Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I just finished making the territories outline for an europe map that takes place in 1871. The gray areas will not be used in the game and will be hidden. Here what it looks like:

I am making a fantasy game that start in a specific historical period. So it does not have to be perfectly precise, but still if you find anything odd regarding the shape of the territories, the selected cities to represent the territories, let me know.

The map is not complete, I still need to add flags and define sea areas. The colors of the countries are most of the time reusing a color of the flag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
"Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity....
badge
....and I'm not certain about the universe." Albert Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
What is your criteria for the choice of cities? What function will they have?

I ask as you have a city in every province - most are the most economically significant within that province but clearly not to each other. If you need a city in every province then fine but quite a few places would have been economically and even politically insignificant in 1871.

If economic power is your main criteria then I would question the choice of Edinburgh over Glasgow in Scotland and Bern over Zurich in Switzerland.

No obvious issues with your land borders bar surely Belgium and Holland were separate countries at that time? Also I would use the names used at that time, so Danzig for Gdansk for instance?

This might help, zoom-able version: http://etc.usf.edu/maps/pages/800/865/865z.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
notquitekarpov wrote:
No obvious issues with your land borders bar surely Belgium and Holland were separate countries at that time?

Yeah, Belgium gained independence around 1830. There is even a game about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_former_national_capita... might also help.

For example Oslo was called Christiania between 1624-1924. I'm sure there are others...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
upandawaygames.com
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice map. I would point out that the shape of Germany doesn't look quite right in the area of Silesia. Compare with https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d6/Deutsche...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What is your criteria for the choice of cities? What function will they have?

The goal is to basically identify an area for reference or thematic purpose. I try to either use the capital city, or important city. It's just that it's always hard to know at that time what was the most important city.

Quote:
No obvious issues with your land borders bar surely Belgium and Holland were separate countries at that time?
Yeah, Belgium gained independence around 1830. There is even a game about it.

Yes I know, I fusion them simply for territory size, I think it's the only territory that covers 2 distinct country.I might do a 2 part flag for that territory.

Quote:

Also I would use the names used at that time, so Danzig for Gdansk for instance?

For example Oslo was called Christiania between 1624-1924. I'm sure there are others...

I looked at the Oslo wiki page and they never mentioned that. Also Istambul/Constatinople has very complex name changes, it's very hard to know which name is used, I think different people used different names.

Quote:
Transylvania belonged to Romania only from 1920.

Yes of course, but that is the special case for my game, you play as generals of dracula, and he has regained transylvania, so that region of romania is now part of romania again.

Quote:
You also used false border lines inside Austria Hungary

The internal borders are mostly defined for game purpose (token size) than historical border definition. Sometimes they follow, sometimes do not.

Quote:
Tirana instrad of Tunis..

I think you mean Tunis instead of Tirana. Not sure Why I put Tirana there when I put Tunis on my old map.

Thanks for the maps, it always help. I downloaded several maps already, I had a few maps you suggested.

Quote:
Nice map. I would point out that the shape of Germany doesn't look quite right in the area of Silesia.

It's possible the shape are not exactly right but they could be adjusted. The way I made the map is that I used the Wikipedia map with country subdivisions. Then I fusion subdivisions together to make territories and the grouping is done according to the old map. But there is still a situation where the subdivision does not map out with the historical border line. So that could be the case. I'll check it out and see if it can be easily fixed. For example, I had to manually patch Alsace-Loraine between France and Germany.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
upandawaygames.com
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also want to review the France-Italy border area. Is the shape accurate for 1871 there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
Quote:

[q]
Also I would use the names used at that time, so Danzig for Gdansk for instance?

I looked at the Oslo wiki page and they never mentioned that. Also Istambul/Constatinople has very complex name changes, it's very hard to know which name is used, I think different people used different names.

Er, really? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Oslo%27s_name

Similarly, I would use Constantinople given this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_Istanbul as the English usage at the time, although you have more leeway on that clearly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You might also want to review the France-Italy border area. Is the shape accurate for 1871 there?

I think so considering there are mountains separating both countries.

Quote:
Er, really?

I did not stumble on that page. But I found the Istambul page and it was still not clear.

Fixing the germany/russia/austria border might be more complex, but I found a new outline on wikipedia (unfortunately too late) for the austro-hungary territory. Still it does not change anything gameplay wise as the connections remains the same.

I finished making the sea areas, just need to add flags and I'll post the new version of the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
larienna wrote:
OK, I just finished making the territories outline for an europe map that takes place in 1871. The gray areas will not be used in the game and will be hidden. Here what it looks like:

So Germany will not be used in the game?

Here's an actual map of Europe in 1871: http://www.timemaps.com/history/europe-1871ad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Yes it will, but the relayout of the frontier will make the same territories connected to the same territories. So I can playtest as it is.

So there is the new map, with sea areas (2 sea names are missing), and flags which I hope my research was OK. The dullest flag is Morocco which is made of a single color.

Now that I have a functional map, and I got new ideas for the combat system, I hope to start playtesting for real soon.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
upandawaygames.com
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sardinia and Corsica don't have labels in them so they don't appear to be their own territories, but are not obviously connected to other areas either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
larienna wrote:
Quote:

Yes it will

I think that you missed my point. You said that the gray areas will not be used - Germany is very gray in your map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrix
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
I'm no historian, but I would expect Amsterdam to have been a bigger and more influential city than Brussels at the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Germany is very gray in your map.

Oh! I see. No, by gray I mean the areas I hidden with the tracks like Armenia, Syria, etc.

Quote:
About sardinia and Corsica

Sardinia is playable because the city Cagliari is on it. If a territory has a city, it is playable, else it's decoration. Which means that corsica is not playable.

Quote:
I'm no historian, but I would expect Amsterdam to have been a bigger and more influential city than Brussels at the time.

Thank for the info, I think I chose Brussel because it was smaller to write. But I can find a way to switch it back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please spell the capital of Scotland correctly! It has an "h" at the end! Edinburgh not Edinburg!

For the sea area surrounding Denmark I would suggest it is hard to beat one of Skagerrak or Kattegat. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skagerrak.

For the sea area near to Turkey is tricky. I would suggest calling it Akdeniz (White Sea) which is what the Turks call the Med. See http://www.allaboutturkey.com/sea.htm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Gonzalez
Spain
Gameria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
you could use Seville instead of Malaga

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was hesitating between both cities, malaga seemed to be more important, but in 1871 it could have been different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls