BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Question World Civilization for Students rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Stottlemyer
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I teach 6th grade Ancient History. I am looking for a board game that I can use to show students how civilizations start and spread. Civilization the board game is a bit to complicated for my students. I have Historia and am looking at that. Does anyone have any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiai Weidemann
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is going to be really tough finding a civilization game that is not to long and or complicated for 6th grade. I might suggest a game like Expedition: Famous Explorers. It is not a civilization game but it does show all these famous places from around the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Brief History of the World - you can get it in tablet form as well if you want to test it out before getting a physical copy.
Historia might work, but players can get hosed if they end up surrounded by players who focus on military while they desperately try to push to Navigation so they can spread to safer areas.
Colonial Diplomacy, though it does have Diplomacy's "I hate you with the heat of a thousand suns!" friendship-destroying potential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Stottlemyer
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Thank you for all of those responses.

I have looked into these games but have not found as much information:

CVlizations
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/181494/cvlizations

ERA
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/155582/era

Nations
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/157809/nations-dice-game

I am looking for something they could handle as well as get something out of. I also want to teach some of the ideas of working together and playing a board game rather than just using their Ipad. Although I am open to the idea of using an Ipad game as all my students have their own Ipad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm curious, are you looking for a game that relates accurately to history and civilizations, or do you want a realistic simulation of the actual civ building process, or do you just want a fun game for the kids to play with a civ/historical theme? It seems to me that the most popular civs are rather poor (and biased) simulations of actual real-world civ building and they mostly treat aspects of civilization, such as War, Politics, Religion, Food Production, Population Growth, Technology, etc as thematic labels for game mechanisms that don't relate to the way civilizations actually develop.

For an interesting simulation of civ building, with an emphasis on the costs of growth, I would suggest Antiquity. But that game is expensive, out of print, and I don't know if it could be grasped by a 6th grader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CVlizations and Nations the Dice Game are too abstract to be useful - far more than e.g. Historia. ERA is not out yet - they had so many Kickstarter stretch goal decks that artwork needs became neverending... Also, more of a straight card game than "see civilizations rise and fall" as far as I could tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls