Subject: Rules on watching others' moves rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank QB
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any rule against watching what others do on their turn before you decide what to do with yours? I mean, what sort of etiquette is there to keep people from essentially using the information from others' moves to benefit yourself on the same turn.

To be clear, I'm not talking about watching where people's adventurers are based on previous moves, I'm talking about: "Lead player draws tile and I watch what you do before I decide what I want to do." Seems vaguely cheating-like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Benson
United States
Syosset
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check the Variants sub forum for discussions about using player screens and other ideas dealing with copy cats. I just posted my idea there:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23101665#23101665

I haven't heard about any official rule though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frankqb wrote:
Is there any rule against watching what others do on their turn before you decide what to do with yours? I mean, what sort of etiquette is there to keep people from essentially using the information from others' moves to benefit yourself on the same turn.

To be clear, I'm not talking about watching where people's adventurers are based on previous moves, I'm talking about: "Lead player draws tile and I watch what you do before I decide what I want to do." Seems vaguely cheating-like.
I don't see why that would be "cheating". As long as you're not copying somebody else's paths, the best decision of what to do with your tile is greatly determined by your own paths.

On the other hand I think waiting to see if your opponents are giving up on some temple or so it's fine and greatly improves on the (low) player interaction, the strategy, tension and decision space of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
I always at least expect other players to be looking to see which other players' adventurers are out on their boards and how close are they to reaching a temple ahead of their own adventurers. This isn't a hidden game. And that is legitimate interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I agree that it is cheating if you wait to see what someone does with their tile before placing your own. I don't know about etiquette, but I wouldn't do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls