Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

In relation to the questions I just posted in 'this thread', I would like to ask a wider audience for their feedback on a piece of the artwork from my upcoming game, Schism.

The game has 8 characters, each with a character card (makes sense!). Each character has a colour, 2 of which are grey and back - no problems on the table top and the colours suit the character vibe and feel. These two have caused some discussion due to them naturally being fairly similar.
Jesús Blones (the awesome artist working on this with me - side note: I can't recommend Jesùs enough!) suggested changing black to another colour, and at first I was swayed, but the more I stare at the cards, the more I start to like them both, and feel that both work without being too similar. Particularly the black emblem on the floor where the character illustration will sit. So far play testers have been sat about 70/30 on side of keeping both black and grey, and my gut says 'keep it' too, but I'd like to ask a wider audience...

What are your thoughts? Would these 2 cards cause you issues on the tabletop? Are they too similar? Let me know! Bare in mind that the illustration of the characters themselves will change the appearance a fair bit.

Black -

Grey -

Poll
Should both black and grey character cards be kept, or should one colour be changed?
Keep them both, they look cool!
Change black for a different colour
Change grey for a different colour
      21 answers
Poll created by ShepWRISTS

Here is Orange for good measure

Other colours already in use - Blue, green, pink, purple, yellow. Red and white can't be used as they are NPC game elements already. So, if you were going to change one of them, what would you change it to?

Many thanks in advance for your opinions on this. Big up to the BGG community!

Shep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Far too similar, i recommend changing the black to another color.

Also, I HIGHLY recommend using a secondary method of identifying card type/color. Both for color blind folks and for less than ideal lightning conditions.

A simple icon is best IMO, as it will be an easy thing to see and doesn't require translation. Bonus points if the icon ties in to what the card's type/color represents.

Need icons for that?

http://game-icons.net/
http://thenounproject.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shep
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Justin,

Good feedback. Much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sonora
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a shot with an illustration so we know how that will affect the overall appearance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shep
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Davin, A valid point. The character illustrations for the game are not all complete yet, and these two are still to be done. As such, right now, that's not an option. I will of course update this once those illustrations are complete.

Shep

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sonora
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you post one of the ones that is finished so we have an idea of what is still visible?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Mari Kalkerup
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can you put a image of each of the other colors, that'd make it easier to suggest one that will not get you into the same problem again. Otherwise, what about a metallic color, like silver or gold? Maybe make the gray a bit more silvery, then you can keep both the black and the (silvery) gray one.
And +1 for adding a subtle symbol.

I voted to change the black and keep the gray, because as it is, they're too similar, and I enjoy the gray a bit more than the black.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George P.E., PMP, DM
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming that the character art will be very different for color-blind differentiation. I think they're too similar. If the color is used thematically in the character art, then the gray and black characters may be too similar, too. Unless black is a ninja and gray is a boring bureaucrat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shep
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Here is an example of how much colour will be showing, plus some text examples etc. This is not a complete artwork (obviously), but hopefully the sample will demonstrate how much of the background will be on show for an 'average' illustration.

Imagine the grey character as a hooded, cloaked mysterious entity, and the black as a politician or figure of power - very different in appearance and stature.

Also, as requested, all the colours for the main characters:

As mentioned above, red and white can't be used for these characters. The obvious option seems to be to make two very different shades of green or blue should we go with a change with one of the colours. Brown just isn't inspiring

Thanks again folks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Mari Kalkerup
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think I've changed my mind, I think you could keep both the black and the gray. I think it'd work, especially since a big part of the top will be covered (where the most black is centered on the gray character sheet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shep
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback. The illustrations for these 2 characters are being done as we speak. I'll post both finished articles for comparison when they are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shep
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies for the late reply to this thread folks!

So, here are the two characters in question...

The Reaper - Grey player pawn, with a grey accent to the character card).

The Deceiver - Black player pawn, with a black accent to the character card).

These two are the 'darker' characters for the game, and details of feedback I'm after are detailed above. Once again, many thanks for your input.

Shep

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Yang
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see the top half of the cards are darker and the bottom half is lighter, there's a gradient effect there, which is nice. However, to help separate grey perhaps you can grey decreasing that gradient effect so that the top half of the grey card is lighter. I think that top half is what looks most like the black card. All the other cards look great. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Menegon
msg tools
Great illustrations...The Deceiver is poor ol' Jeb Bush! lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Windischer
Austria
Innsbruck
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Brown is missing. You only have to be careful that it differs enough from orange.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shep
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MartinWin wrote:
Brown is missing. You only have to be careful that it differs enough from orange.

Brown was left out, simply because I thought the pawn on the table looked... Rubbish. The black and grey stand apart fine. Brown looks... A bit... Naff. But, it is an option!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sonora
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could fade the scrollwork above the portrait slower and change the raised triangles below the portrait into jewels (they're already faceted, even). That would make the colors easier to distinguish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shep
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HaNd_SoLo wrote:
You could fade the scrollwork above the portrait slower and change the raised triangles below the portrait into jewels (they're already faceted, even). That would make the colors easier to distinguish.

Interestingly they were jewels before they became arcane icons. I had them changed as the jewels had no thematic place and started to make the artwork look like a fantasy dungeon crawler type thing. They would however, be bigger blocks of colour and may help here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shep
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deadeyedshooter8 wrote:
I see the top half of the cards are darker and the bottom half is lighter, there's a gradient effect there, which is nice. However, to help separate grey perhaps you can grey decreasing that gradient effect so that the top half of the grey card is lighter. I think that top half is what looks most like the black card. All the other cards look great. Good luck!

It didn't look quite right to end much lighter, but, this is the same card with a much lighter gradient, fading to a very light grey, almost white. This feels like a much stronger contender to separate them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.