Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When it comes to irreplaceable gaming components i'm a bit OCD. In the case of Eldritch Horror, it's the Clue Tokens which trigger it. If one gets lost, i've either got to live without using that space on the board for the rest of my natural life or i've got to replace all tokens with something homemade (the tokens need to be physically identical, thus all would need replacing).

After each game, i carefully count out my clue tokens to make sure they're all accounted for before packing up.

One might reasonably categorize this behaviour a Condition :/.

So... in order to preempt such a tragedy as losing a valued token (and the ensuing mental anguish), i ordered some 25mm green plastic chips and stickers to fit them. i wasn't patient enough to create nice SVG-format labels and get them all aligned up right for my printer, but maybe someone with more artistic talent than i might be inspired to do so:

(i have the printable sheets of stickers, just haven't felt inspired to actually fiddle with them.)

The Egypt and Antarctica tokens (not shown here) are marked with orange resp. blue highlighter markers to make them distinct.

The only down-side, currently, is the lack of a visually distinctive marker on top of the chips (i.e. no magnifying glass label), which makes it more difficult for the eyes to distinguish them the board. i'm considering placing brightly-colored dot stickers on the top sides (probably orange) to help alleviate that. OTOH, i've got a separate shipment of bright green translucent bingo chips (which are visually more distinct) on the way, and may replace these tokens with those ones when they arrive.

Another alternative to the "visually distinct" problem would be to use thicker wooden chips (say, 3mm thick, 15-20mm across), as their height would make them stick out. They'd take up much more space in storage, though. Something like http://www.spielematerial.de/en/scheiben-19x4-mm.html (21x4mm).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.litko.net/search.php?search_query=Clue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:

!!! beautiful !!!

Unfortunately in the US, which means shipping costs would be prohibitive (and they're a bit pricier than i would like). But i'll keep an eye out for these in Europe.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

!!! beautiful !!!

Unfortunately in the US, which means shipping costs would be prohibitive (and they're a bit pricier than i would like). But i'll keep an eye out for these in Europe.

Thanks!
There are at least 3 Litko stockists in UK. I'd be surprised if you have none in Germany!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
There are at least 3 Litko stockists in UK. I'd be surprised if you have none in Germany!

UK shipping normally isn't bad (at least until the UK finishes Brexiting, at which point it'll likely go up). So far i've only found one distributor but they only deal in the foam and casing bits, plus a very limited collection of generic plastic pieces, nothing game-specific .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

UK shipping normally isn't bad (at least until the UK finishes Brexiting, at which point it'll likely go up). So far i've only found one distributor but they only deal in the foam and casing bits, plus a very limited collection of generic plastic pieces, nothing game-specific .
You mean the only DE stockist you've found does only foam and casing? The UK one seem to be full stockists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
sgbeal wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

You mean the only DE stockist you've found does only foam and casing? The UK one seem to be full stockists.

No, i mean UK. See http://www.litko.net/pages/Retailers-%26-Distributors.html.

That one ("Figures in Comfort") has only a small collection of generic plastic parts.

i haven't found one in Germany, but haven't looked beyond what google suggests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgameextras.co.uk/index.php?cat=272&category=...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:

My. Jaw. Has. Just. Dropped.
My inner child now loves you.
My wallet hates you.

(That was a Haiku.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunno if you're up for more bling, but... : http://stonemaiergames.com/games/treasure-chests/adventure-a...

When playing EH, a player will draw a clue token from the bag, but not place it on the board or do anything dependent on the unique location on the clue. That's when I'll just use a generic clue token, particularly when the bag is on the other side of the board!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Dunno if you're up for more bling, but... : http://stonemaiergames.com/games/treasure-chests/adventure-a...

i'm always up for more bling for my favourite games . Currently awaiting some translucent bingo tokens to replace Storm markers in Elder Sign.

Sam and Max wrote:

When playing EH, a player will draw a clue token from the bag, but not place it on the board or do anything dependent on the unique location on the clue. That's when I'll just use a generic clue token, particularly when the bag is on the other side of the board!

As a solo player, i probably couldn't justify it, as the token bag is always right next to me :/.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Sam and Max wrote:

i'm always up for more bling for my favourite games . Currently awaiting some translucent bingo tokens to replace Storm markers in Elder Sign.

Sam and Max wrote:

As a solo player, i probably couldn't justify it, as the token bag is always right next to me :/.
Old of course it has an important game effect in that by not using a Clue from the bag, you are not removing a Clue that would go on a location and you are extending the period before you have to refill the Clue bag (I know, a rare event anyway, but this makes it more rare)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Old of course it has an important game effect in that by not using a Clue from the bag, you are not removing a Clue that would go on a location and you are extending the period before you have to refill the Clue bag (I know, a rare event anyway, but this makes it more rare)

True enough, but does that ever actually happen in a 4-Investigator game? i've yet to see it happen (close, but not quite), but could conceive of it happening if more clues are spawned per round (6+ Investigators).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.