15 Posts

Specter Ops» Forums » Variants

Subject: Fan Expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
A
flag msg tools
Hello everyone, I made a fan expansion for this game to try to breathe some fresh life into it. I consider it a community fan expansion, as it combines ideas from several fans. The fan expansion contains 5 Hunters, 5 Agents and their unique equipment cards, and a new generic equipment card. I have uploaded the file with the graphics to BGG. Here is the direct link to the upload: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/134046/fan-expansion-grap...

The file contains print-ready materials for the fan expansion (but you will have to sleeve all the equipment cards as a result) as well as recommendations for miniatures for the new characters. But here are the text-only for the new units and equipment. Several of them are tweaked version of ideas from other posters on this board, and I have cited where credit is due.

- - -

HUNTERS

- - -

THE INFERNO

FLAME WALL: Instead of attacking normally, the Inferno may create a flame wall that encompasses up to 3 spaces directly in front of him (obstacles stop the Flame Wall). Place the flame tokens in those spaces. The Inferno loses line of sight in all other directions. If the Agent is in the flame wall or moves through the flame wall, they immediately take 1 damage. If the Agent ends their turn in the Flame Wall, they take another damage. The Agent does not need to announce damage taken by the Flame Wall if the Hunters cannot see the damage being taken. Remove the flame tokens at the start of your next turn. Other hunters count as obstacles for the flame wall and hunters may not enter the flame wall.

GRENADE: The Inferno starts with two grenade tokens on this card. Discard a grenade token to use the grenade attack. The Inferno lobs a grenade over obstacles up to 4 spaces away. The grenade hits all spaces within a 3x3 grid pattern with the center space being the space where the grenade landed. The landing spot cannot be an obstacle, but the explosion does wrap around corners. The Agent takes 1 immediate damage if they are in any of those spaces. The agent does not need to announce if they took any damage if the Hunters cannot see it. The grenade may not be used if a Hunter is any of the those spaces.

HEAVY EQUIPMENT: When stunned, the Inferno is stunned for two consecutive
turns instead of one.

Inspired by: Chris O's, "The Dragon" from here: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/21890304#21890304

- - -

THE HORROR

UNSTOPPABLE FORCE: If the Horror is adjacent to the Agent or on the same space when attacking, it does not need to roll to attack. The Agent automatically takes 1 damage.

RELENTLESS: When stunned, the Horror may attack with a -3 penalty to its attack rolls instead of being totally unable to attack. When stunned, The Horror may not use the Unstoppable Force special attack, and may move three spaces instead of two.

FEROCIOUS: The Agent cannot enter the space the Horror occupies or a space adjacent to the
Horror. If the Agent starts their turn adjacent to or on the same space as the Horror they
must move away. If they cannot, they automatically take 1 damage.

Inspired by Chris O's, "The Monolith" from here: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/21890304#21890304

- - -

THE STALKER

The Stalker has a Creature which also counts as a Hunter in regards to abilities and equipment cards. The Creature starts the game on any space next to the vehicle. The Creature may not enter the vehicle. The Creature may not attack the Agent. All equipment cards that affect a Hunter may be used on the Creature and the Creature may be stunned. A stunned Creature cannot move and remains stunned for three turns.

CREATURE DASH: Instead of moving, the Stalker may move the Creature up to three spaces in any direction.

CREATURE TRACKER: Instead of moving, the Stalker may use the Creature to track the Agent. The Agent player will move the Creature three spaces toward their current location via the quickest and most direct route. If the Agent is within four spaces of the Creature, the Creature will only move two spaces. If multiple routes work, the Agent player may choose the route. The Creature will end its movement immediately if it enters the same space as the Agent. The Creature will not force the Agent to place their figure or last seen token (unless a Hunter can
also see the Agent), however, if the Creature ends its turn and has line of sight to the Agent, the Agent must announce this. The Agent does not need to indicate which direction they are line of sight to the Creature. If there are multiple Agents, the Creature will track the Agent chosen by the Stalker.

- - -

THE PHASER

PARTICLE SEPARATION: After moving, the Phaser may declare a direction. Doing so causes the Phaser to lose line of sight in all other directions except the one chosen; the Phaser can see (but not attack) through all obstacles.

PARTICLE DISSIPATION: You may move through obstacles when moving. If you do so, you may not attack this turn. You may not end your movement on an obstacle.

PARTICLE DESTRUCTION: Instead of moving, you may place a space token on any obstacle anywhere on the board (except an objective location). That space of the obstacle is no longer considered an obstacle for this turn, but Hunters and Agents cannot end their turns on that space.
They can, however, move and shoot through the space.

Inspire by Tristan Snaer's, "The Phaser" here: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/22986687#22986687

- - -

THE WATCHER

CAMERA DRONES: The Watcher deploys camera drones as he moves around the board. If an Agent is ever spotted by a drone the Agent must announce it. For example, "Camera drone 3 can see me," or "Camera drone 1 saw me move past it." The Agent does not place the last seen token or their figure on the board if a drone can see them but Hunters cannot. Equipment cards and Agent abilities that can be used to stun Hunters can also be used to stun camera drones. A stunned camera drone is destroyed and returned to the game box; that drone may not be placed on the board again. EMP grenades likewise destroy drones.

Instead of moving, you may place a camera drone on an adjacent space. Only 3 drones may be on the board at one time. The Watcher has two extra drones in reserved that may be deployed as his drones are destroyed by the Agent. Once all drones are destroyed no more may enter the game.

Instead of moving, you may move your camera drones up to 5 spaces. These 5 spaces are shared by all the drones and may be split as you desire.

- - -

AGENTS

- - -

PISCES
This Agent has two figures. Divide the total health equally between both Agents and track them separately. Each Agent may move three spaces. Whenever abilities ask for Agent’s location, give the information for both of them. Only one Agent must escape to win the game.

WHICH ONE AM I?: Whenever one of the Agents takes damage, you may swap places with both agents.

UNIQUE EQUIPMENT: Distraction. Charge 2. Do NOT Reveal this card. Mark the turns on your movement sheet when you use this equipment. During this turn, you only need to give information for one of the agents, place a last seen token within 2 spaces of one of your agents.

Inspired by: Tristan Snaer's, "The Twins" from here: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/22986687#22986687

- - -

EUCHARITID (a type of parasitic wasp that tricks ants into carrying its eggs into the colony and incubate them; when the wasp hatches it slaughters the ants on its way to the surface - one of nature's most insidious traps)

SET TRAP: Instead of moving, you may place a trap on your space. Mark it on your paper. If a Hunter walks across this space, they end their movement and are stunned. You ignore traps.

UNIQUE EQUIPMENT: Explosive Hotwire. Charge 1. Use this card when next to the vehicle and you are not in any Hunter's line of sight. Do NOT reveal this card, but rotate it to indicate that it has been used. The next time a Hunter tries to drive the vehicle or use the motion sensor, that Hunter is stunned instead (this includes the remote Puppet), as are all other Hunters in the vehicle. In order for the vehicle to work again, a Hunter must repair it by sacrificing their turn while next to, or inside, the vehicle. A stunned Hunter cannot repair the vehicle. The Puppet cannot repair the vehicle from a remote location.

Inspired by Tristan Snaer's, "Trapper" from here: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/22986687#22986687

- - -

CHEETAH

DASH: Instead of moving normally, Cheetah can move up to 6 spaces in a straight line. She cannot move diagonally, or change direction during this movement.

UNIQUE EQUIPMENT: Afterimage Booster. Charge 2. Do NOT reveal this card. You may place the last seen token where you first cross a Hunter's line of sight, instead of the last. Mark your sheet to indicate you have used this.

Inspired by Eric Sawler's, "Cheetah" from here: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/18886802#18886802

- - -

CHAMELEON

VARIABLE EQUIPMENT MODULE: Chameleon may use the unique equipment cards of all other Agents.

UNIQUE EQUIPMENT: Cloaking Field. Charge 1. You may use this equipment instead of moving by turning it to the side, do NOT reveal this card. When used, you cannot be seen even if in direct line of sight as long as there is one space of impassable terrain orthogonality adjacent to you. Also, no Hunter abilities may harm you in any way, even if that Hunter ends their movement in your space. Hunter abilities cannot be used to locate you either. You are cloaked in this way for up to 3 turns or until you move.

While both Tristan Snaer, Eric Sawler, and Chris O have a version of Chameleon, this one actually does stem from my original thoughts as well. It isn't that surprising though, this Agent practically writes itself. But the equipment is from Chris O.

- - -

HORNET

STING: When successfully attacked, roll a die if the Hunter that attacked you is in line of sight to you. On a 5+, that Hunter is stunned.

UNIQUE EQUIPMENT: Targeting Scope. Charge 2. If a Hunter ends their movement and has line of sight to you, you may reveal this card. Before that Hunter attacks you, stun that Hunter.

Inspired by Tristan Snaer's, "Gun" from here: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/22992703#22992703

- - -

GENERIC EQUIPMENT: Jamming Signal. Charge 2. Mark the two turns you use this equipment on your sheet. When the motion sensor is used, you may lie and say any direction you like. Or you may say that no movement was detected. This card has only one charge if the Puppet is not in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
msg tools
Pixeling ain't easy, but someone's gotta do it...
badge
LION OF JUDAH
mbmbmbmbmb
The Chameleon's Equipment is actually my idea. Almost word for word copy and paste, in fact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
A
flag msg tools
Messianic wrote:
The Chameleon's Equipment is actually my idea. Almost word for word copy and paste, in fact.

Oh snap! I got my sources confused! My apologies! I'll have to edit that. Thanks man!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Snaer
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I actually really like the names you gave these characters (Pisces is confusing me as to how it relates to two people but hey, creative), but man... that jamming signal...

A. It had better at least be a rotate 90* when first used

B. I feel it should just have 1 charge on it regardless

...cuz we're talking an agent not having to state when they used it and being allowed to call any direction they want if the Hunters decide to use the motion sensor.

I understand that the Hunters might not use the motion sensor, thus wasting your charge, but more times than not it's very easy to tell when you've left them with no trace to follow.

This was really the only speculation I had here but I love the rest of the post. Thanks for the credit, and nice job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Phaser may be a little op
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
A
flag msg tools
Determined_Caesar wrote:
I actually really like the names you gave these characters (Pisces is confusing me as to how it relates to two people but hey, creative), but man... that jamming signal...

...cuz we're talking an agent not having to state when they used it and being allowed to call any direction they want if the Hunters decide to use the motion sensor.

I understand that the Hunters might not use the motion sensor, thus wasting your charge, but more times than not it's very easy to tell when you've left them with no trace to follow.

This was really the only speculation I had here but I love the rest of the post. Thanks for the credit, and nice job!

If you rotate the card when you use it, the Hunters will know that you are using it. Since the game doesn't come with a screen for the Agent to hide the cards behind that would essentially negate the use of the card. So instead I had it written down on the movement sheet.

I chose Pisces because it is the astrological symbol with two fish in it and there are two Agents. It's a bit of a theme breaker as it doesn't directly relate to an animal, but I figured it was close enough.

ksiazekrzysztof wrote:

Since the characters can move diagonally, the whole walking through walls thing is not as powerful as you may think. Moving forward through a wall takes two movement points, but moving around it diagonally takes the same amount of movement points. So It's application is varied.

I have also edited the original post with a direct link to the files which are now live.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Snaer
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Astrobot7000 wrote:
Determined_Caesar wrote:

If you rotate the card when you use it, the Hunters will know that you are using it. Since the game doesn't come with a screen for the Agent to hide the cards behind that would essentially negate the use of the card. So instead I had it written down on the movement sheet.

I chose Pisces because it is the astrological symbol with two fish in it and there are two Agents. It's a bit of a theme breaker as it doesn't directly relate to an animal, but I figured it was close enough.

ksiazekrzysztof wrote:

Since the characters can move diagonally, the whole walking through walls thing is not as powerful as you may think. Moving forward through a wall takes two movement points, but moving around it diagonally takes the same amount of movement points. So It's application is varied.

I have also edited the original post with a direct link to the files which are now live.

But if we're talking rotating the card, not revealing the card itself, then it'd at least be more balanced, because there are other items which use the "rotate 90*" key phrases. I was thinking you use this at the start of your turn, mark the turn as you use it, and rotate it. Then at that point it's not just a complete exploit.

Here's a scenario:
Bob the agent has been out of line of sight of the hunters for a few turns now and he can clearly see they're struggling to tell where he is. So at the start of his turn, he decides he's gonna use the Jamming Signal. Since he only has to write the turn he uses this on the paper, his hunter opponents have no idea anything just happened, so when they go to use the motion sensor, Bob says he's northwest, when he's actually southwest. Because nothing happened in the Hunter's POV, they have no reason to think he's not there, thus making the Hunters run back up the board, leaving the agent all by himself at the bottom, for I'd say a good 2-3 turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
A
flag msg tools
True, but you have to rotate the card directly when they activate the motion sensor. The other rotate cards are Adrenal Surge and Stealth Field, neither of which are rotated when the motion sensor is used. So when the Hunters activate the motion sensor, and you rotate the card when you use the equipment as a direct response to the motion sensor, they know the Jamming Signal is being used. I haven't found the Jamming Signal to be overly powerful in the games I have tested with it.

While I do not agree with the rotation aspect of the card, I have made an alternate version of the card with one charge and the rotation aspect for you. I have uploaded it with the rest of the documents. It's as easy as changing the text on the card (the upload may take up to 48 hours to be approved though) Hopefully it will fit in your games better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Snaer
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Astrobot7000 wrote:
True, but you have to rotate the card directly when they activate the motion sensor. The other rotate cards are Adrenal Surge and Stealth Field, neither of which are rotated when the motion sensor is used. So when the Hunters activate the motion sensor, and you rotate the card when you use the equipment as a direct response to the motion sensor, they know the Jamming Signal is being used. I haven't found the Jamming Signal to be overly powerful in the games I have tested with it.

While I do not agree with the rotation aspect of the card, I have made an alternate version of the card with one charge and the rotation aspect for you. I have uploaded it with the rest of the documents. It's as easy as changing the text on the card (the upload may take up to 48 hours to be approved though) Hopefully it will fit in your games better.

Here's where I feel we've been misunderstanding each other. XD When I said rotate a card 90*, I meant you rotate it at the beginning of your turn like the other equipment, no, rotating it when the motion sensor is used would make it worthless. I just felt that that item should have the trade off of maybe the hunters don't use the motion sensor this turn giving it that gamble feel like a lot of the other equipment, where it can end in failure but only if the hunters either get lucky in avoiding it, or successfully read the agent's moves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
A
flag msg tools
Oh man, is that the rule? Lol! I've been playing it wrong this whole time. We've always been rotating the cards right when they're used, and not at the beginning of your turn if you used it during a Hunter's turn. Well thanks for letting me know. The other version of the card is now uploaded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Snaer
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Astrobot7000 wrote:
Oh man, is that the rule? Lol! I've been playing it wrong this whole time. We've always been rotating the cards right when they're used, and not at the beginning of your turn if you used it during a Hunter's turn. Well thanks for letting me know. The other version of the card is now uploaded.

Hahaha, glad to help you out dude. XD Good to know this dispute was solved, no the rules state you can use equipment either before you moved, or at the end of your move before the Hunter's turn. Hence why I've been saying the Jamming Signal should have a rotate 90* key phrase when used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
A
flag msg tools
So, has anyone tried these out yet? I would love to hear back from the fan community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Snaer
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Yes I did play through all the characters over the course of the month and me and my friends felt they were very fun! (and balanced) to play. We did have an issue with The Stalker though since creature dash is useless since you could use creature track to get an immediate 3 moves toward the agent for sure. So here's what we did to tweak it for balance, which you of course don't need to do but would be recommended:

CREATURE CHARGE -
Instead of moving, The Stalker may move The Creature an infinite number of spaces in a straight line until it hits a wall or other obstacle. The Creature may not move diagonally and may not change direction while performing this action. If The Creature moves through the agent's space this way, they must announce this and take 1 damage.

CREATURE TRACK -
Instead of moving, the Stalker may use the Creature to track the Agent. The Agent player will move the Creature three spaces toward their current location via the quickest and most direct route. If the Agent is within four spaces of the Creature, the Creature will only move two spaces. If multiple routes work, the Agent player may choose the route. The Creature will end its movement immediately if it enters the same space as the Agent. The Creature will not force the Agent to place their figure or last seen token (unless a Hunter can
also see the Agent), however, if the Creature ends its turn and has line of sight to the Agent, the Agent must announce this. The Agent does not need to indicate which direction they are line of sight to the Creature. If there are multiple Agents, the Creature will track the Agent chosen by the Stalker.

I did copy and paste from the original post for Creature Track just to let you know since Creature Dash was the only ability needed to be tweaked. But we did play this version of The Stalker once and this one was loads more fun! (The Creature was even able to cause Hornet 1 damage) Other than that, me and my friends really enjoyed playing these new sets of characters. We also played a bit of mine from my previous post (Engineer, Manager, etc.) But thanks for making/perfecting these ones. These were loads of fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
A
flag msg tools
That's a cool idea! Truthfully I thought of that too but I thought it would make the Stalker too powerful, but if you tried it and felt balanced I think I will go ahead and make the change and upload it. Thanks so much for trying them and for your contributions of ideas and themes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Snaer
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Astrobot7000 wrote:
That's a cool idea! Truthfully I thought of that too but I thought it would make the Stalker too powerful, but if you tried it and felt balanced I think I will go ahead and make the change and upload it. Thanks so much for trying them and for your contributions of ideas and themes.

No problem man Glad to get to play some new versions of this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls