Jessica Cowel
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
I absolutely love Gwent from The Witcher 3. Honestly, I actually preferred the Gwent quests from the legitimate Witcher quests in the game and did them first. I got the expansions with the physical decks of cards and they're great but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of games that are similar in mechanics?

I know there are good card games out there like Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, etc but none that have the whole 3 rows concept that Gwent has or the whole idea of rounds and then discard after that round.

I guess my *cough* slight obsession with Gwent has led me to asking you guys your thoughts on something else to quench my thirst for this type of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Wells
Canada
flag msg tools
Ha! I may have a slight obsession with Gwent too! My problem is that I can seldom find other people to even play Gwent with. Honestly, I think people are far too critical on card games (TCGs in particular) - yes, I know there are a bucketload out there but hopefully another good one comes along. The developers of The Witcher 3 could have made a killing with marketing and selling booster packs and all that for Gwent. Heck, they still could. Might be a VERY niche market though if they rely on making their own characters cards. Could you imagine someone that has no idea about The Witcher picking up a Geralt card and thinking "who the f is this?" - Gwent is a fantastic game but I think the characters need to be adjusted if they ever want to go outside their niche. They even said at E3 that the Gwent video game is a fan's game (4 million sold in the first 2 weeks is a good fan base though!).

Back to your question though! I haven't heard of anything like Gwent either. Wish there was something. I'd be on that in a heartbeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Barzaghi
Italy
Nova Milanese
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Condottiere is probably where the whole gwent idea came from.

The rules are very similar (though somewhat simpler):
- in Condottiere there's a map, since you're trying to conquer some regions of Italy by defeating the other players. The battles needed to do so play out almost like Gwent.
- There are only 2 heroes: one with a strength of 10, and one with a strength of 1 (which, if I remember correctly, lets you become the first player).
- there's no distinction between melee, ranged and siege unit.
- there are no healers, muster or those units whose strength doubles when placed near to each other.
- since there's only one type of units, the only weather cards are rain (which reduces the strength of all the units, except heroes, to 1) and sun (whose effect I don't remember correctly, maybe it increases the strength of the strongest units).

As you can see, it's not exactly like gwent, but I can assure you that the feeling they give is the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Cowel
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
abcdeeeeff wrote:
Condottiere is probably where the whole gwent idea came from.

The rules are very similar (though somewhat simpler):
- in Condottiere there's a map, since you're trying to conquer some regions of Italy by defeating the other players. The battles needed to do so play out almost like Gwent.
- There are only 2 heroes: one with a strength of 10, and one with a strength of 1 (which, if I remember correctly, lets you become the first player).
- there's no distinction between melee, ranged and siege unit.
- there are no healers, muster or those units whose strength doubles when placed near to each other.
- since there's only one type of units, the only weather cards are rain (which reduces the strength of all the units, except heroes, to 1) and sun (whose effect I don't remember correctly, maybe it increases the strength of the strongest units).

As you can see, it's not exactly like gwent, but I can assure you that the feeling they give is the same.

I've just bought it on Amazon haha. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll still be on the lookout though (I actually really love the distinction between melee, range and siege units - allows a little bit of strategic deckbuilding to be put into play). I think my #1 problem with Gwent is that there's just not enough cards to make it infinitely replayable!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you know they are actually releasing an entire Gwent video game? http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/13/11923346/the-witcher-3-gwe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
you can't stay angry forever...
badge
...or so i'm told.
mb
There are physical Gwent decks. I received them for purchasing the expansion pass for Witcher 3 and paying 10 bucks each for each box (2 decks per box). Hearts of Stone came with Monsters and Scoiatel, and Blood and Wine came with Northern Realms and Nilfgaard.

I think the promotion is over, but you might be able to find some at GameStops (I saw some in my area), or get them on ebay or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Cowel
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
bradelli wrote:
Did you know they are actually releasing an entire Gwent video game? http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/13/11923346/the-witcher-3-gwe...

I saw that at E3. Looks great! I'd like a physical game though so that I can try to be social haha. Super easy to just sit at home in front of the telly and play with myself but I'm trying to break free from my social anxiety
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Cowel
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
emodiu5 wrote:
There are physical Gwent decks. I received them for purchasing the expansion pass for Witcher 3 and paying 10 bucks each for each box (2 decks per box). Hearts of Stone came with Monsters and Scoiatel, and Blood and Wine came with Northern Realms and Nilfgaard.

I think the promotion is over, but you might be able to find some at GameStops (I saw some in my area), or get them on ebay or something.

I got the physical copies with both expansions. Just looking for something else though. There aren't enough cards in each faction deck to satisfy my craving for replayability. It is very focused on The Witcher series though (cards like Geralt and Triss, etc...) so for someone that has never played the video game, the magic of the game itself might be a bit lost in translation. It'd be great to have a "generic" version - regular monsters that anyone can be familiar with before they even pick up the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanya Brin
New Zealand
flag msg tools
yennifer wrote:
emodiu5 wrote:

I got the physical copies with both expansions. Just looking for something else though. There aren't enough cards in each faction deck to satisfy my craving for replayability. It is very focused on The Witcher series though (cards like Geralt and Triss, etc...) so for someone that has never played the video game, the magic of the game itself might be a bit lost in translation. It'd be great to have a "generic" version - regular monsters that anyone can be familiar with before they even pick up the game.

Completely agree. There needs to be at least double the cards in each faction. I've been on the lookout for a game similar too. I'll keep my eyes open
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alix Hilty
Switzerland
flag msg tools
Bump
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson Charles
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
yennifer wrote:
I know there are good card games out there like Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, etc but none that have the whole 3 rows concept that Gwent has or the whole idea of rounds and then discard after that round.

If you like the 3 rows thing, there's a new game I got yesterday called Elemental Mystics. I love Gwent too and this game delivers all that Gwent does and more. It reminds me a little of a mix between Gwent and Pokemon (both games I love so I'm completely sold!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Brennan
Ireland
flag msg tools
fastenurbelts wrote:
yennifer wrote:

If you like the 3 rows thing, there's a new game I got yesterday called Elemental Mystics. I love Gwent too and this game delivers all that Gwent does and more. It reminds me a little of a mix between Gwent and Pokemon (both games I love so I'm completely sold!).

Thanks for the recommendation! There's not much on the page here on BGG but at least the website has some pretty sweet stuff. Looks great! I've already contacted them to see how I can get a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Cowel
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
fastenurbelts wrote:
yennifer wrote:

Thanks Grayson! I think I remember hearing about this yesterday at an Expo. I'm going there again today so I'll see if I can find something
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanya Brin
New Zealand
flag msg tools
fastenurbelts wrote:
yennifer wrote:

I saw this at the Expo today. One word - EPIC!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanya Brin
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Hey guys, they finally launched on Kickstarter!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/elementalmystics/elemen...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Cowel
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Just ordered mine!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Niemi
Sweden
Ystad
flag msg tools
mb
yennifer wrote:
Just ordered mine!

I also LOVE Gwent!

I searched for Condottiere and can only find Chinese versions... There is one that is (possibly) English on amazon but it goes for 200 GBP, that's a bit too much for a card game... Where did you find yours?

I check out Elemental Mystics as well, looks gold! Did you ever recive your copy of the game? Seems like it was never released since kickstarter failed..? cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omer Elfassy
Israel
flag msg tools
Runewards...

https://www.runewards.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi3laYAMDTKRrcqtLiPIphQ/vid...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls