4 Posts

Kingsport Festival» Forums » Rules

Subject: raids and raid spell timing question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
robert baynosa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in kingsburg, you buy troops to bolster your defense before the raid card is revealed.

however, i saw a video playthrough of kinsport and the players played their raid spells after the event and investigator cards were already revealed. i looked through the manual and the one example given there doesnt necessarily say whether the raid spell cards should (picked and) played before or after the raid itself.

to me, it would seem like to easy a game if you only use the spell cards when you already know the raid effects- but then again i just got the game and havent played yet.

so what is the official rule on this. thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You flip over the Investigator in step 2 of Resolving Raids, while buffing effects you use are played/used during step 3.

Whether or not avoiding Raids is easy isn't really the point, at least it doesn't make the game easy, since your competition isn't the Investigators or the game, it's the other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert baynosa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok thanks. reread the rulebook and yes i believe thats how its supposed to be played.

i just feel it takes away a lot of tension from the raids, especially since you have to invest resources before the raid in kingsburg before you know what the attack value is. sure the other players are really your competition but the unpredictability of raids in kingsburg really added to the game (tension/excitement) and it seems that was taken out or severely reduced in kingsport. may just decide to houserule this but need to play the game first

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
travelbug wrote:
ok thanks. reread the rulebook and yes i believe thats how its supposed to be played.

i just feel it takes away a lot of tension from the raids, especially since you have to invest resources before the raid in kingsburg before you know what the attack value is. sure the other players are really your competition but the unpredictability of raids in kingsburg really added to the game (tension/excitement) and it seems that was taken out or severely reduced in kingsport. may just decide to houserule this but need to play the game first
It's been a while since I played this, but I found just having dice, period, was sufficient tension for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls