Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Morgan
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this game again the other night and loved it. We actually had two people end with the same score of 115. I'm curious as to why there are no tiebreaker rules? Some suggestions we came up with were the person with the most shares on all four companies combined. Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bighab wrote:
Played this game again the other night and loved it. We actually had two people end with the same score of 115. I'm curious as to why there are no tiebreaker rules? Some suggestions we came up with were the person with the most shares on all four companies combined. Any thoughts?

The problem is singling out any specific strategy. Are shares better than books/diamonds? Is cash on hand better? Nothing seems appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bighab wrote:
I'm curious as to why there are no tiebreaker rules?
I'm curious why there should be any tiebreaker rules. If you earned an equal number of points you played equally good and have earned a shared place.
If you could earn only 5 points or so I would understand it as the scoring system is not very granular - but when you can earn over 100 points I don't need the number to any decimals...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Morgan
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluxx wrote:
Bighab wrote:
I'm curious as to why there are no tiebreaker rules?
I'm curious why there should be any tiebreaker rules. If you earned an equal number of points you played equally good and have earned a shared place.
If you could earn only 5 points or so I would understand it as the scoring system is not very granular - but when you can earn over 100 points I don't need the number to any decimals...

Probably just because my group is pretty competitive and we enjoy seeing a clear cut winner. In another popular game my group and I have been playing(Voyages of Marco Polo) they have a tie breaking rule at the end(most camels) Not a big deal though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Jørgensen
Denmark
Glostrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game was tied at 149 to each. whistle I picked up the rulebook assuming there was a tiebreaker.

I felt a little deflated when I realised that there was not going to be a winner. The game had been very tight and tense, so I thought that winner should be found. Then my girlfriend said, she thought that a tie was acceptable since it was our first game.

Afterwards, I have thought about the misssing tiebreaker and I think that it is fair not to have such a rule, since all types of scoring has been counted. Having a rule saying that one kind of scoring counts again seems unfair.

I do wonder how often a tied game actually happens, but I wouldn't be surprised if Alexander has considered a tiebreaker, but didn't find it neccesary/fair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sobral
Brazil
RS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel really frustrated when long games don't have a tie breaker rule, like Mombasa, Terra Mystica...

In Mombasa, we agreed that the winner will be the one with the most coins!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls