Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Bywater
United Kingdom
Sale
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Hiya all

I have just purchased this game and I`m working my way through the rules and have a question re track placement.

Is it legal for NYNHH to place counter A9 as below therefore blocking NYC?

[url]
[/url]

Cheers

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evelin Auger
Canada
Portneuf
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, no problem. New York central will have to go the other side and wait for the green tiles to improve his rails. Some will say it is not very gentle and some will say this is the way to play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"not very gentle"

You, sir, have lead a sheltered life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evelin Auger
Canada
Portneuf
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fluffyevil wrote:
"not very gentle"

You, sir, have lead a sheltered life.

And since 1830 should be classified as a wargame, being gentle won't be a good shelter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bywater
United Kingdom
Sale
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Thanks for your replies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I'm explaining rules like this, I'll say, "A player could be mean and orient the tile this way to temporarily block someone. But of course we're all gentlemen here so that's not going to happen is it?" I'll then look up with a devil - and everyone gets the message!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
I noticed this on a recent play and realized just how brutal 1830 can be from the very first tile lays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mitton
United States
North Andover
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this teaches you a lesson about opening the NYC without the NH's cooperation. Actually it's more normal for the NH player to build to Providence. The NYC player should not expect to get into NY city from that angle, head for the other NW face, and allow for southern building. Experienced players will often wait till green's have broken to open NYC.

And we haven't even gotten to the discussion of double dot tiles.... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris District
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dmitton wrote:
And we haven't even gotten to the discussion of double dot tiles.... shake

Please, do go on...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John David Galt
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, the only things even slightly unusual about this play are that the double-dit tile wasn't #1, and that someone was so naïve as to start the NYC.

This is also why I tried to get Mayfair to add tiles 630-633 (from 1841) and 87, 88, and 204 (from 1835) to the 1830 tile set -- so that players could build around this kind of obstruction when (not if) it happens. They didn't go along, but there's no reason you couldn't do it as a variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Campau
United States
Mt Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if anyone is still looking at this thread, but while blocking NYC, it doesn't do NYNH much good as now they have to pay $120 to go anywhere decent from there. Unless I am missing something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb

So this placement of the A12 tile is legal as well? Or does it matter that Cleveland cannot be upgraded? I know that I couldn't run rails into Cleveland if the rails don't connect. But I guess it's okay to block the rails coming out of Cleveland (like in this picture), right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Of course.

What in the rules suggested that it might not be legal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing really. Well, not directly. I saw that you cannot have railways run into nowhere (like into the edge of the board). I wondered whether that meant you had to 'properly' connect everything to the grayed out hexes. But it looks like I have to interpret the rules as literal as I usually like to do.

Anyway, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yup, the constraints are:

- Cannot change the type of the hex (eg dit to city).
- Cannot point track into the black edge of a red or gray hex or off the map.
- Placing company must be able to draw a line of track from one of its placed tokens to some track on the tile after it is laced.

As you intuited, as dits don't upgrade, they can be used to build walls and cut off the interests of other companies/players.

BtB I recommend against using the Mayfair rules. Use the AH rules I uploaded instead -- they are much better. Also read Steve Thomas' ambiguities document.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that. I did already download the AH rules as well. What I don't understand though: if the AH rules are ambiguous, what's better about them?

And is there a similar recommended document for the 1830+ scenarios included in the Mayfair edition? Or would you simply use the AH rules as a starting point for these, and then use the Mayfair rules to figure out the scenarios anyway?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
WilbertK wrote:
Thanks for that. I did already download the AH rules as well. What I don't understand though: if the AH rules are ambiguous, what's better about them?

While the AH rules have problems, they are well known and reasonably well defined problems. The Mayfair rules are considerably worse than the AH rules and have neither of those advantages.

Quote:
Or would you simply use the AH rules as a starting point for these, and then use the Mayfair rules to figure out the scenarios anyway?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls