Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Scythe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Is it possible for workers to be unable to retreat? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Cullen
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
Avatar
Say your workers are surrounded by enemy factions before a mech steps onto their hex, or if the workers are already next to their base tile when invaded, since no one is allowed to move onto your starting tile. What happens?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
timbob1907 Tim
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's possible that I've been misunderstanding the rules, but when you retreat (unless otherwise stated) you go straight to your home base. So since no enemies can be on your home base, you are always able to retreat.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dorrax wrote:
Say your workers are surrounded by enemy factions before a mech steps onto their hex, or if the workers are already next to their base tile when invaded, since no one is allowed to move onto your starting tile. What happens?

You are not allowed to take an action to move to your home base, but you are always allowed to "retreat" to it.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Cullen
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
Avatar
Ahhh I see I completely misunderstood what the text was saying. I thought it ment that the losers of combat retreated TOWARDS their homebase, but in actual fact they are picked up and placed back on to their home base tile.

Got it! Thank you!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Related question, since workers can't move on to tiles with enemy units on it is it possible to trap workers on their home base tile?

Like if you surround your opponents home base tile with mechs then proceeded to force all of their workers back to their base would that work? Obviously it wouldn't be a great strategy (you'd lose a lot of popularity) and your opponent could send their fighting units after you. But is it possible?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimmydm90 wrote:
Related question, since workers can't move on to tiles with enemy units on it is it possible to trap workers on their home base tile?

Like if you surround your opponents home base tile with mechs then proceeded to force all of their workers back to their base would that work? Obviously it wouldn't be a great strategy (you'd lose a lot of popularity) and your opponent could send their fighting units after you. But is it possible?

It's possible to do that, but I'd be wondering at the strategy of it
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Tee
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pelvidar wrote:
It's possible to do that, but I'd be wondering at the strategy of it

"Being a Dick" is an unpopular, but viable strategy
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sylpherware wrote:
Pelvidar wrote:
It's possible to do that, but I'd be wondering at the strategy of it

"Being a Dick" is an unpopular, but viable strategy

You'd be spending quite a few turns on a "worker-hunt", that the opponent could see coming. It'd be a weird sort of whack-a-mole use of actions If it's a strategy, it's likely not one that would help you win. Strategic worker displacement (especially those in a group gathering a player a lot of resources) could make sense though. That said, I'm rarely the master strategist at my tables, so take my thoughts with a grain or salt!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pelvidar wrote:
sylpherware wrote:
Pelvidar wrote:
It's possible to do that, but I'd be wondering at the strategy of it

"Being a Dick" is an unpopular, but viable strategy

You'd be spending quite a few turns on a "worker-hunt", that the opponent could see coming. It'd be a weird sort of whack-a-mole use of actions If it's a strategy, it's likely not one that would help you win. Strategic worker displacement (especially those in a group gathering a player a lot of resources) could make sense though. That said, I'm rarely the master strategist at my tables, so take my thoughts with a grain or salt!

Worker displacement: Maybe you've invented the successor to the worker placement mechanic .
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
Pelvidar wrote:
sylpherware wrote:
Pelvidar wrote:
It's possible to do that, but I'd be wondering at the strategy of it

"Being a Dick" is an unpopular, but viable strategy

You'd be spending quite a few turns on a "worker-hunt", that the opponent could see coming. It'd be a weird sort of whack-a-mole use of actions If it's a strategy, it's likely not one that would help you win. Strategic worker displacement (especially those in a group gathering a player a lot of resources) could make sense though. That said, I'm rarely the master strategist at my tables, so take my thoughts with a grain or salt!

Worker displacement: Maybe you've invented the successor to the worker placement mechanic .

Five tribes is often lauded as a worker displacement game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimmydm90 wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:
Pelvidar wrote:
sylpherware wrote:
Pelvidar wrote:
It's possible to do that, but I'd be wondering at the strategy of it

"Being a Dick" is an unpopular, but viable strategy

You'd be spending quite a few turns on a "worker-hunt", that the opponent could see coming. It'd be a weird sort of whack-a-mole use of actions If it's a strategy, it's likely not one that would help you win. Strategic worker displacement (especially those in a group gathering a player a lot of resources) could make sense though. That said, I'm rarely the master strategist at my tables, so take my thoughts with a grain or salt!

Worker displacement: Maybe you've invented the successor to the worker placement mechanic .

Five tribes is often lauded as a worker displacement game.

Haven't tried that one.

Euphoria actually also has some worker displacement.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls