Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering the sources of replay value for this game.

-technology
-random layout of tiles
-random layout of cards on the tiles (I think?)

Is there any others?

Can people give me an idea of how many technology cards are in the game and around how many will get used in a particular game? Also, what kind of special abilities are on the technology cards/how big of an impact do they have?

I'm thinking on backing but I have Istanbul + Expansion. I don't think I would have liked Istanbul without the expansion (I've only played with the expansion) due to most of the variety simply coming from the layout of the tiles. With more scoring paths, the guild cards, additional special ability tiles, and additional bonus cards, I feel it has enough variety to keep in my collection. Especially considering another expansion should be out before the end of the year.

So, I'm interested in how much replay value it provides and how it provides replay value. Maybe Istanbul and Yokohama can coexist, but one would likely replace the other. Istanbul has much better graphic design, but most VP (and many ways to get those VP) seems more interesting than a race to less than 10 gems.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. You're wandering about "replay value" as in "is there a dominant strategy and/or scripted steps"? Or as in "is there enough variety to make me come back to the game to explore more"? If it's the former, not a chance. If it's the latter, what you wrote plus the order cards plus the interactions of all the above will keep games distinct and interesting.

2. Istanbul and Yokohama have one similar mechanic and that's about it as far as similarities go. I mean, it's like saying that every game that includes drafting is the same. These are 2 totally different games. Yokohama is definitely meatier, although for some groups that isn't necessarily an advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls