Jan Meyberg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
... actually the idea for this specific house rule roots back to David Reynolds!

As found in Philbar's great compilation of houserules (you'll finde them in the files section!) you can play a more tactical version of combats by placing enemies from an "Attack" (not an Ambush, this is RAW) not onto the currently explored tile.
You add another tile to a random exit of the current tile and draw an appropriate Threat card for THIS tile, placing the enemies there.

As Philbar noted this leaves some time (for the posse!) to react to the newly encountered threat.

Our group started to use this rule three missions ago and found that it helped to even out some overpowerment issues as well:
Our posse fields an horribly OP Gunslinger (Plasma Arc + customized Gunfighter's Pistol; Quickdraw, Cool Hand, Through Shot - add the occasional Huckster with "Rapid Fire" that totals in 4-5 Plasma Arc Hits and 4ish regular hits, all with DS Bullets, through-shooting enemies... you get the point?!) who usually cleans a room all by himself in INI 7 or 10, leaving little to nothing to kill for all the other posse members (besides some REALLY big baddies, whom our Melee Saloon Girl will take care of ;-P ).

Beautiful side effect of the new setup-rule for combat: Our Gunslinger will often have no enemies in range or will have to expose himself by rushing ahead to gain the full effect of his "preemptive nuklear strike". He gets not seriously, but noticeably nerfed by a simple house rule, which otherwise adds some nice tactical depth to combat! We'll definitely keep using this rule!

If there are others out there fielding a Plasma Arc Gunslinger, I'd be really interested to hear your experience with this rule!

Best regards, Jan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Florio
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You absolutely convinced me Jan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had looked at and printed Phil's rules and didn't realize that placement was part of it. I was thinking along those near exact lines with this placement, so I will have to assume that is where I got the idea.

I really like it since you also get to predetermine some of your path as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect the Gunslinger is a problem only at HIGH level. I'm not even 2nd level yet and mine has 2 fairly normal shot. I did get the void pistol but it is in NO way out of control. In fact the Ranger, the Lawman, and the saloon girl are all keeping up perfectly well. In fact the Saloon girl is scoring better. She one-shotted a pretty big monster with her brand new big vicious axe with 1 upgrade and dirty fighting.

I need every trick I can get to stay up with the monsters for now. Any change you make would worry me if it were applied to lower levels of heroes. Of course we can both play with our own house rules (I know I am) but I just thought I'd give a perspective from the beginner's level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Meyberg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello David,

thank you for your interest!
I do perfectly understand your point of veiw - there are definitely certain situations in which Gunslingers are NOT OP anyhow!

I was so glad to have found this rule for tile placement as it a) solves a certain issue WITHOUT punishing the Gunslinger's basic abilities too much: He's still a capable ranged-beast, you'd usually still get an early attack (by the way - which Gunslinger build do you play?), BUT you are not able anymore to unload these too common INI10-Gunloads of amplified doom Gunslingers are well-known (and feared) for in - obviously - far parts of the SoB-community ;-)

I'd like to encourage you to try this house rule, but it's still what it is: A HOUSErule. Thus if you didn't find a flaw with your gunslinger, feel free to skip it - as it tones down MY Gunslinger a bit I was more than happy to implement it, but my GS usually finishes an adventure around 800 XP in front of any other hero, which is way too much IMHO... (with this rule he's still on top, but mere 300 XP, so it's perfectly fine with me!)

May you never run short of special Ammo!

Best regards, Jan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If we're house-ruling anyway, I would not allow DS bullets with weapons like the Plasma Arc that don't fire bullets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Meyberg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I see... ;-)
It's more of ... well ... some Darkstone in a ... kind of ... Battery, supercharging the Plasma, so ... eh ... OK, it doesn't make sense at all! (but I still love it!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kindar donuts
Sweden
flag msg tools
I had these issues as well before I found the official FAQ from FFP. The extra shot from shoot through is a typo and has been corrected. Since it took me long to find the errata and FAQ (and our group really don't want house rules, we want the real thing) I figured I should post it here, so if anybody else has these OP-problems and find this thread, they will have the official FAQ with corrections to balance out the game a bit.

http://www.flyingfrog.net/FAQ_Docs/SOBS_FAQ_6-22-2017_Web.pd...

This Document has four sections - Game Concepts, Errata, Revised Rules, and FAQ & Clarifications

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Meyberg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thankjs a lot for the find!
Actually, the OP was before the mentioned FaQ which solved tons of problems ;-)

Best regards and happy gaming, Jan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls