Subject: Lash Out A34 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Håkan Gunneriusson
Sweden
Östersund
Jämtland
flag msg tools
Long time since I played ASL, the exception is playing Berlin CG with a friend the past year.
Me and another friend decided to go for a couple of games (first I was trenched in “ T6 The Dead of Winter” as German. Not very balanced scenario, but I plan to work on a remake.)

Next day we played “A34 Lash Out” which was a fun experience (yes I won, as the US). The objective is that the Germans shall exit 6 or more VP of the West edge. Fairly small number taken the amount of VP he got at hand.

Germans
14 Squads (10 4-6-7; 4 4-4-7); 4 leaders and 4 LMG + 1 MMG.

The US
6 squads (7-4-7) 3 leaders + 1 MMG and one UK Sherman V(a) with only 3 MF coming in T2.

The board is 16 and as Grain fields are in season there is a large blob of Hindrance turning into obstacles as the fields are large.

I decided to go somewhat offensive with a fall-back line as the US. I set up 1 squad with a 8-1 and the MMG in some Woods further west (25% of the board left so close to exit edge). But He had overwatch on a road between two grain fields up the middle of the board and one road straight across the board (North).

The rest was just west of the middle of the board (I could set up at the middle but then the Germans who are to set up close by would just hail down on them. At least I saw it that way.
3 Squads with the 9-2 on the other side of a hedge just outside the Grain field. As soon as the Germans would get moving into the Grain field that stack would have decent shots at them.
2 squads with a 9-1 set up a bit further west in the grain field and thus gaining concealment.

By plan was to be intimidating enough on the North part to get the Germans moving further south on their way west. That would get them in the open by the NMG as the Grain fields did not grow that far west in the south. That did not work out. The German player had 2 kill stacks with 20 FP as a firebase which plodded forward taking aim at the guys in North (all but one US squad). Immediately one squad broke at the hedge and run for a house 3 hexes west. I had planned to have that as a retreat but not that soon and not broken.

Here in this grain filed the majority of the fighting was taking place. I soon had to abandon the hedge as the kill stacks was a bit too much to overcome. At one point all but one squad was broken in the fields and the Germans did a rush to exploit this. I had luck with the rally and gut them back up at that time and could deliver some devastating fire on one kill stack in the open close to the before mentioned house (they had jumped over the hedge as there was no effective opposition). The German had 2 heroes and I had a 10-2 instead of the 9-2 at this stage. I did also break the majority of the other kill stack now so there was a lull in the fighting at this stage, the US had recently routed back so they were also leaving some slack hex-wise. At that stage the German jumped into the house with 1 Squad and one leader vs one 747. (I had not fought them as I aimed at the kill stack with that squad, breaking it. Now I paid the price). The Germans got Ambush but somehow I managed to survive as did the attackers. The following turn another German squad jumped into the CC. I took out one squad but the CC died in the house. Just after that the German leader in the house decided to go berserk and encouraged the squad he had with him to do the same. At that time my few men left were at a hedge the other side of the road the MG watched North- South. The Sherman had plodded beside the MG and taken up a good fire lane position there (I thus moved the MG up one hex to watch the flank at the Open ground where the Germans might come out of the grain fields).

At this stage (turn 5 of 7) the German realised that he had to just go for it in order to exit his 6 VP. So he did. The berserker run towards the hedge onto the road where the Sherman cut the squad down with a fire lane. In the CC phase the leader went into CC and got killed by the 747 with leaders (a new 7-0 and the 9-1) waiting for him.

A bunch off the Germans could not exit in time due to being forced to rout a couple of times. The 3 German squads with leaders left in the field with a decent chance to go for it did break just before entering the Fire lane, shot on by HE from the Sherman and a 747 with the 10-2 on the other side of the hedge (the other squad and HS left beside the MG guys was fending of the berserker. The MG squad ignored the Germans rushing in the open and helped cutting down those Germans which mattered in the grain field. In that process they broke when the German stragglers came at the MG over the open Ground. The fighting had a bit of American Civil War looming over it at this stage.

That was the end of it. We played the German Turn out. Another German Hero (the Germans had 2 heroes and one heroic leader, the one who went berserker!) jumped on top of the Sherman and killed (no AATM) it after he had failed PF check along with a leader and a squad which had gotten within range.

The Germans was just short of some hexes in being able to exit the required VPs. The US lines was thin and could probably not hold the Germans of much longer. But that was perhaps because the Germans focused a bit too much on fighting and too little on advancing.

In total 2 sq+1 HS lost for the US and about 2 Sq for the Germans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Cocke
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a lot of fun. I like the ACW "charge through the grain field" image.

I also think it is a fun scenario, but even fun scenarios don't _always_ work out well.

Two little things:
AFV cannot lay firelanes.
Heroes are not subject to Heat of Battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan Gunneriusson
Sweden
Östersund
Jämtland
flag msg tools
Thanks for the input, still shaking of the rust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls