DP.
4. Unclear. Possibly.
5. If they are items, I don't see why not.
6. I think so, because on p.6 it says that "Any item card not used by the end of the adventure (...) will be discarded and returned to the Exploration deck." So I figure the starting equipment goes back to the depicted character.
8. The way we understand it, yes. However, it is unclear to us what those "other actions" can be. Like, could we just spend 1 AP to drop an item, and get rid of that 1D6 penalty?! What exactly can and can't you do in CQC?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Brettschneider
Germany
Mainz
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Mabertos: Thanks!

Regarding question #2 ("Is it possible to jump diagonally?"), which of the three color-coded squares can my cook leap to in the situation pictured below?
Designer's Answer: "all three".

And can a character leap from A to B?
Designer's Answer: "yes".

Two other situations regarding movement: Can my cook go past the Shaman (who is in CQC with a Royal Guard), if the Shaman agrees? If the Shaman doesn't agree, can my cook shove him out of the way, thus breaking the Shaman out of CQC?
Designer's Answer: "yes to both".

And in the picture below, do I assume correctly that if the cook (A) wants to engage the Royal Marine (B) in CQC, he has to shove one of the other characters out of the way and pick up the Fallen-Foe token first? So if the other characters let him pass, he actually cannot engage, because he cannot pick up the FF token BEFORE reaching that square (as required by the rules)?
Designer's Answer: "correct".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Psycho Wolf
Germany
Saarbrücken
flag msg tools
mb
Salve Oliver,

on 6) on page 8 it said "When a character loses them to any effect or indicated on the adventure ("Escaping Death" or "Shipwreck")..."
This refers to adventures after been sunken or defeated, therefore I would suggest that you can keep them until such an event.

7) also would suggest only on a successful attack

8) maybe a typo. Actually the whole rulebook seems to me a bit piece by piece-work. Changing something here and there, but not consistent...

12) One since you only have one zombie token. And on page 9 in the gray-brown box at the bottom it says: "The Voodoo Doll won't be placed on the slots for magic cards, but it cannot be used again until the zombie has been defeated"

14) would be also my question. Seems a bit odd to me, dropping something to ignore the penalty. An offcicial answer here would be great! Also what penalty is ignored. Both (3AP) or just the -1D6.

2) the white one of course, the red one is a "No" because you aren't allowed to hit the edge of the red line. The green one is a hard one and maybe has to be ruled either by Errata/FAQ or house rule

Shoving a character to avoid the "Break away" is legit, I think. It's more a question if you grant him that...
But we never allow to shove, the characters always have to roll dice, since otherwise it would be a free move action for the shoved character.
Regarding the Fallen-foe token it says that You are not allowed to end your movement on it. But nothing about performing actions on it. So it's quite unclear what happens if you try to kill the Marine, but failing and don't get away anymore, since your "Break away" also fails.
In case of Marines I think they will enter the square and leave it, since they don't need to break away. In your specific example the Marine would shot at the Skipper anyway.

At this point I have another question:
Can you search a character even if foes are surrounding you? Seems a little bit odd and I'm thinking about a house rule regarding this, if not mentioned in a errata or FAQ.

One last question. When des goal token, items with gold etc. will be counted for coins and PP? And what happens with PP < 10 if we have to reset them for the next adventure. Didn't understand the whole system at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Brettschneider
Germany
Mainz
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@PsychoWolf: Okay, but what about the green cube?

Re your last question, The second (unnumbered!) page of the adventure book says that you receive PP from goals and coins from Exploration cards after the completion of the adventure. We didn't see anything about resetting PP, so we just kept them.

Goal 3 of the first adventure says that "the character who reaches the rowboat will leave he beach and save himself" (if conditions are met). What about any remaining characters - the rowboat will be gone?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfonso Prieto
Spain
Villanueva del Pardillo
Madrid
flag msg tools
My two cents on this very useful tread:

Imagine wrote:

Status - Unanswered. Mabertos suggests that the player can choose the difficulty of the opponent.

It's correct. You can find it in the supplementary rules section - Advanced enemy mode (p.20). It's up to you to set up the game in "hard mode"

Quote:
14) Repeat an attack with the same hand: The last sentence tells us to ignore the penalty if the character performs any other action between the two attacks. So I can attack a foe, drop any item, and attack the same foe again without penalty? Any other actions I might do to avoid the penalty?
Status - Unanswered.

The rulebook gives another example (p.15): you can fight an enemy, shoot another enemy and fight the first enemy again, this last attach without penalty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Psycho Wolf
Germany
Saarbrücken
flag msg tools
mb
Imagine wrote:
@PsychoWolf: Okay, but what about the green cube?

Re your last question, The second (unnumbered!) page of the adventure book says that you receive PP from goals and coins from Exploration cards after the completion of the adventure. We didn't see anything about resetting PP, so we just kept them.

Goal 3 of the first adventure says that "the character who reaches the rowboat will leave he beach and save himself" (if conditions are met). What about any remaining characters - the rowboat will be gone?!

Regarding the green one I also updated my previous post, but I'd say we need an Errata/FAQ for that one or house rule it with your own gaming group somehow.

My question arises because if you're knocked out, you loose all your coins and PP accumulated during the current adventure. Therefore you somehow have to keep track of where you've started. Furthermore on pg. 10 the "Characters Turn" is determined by the one with the highest Prestige Points, but the first Initiative goes to the Captain?! So at this point are just counting PP earned during this adventure or the whole game? But if for the whole game, why the captain would have the initiative "at the beginning of an adventure".
Maybe I'm to stuck to the wordings here, but a solution would be great.

14) as far as I understand this right now I'd say it's like:
Attacking with wrong hand (unless Ambidextrous) always gives penalty -1D6.
First Attack CQC/RC for 2AP
Second Attack with same Hand (3 AP) and if no action in between also -1D6
Second Attack with other Hand (2 AP)
Consecutive Attacks always 2 AP and penalty for wrong hand.

Regarding the rowboat, since there are no enemies anymore, it's not that relevant, but I think we can consider the rowboat to drive back and forth until all characters alive have left the beach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giuseppe
Greece
Samos and Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

1)Can we shove a pirate when he is engaged with an enemy?
Yes, you can do it.
2)So I have a sword on the strong hand and I want to fight 2 times with the same hand.
The first time the attack costs 2AP
Then I make a picking up fallen-foe action(can I do that action when I have enemies adjacent to me?)
The second time I attack there is no pentalty(-1D6). What about AP?Is it still 3AP for the second attack or 2AP?
You can "Search" with an adjacent enemies. When you do an action between two attacks ignore this penalty. The cost of the second attack is 2PA.
3) We had the Gunner character. He has the Granade item. The grenade has a firearm icon. So can the grenade be reloaded or it is use once per adventure item?
Only once per adventure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Brettschneider
Germany
Mainz
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@giuseppe: Are those answers official? Where did you get them?

I hope that - if we keep bugging the designers via kickstarter messages - they will start replying to the other questions here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giuseppe
Greece
Samos and Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the answers in red are official. Contacted via facebook. I sent them the link to this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Psycho Wolf
Germany
Saarbrücken
flag msg tools
mb
giuseppelepew wrote:

2)So I have a sword on the strong hand and I want to fight 2 times with the same hand.
Then I make a picking up fallen-foe action(can I do that action when I have enemies adjacent to me?)
The second time I attack there is no pentalty(-1D6). What about AP?Is it still 3AP for the second attack or 2AP?
You can "Search" with an adjacent enemies. When you do an action between two attacks ignore this penalty. The cost of the second attack is 2PA.
Ok, but than I didn't get why somebody should ever spend 3 AP for a much weakend attack, if I could spend 1 AP for "Switch Gear" (maybe just reordering your backpack)/"Pick up"/"Drop" and afterwards 2 AP for a regular attack?!
So why this rule, when it will never find any use...

Another question just came to my mind regarding the monkey of the Captain's Daughter. How often is she allowed to use the monkey, just once per turn or every time she is adjacent to a Fallen-foe token?

Furtheron about the movement of the enemies:
As soon as they are engaged in CQC, will they move further or even back such that other enemies have the possibility to attack or does they stay at their square until defeated or knocked out the characer?
If they don't move aside it's very simple to put them in a bottleneck defeating one after another. Don't know if that have been the intention.
Or can enemies (and characters) cross the borders of a tile not containing an exit or is it treated as a red line? Also in respect to Sight Line?
And what about movement if they don't see anyone? Are we loud enough, so they still will go after us?

A last question so far:
If I draw a new map tile with several exits. The map so far is placed in such a way that one exit of the new tile would be placed at the border of another tile but not at an exit. Is that possible or is that what is meant by tile design limitations in the regarding section?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giuseppe
Greece
Samos and Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PsychoWolf wrote:
giuseppelepew wrote:

Ok, but than I didn't get why somebody should ever spend 3 AP for a much weakend attack, when spending 1 AP for "Switch Gear" (maybe just reordering your backpack)/"Pick up"/"Drop" and afterwards 2 AP for a regular attack.
So why this rule, when it will never find any use...

That's what I thought also and I am going to houserule it to 2AP -1D6 for each consecutive attack.Seems more reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Psycho Wolf
Germany
Saarbrücken
flag msg tools
mb
giuseppelepew wrote:
That's what I thought also and I am going to houserule it to 2AP -1D6 for each consecutive attack.Seems more reasonable.

For characters with value 2 in CQC the loss of one die is quite harsh in my opinion.
Also I think spending one more AP is reasonable since you have to take a swing again, but the attack itself is not such weakend that it could be compared with an attack with the "false" hand.

This is just my opinion about it. But maybe we get an official statement why and when this rule will apply, so that will solve our struggle...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giuseppe
Greece
Samos and Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here an example of playing event during the Voyage phase
SeaDog is the captain

Cutthroat(7PP)
Gunner(5PP)
Lookout(4PP)

So the Captain rolls for movement. He gets an 1 amonsts other results.
He finishes his movement. And the he first asks Lookout ta play an event. Lookout plays an enemy event.
The captain defeats the sea enemy but Lookout has gained +2PP. So the new rank is:

Cutthroat(7PP)
Lookout(6PP)
Gunner(5PP)

Next time the captain rolls an 1 or 2. From whom is he going to start asking for events? Cuttthroat(7PP) or Gunner(5PP)?

Gunner,(skip Lookout) then Cutthroat. And then if there is no change on PP Gunner->Lookout->Cutthoat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giuseppe
Greece
Samos and Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PsychoWolf wrote:
giuseppelepew wrote:

For characters with value 2 in CQC the loss of one die is quite harsh in my opinion.
Also I think spending one more AP is reasonable since you have to take a swing again, but the attack itself is not such weakend that it could be compared with an attack with the "false" hand.

This is just my opinion about it. But maybe we get an official statement why and when this rule will apply, so that will solve our struggle...

On the other hand, I believe that characters with value 3 in CQC would rather take the risk to make a consecutive attack(-1D6)( 2AP + 2AP = 4AP) than to make an extra action in between attacks. Characters with value 2 in CQC would rather take an extra action between attacke to eliminate the (-1D6) penalty( 2AP + 1AP + 2AP = 5AP). Thematically the above seems right to me. If you are good at swordfighting you can risk it, if you are not, life is harsh. However, thats only theory, I have to try it first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Brettschneider
Germany
Mainz
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had a long chat with Game Designer David Illescas who asks me to relay his answers to our questions here. I will update my own posts in this thread accordingly, and will copy his other answers below (official answers in red, mine in green). I will also start typing up a FAQ (possibly with a house rule section).

giuseppelepew wrote:

You can't use that DP to reroll the failed action. and just 1 DP total.
yes, he can do it.

PsychoWolf wrote:

At this point I have another question:
Can you search a character even if foes are surrounding you? Seems a little bit odd and I'm thinking about a house rule regarding this, if not mentioned in a errata or FAQ.
My Q was "When I'm in CQC, I cannot move until my enemy is dead, but I can perform any other action, right? So, I can Search, or Shove a pirate, or Switch Gear, or even revive, right?" - David's reply was "Right".

As soon as they are engaged in CQC, will they move further or even back such that other enemies have the possibility to attack or does they stay at their square until defeated or knocked out the characer?
If they don't move aside it's very simple to put them in a bottleneck defeating one after another. Don't know if that have been the intention.
That's answered in the rule book (p.17): "Once an enemy becomes engaged in CQC they have to remain in that square until the character is defeated." However (before they make a CQC attack): "Those enemies that attack in CQC must carry out a CQC action against the nearest character within their movement range, so that they make room for other enemies."
Or can enemies (and characters) cross the borders of a tile not containing an exit or is it treated as a red line? Also in respect to Sight Line? Not sure what you mean, but I don't think they can go anywhere outside the tile unless through an exit.
And what about movement if they don't see anyone? Are we loud enough, so they still will go after us? enemies keep following you all the time.
Another question just came to my mind regarding the monkey of the Captain's Daughter. How often is she allowed to use the monkey, just once per turn or every time she is adjacent to a Fallen-foe token?
evertime she is adjacent to a FF token.
My question arises because if you're knocked out, you lose all your coins and PP accumulated during the current adventure. Therefore you somehow have to keep track of where you've started. Furthermore on pg. 10 the "Characters Turn" is determined by the one with the highest Prestige Points, but the first Initiative goes to the Captain?! So at this point are just counting PP earned during this adventure or the whole game? But if for the whole game, why the captain would have the initiative "at the beginning of an adventure".
Maybe I'm to stuck to the wordings here, but a solution would be great. only the one gained during this new adventure.
A last question so far:
If I draw a new map tile with several exits. The map so far is placed in such a way that one exit of the new tile would be placed at the border of another tile but not at an exit. Is that possible or is that what is meant by tile design limitations in the regarding section?
Only the exit through which the character entered the new tile has to match (and no overlays). You may close any other exits, it is still legal placement.

And finally a question from me to Giuseppe:
giuseppelepew wrote:
Next time the captain rolls an 1 or 2. From whom is he going to start asking for events? Cuttthroat(7PP) or Gunner(5PP)?

Gunner,(skip Lookout) then Cutthroat. And then if there is no change on PP Gunner->Lookout->Cutthoat.

Why is the Lookout skipped?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giuseppe
Greece
Samos and Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imagine wrote:

giuseppelepew wrote:

Lookout has been asked already in a previous turn(and he played a card). I am trying to figure out in what order the captain asks the rest of the crew to play event cards taking into considaration that pirate's PP can change during the voyage. How do you play this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mabertos Luis
Spain
flag msg tools
FAQ with a hoserule section, great idea.

Some proposals, thematically,

Shove enemies, into chasm...
Chain maximum objects carried to character strength value
Enemies can not jump chasm. It's very odd, and frustrating
Limit number of exploring cards revealed per tile
Can throw any object, not just harming weapons
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Brettschneider
Germany
Mainz
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
giuseppelepew wrote:
Imagine wrote:

giuseppelepew wrote:

Lookout has been asked already in a previous turn(and he played a card).

Am I missing a rule here? I can't for the life of me find anything in the rulebook saying that a player can't play an Event card in two consecutive turns... But I am still puzzled by the voyage phase, anyway.
arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glyn Evans
msg tools
Hi all, I'm prepping for my first game and trying to clarify a few rules before we play so it's as smooth as possible for my group.

A lot of these answers are a big help. There are a few I have that I haven't found clarified yet. I'm going to go through the rules again to be sure before posting, but I do have one question about enemie.

Regarding the Enemies turn in Adventure mode it says they can make a Movement and Attack action. If they can use Ranged Combat then they will make an attack first. After this action should they use their Movement action to attempt to move to engage the player in CQC even though they can't attack till their next turn? Or would they just stay where they are and expect the player to approach?

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giuseppe
Greece
Samos and Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The following diagram is my interpretation of the voyage phase. It has been approved by the designer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Brettschneider
Germany
Mainz
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luthor13 wrote:
Regarding the Enemies turn in Adventure mode it says they can make a Movement and Attack action. If they can use Ranged Combat then they will make an attack first. After this action should they use their Movement action to attempt to move to engage the player in CQC even though they can't attack till their next turn? Or would they just stay where they are and expect the player to approach?
Enemies only move when they cannot attack a character from where they are. However, a Royal Marine who shot (and KOed) a character may then use his movement to move towards the next character, if that character is yet out of reach.

PsychoWolf wrote:
I quizzed David about that, and he confirmed that the bottleneck tactic will work:

"Okay, example: A Royal Marine is 3 squares away from me, and he has line of sight. He shoots at me and misses. So he will stay where he is, because there is no need for him to move. Correct?"
Correct.

"If the Marine from the above example is blocking the way for other Marines behind him, will he use his movement to come closer, so that he will let the other Marines attack, too?"
No, he can't.

giuseppelepew wrote:
The following is a diagram of my rough interpatation of the voayage phase for 3-4 people.

Awesome chart! A few minor notes:
- maybe add "for Vayage Phase Goals" in Step 2
- Step 3: The table is on p.25 (not 23), at least in my English rule book
- Event phase: "...draw a card if you have fewer cards..." (not "fewest")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giuseppe
Greece
Samos and Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imagine wrote:

Awesome chart! A few minor notes:
- maybe add "for Vayage Phase Goals" in Step 2
- Step 3: The table is on p.25 (not 23), at least in my English rule book
- Event phase: "...draw a card if you have fewer cards..." (not "fewest")

Thank you. I made the changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |