3 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Variants

Subject: Improved cooking, ideas stage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam D
msg tools
mbmb
I've been thinking about cooking and had an idea.

What about having the possiblity to invent new recipes?

It would be an endeavour ability. You would choose a cook and a taster (could be the same person)

The cook rolls a D10
1: monster lasagne the taster dies
2-3: food poisoning the taster must skip the next hunt
4-6: watery soup, no effect
7-10 invigorating dish, the taster gains survival up to the settlement limit
11+: culinary masterpiece, draw a new recipe card, the taster gains the ability of the recipe.

Modifier
Cook is insane -1
Cook has 3+ understanding +1
For every two ingredients used +1

Ingredients: organ, vermin, salt and fresh acanthus resource cards

Recipe cards could be smiliar to the current recipes, giving a permanent bonus to a stat, or they could give a temporary bonus, heal wounds, add/remove insanity courage and understanding, or make gear cards (better healing salves, strength potions etc.

Would people like to see/help make such a mod?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'd leave cooking about as-is and just go with some variation on all returning/all departing/1+n where n=additional resources spent, instead of the current spend a ton of resources for a single bonus.

On your idea, it suffers from the same problem as regular cooking except worse: you're spending 4(or more) resources and an endeavor to possibly get a buff or possibly die, instead of the current version of spend an endeavor to possibly spend 4 resources and get a buff (spend resources first is a big change).

Spending 6 resources to avoid death; have a 2/5 chance of something neutral or slightly negative; 2/5 of a temp buff, 1/5 of a random maybe temporary buff seems like a terrible investment.

Spending 10 to only have positive options, but 2/5 chance of temporary and 3/5 of maybe temporary is just insane.

A mini/cheap secondary tech tree sounds like it could be fun, but your investments are way too steep for that to sound ever worth doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam D
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the feedback.

At the moment this is just I the ideas stage, so heavy tweaking will be required.

I want to be able to strike a balance between being able to make new recipes and using this ability to cheaply get permanent characteristic boosts. The devil is in the detail.

Make getting new recipes too hard and no one will try. Make it too easy and no one will make existing recipes, they will just constantly invent new dishes (until the recipe deck is exhausted).

Any idea for a more balanced roll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls