Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Eldritch Horror. Are we the worst players at this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ollie Fraser
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was just wondering if this game is as hard as we make it. We have played it about 10 times and only won 4. We played against Hastur last night and man did we suck. 3 of us went insane before he awoke and then it went rapidly down hill from there. We usually just pick random characters and have all the expansions. I love this game but would like to win it a few more times. Anyone else have so much trouble trying to save the world?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thomas
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On another thread, they have stats for wins and losses. Depending on how many investigators you are using and the AO, 40-60 percent wins is normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Smith
Germany
flag msg tools
We just played our first game and missed the point during setup where you reveal the first mystery card... sooo... we were about two thirds through the doom counter when we seriously started wondering how a mystery card would come into play and we would get a chance to win We very nearly made it anyway though ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheClamMan wrote:
We have played it about 10 times and only won 4.

Well, from my point of view, that's a pretty darn good win/loss ratio. I played it 12 times before I got my first win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Hebert
Canada
Granby
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We got one win in about 8 games...so....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ollie Fraser
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cheers I'm feeling better about our efforts saving the world now
We normally have 2-5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol, we played 23 games (al 2 player games with only 1 character each) and have a total of .... wait for it .... 2 wins.
So no your not the worst

Edit:setup fully random, only thing we pick is our GOO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
b5dorsai wrote:
On another thread, they have stats for wins and losses. Depending on how many investigators you are using and the AO, 40-60 percent wins is normal.

And that site's win ratio is skewed high because you can probably assume that typically only more dedicated players actually take the time to find it and log their stats there. So the actual average win rate is probably more like 30-40% or less.

P.S. I think between my groups our collective win rate is about 20-25%. We might do better if we played more often but I only get to play the game once every couple of months or so. Also we usually play with two or three investigators, which I think drops the win rate by about 10-15%, and we pick investigators and the Ancient One more or less randomly (we usually pick our investigators randomly but if someone wants to draw again or wants a specific one that's fine, then we draw the ancient one at random after that.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Perreau
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same sentiments as everyone else. That's pretty normal! But I noticed what helps is if a player plays Kane the politician. As a support role, shopping for everyone is a big plus in this game.frees up the rest to save the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you suck at this game! My win percent is 100% I played once and won!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Slattery
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just remember, the sweet is never as sweet without the sour, and I know the sour. 2 wins in 9 games here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a lot of luck involved. Some games I get instantly cursed with an epic monster summoned on the first round and no chance of killing it. I have to start over quite often when I see a losing game. I do only play with 2 investigators though and find it quite a challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sindriss wrote:
There's a lot of luck involved. Some games I get instantly cursed with an epic monster summoned on the first round and no chance of killing it. I have to start over quite often when I see a losing game. I do only play with 2 investigators though and find it quite a challenge.

Tell me about it. I remember one time we played we were on the last mystery and just needed to pass a skill test to beat it. Just one test and we'd win the game, we had three turns left on the clock, and we had two or three dice per person per check. We failed five checks over all three turns and lost the game. shake SO CLOSE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Rubin
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So far I have played the game 22 times and I only have 2 wins. Game number 5 against Yog-Sothoth and game number 17 against Abhoth. I don't mind though, it's still my favourite game of all time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
b5dorsai wrote:

Here you go:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZdxFQZu-5jT9zyTRuE0J...

The accumulated stats of more than 6k plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alaska Saedelaere
msg tools
mbmb
You're definitely not the worst. We have played 11 times so far, yet we only won game 1, strangely enough.

( And before anyone asks, no, that's not because we messed up the rules. I'd say it was a very lucky win with doom at 1. )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonny Schou
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TheClamMan wrote:
We usually just pick random characters and have all the expansions. I love this game but would like to win it a few more times. Anyone else have so much trouble trying to save the world?
If you want to win more often, not picking completely random characters should be your first step.

My group (also 2-5 players) had a similar win-rate to yours, but we boosted that to about 6/10 by going from completely random to semi-random character selection. The way we pick our characters now, we hand each player 2 (or 3) characters at the start, then pick one each after discussing the team composition for a bit. This usually gives us a balanced team with a good chance against whatever AO is on the board.

The way I see it, there are basically 3 specialties that you must cover to have a balanced group: Research, Monster Slaying and Gate Closing. Those are the activities that you must succeed at to not lose the game:gathering clues to stop rumours, keeping the board clear so you can get the encounters you want and preventing gates from waking up the AO. Both research and combat are also very common mystery activities. Activities like spell casting, expeditions and using support abilities are nice and helpful but not required to the same degree as the others, so be careful not to pick too many characters with those things as their primary focus.

Also, favour generalists if you're only playing with 2-3 investigators. Highly focused characters like Mandy Thompson or Akachi Onyele are dicey without a full team to cover their blind spots, while characters like Lola Hayes and Ursula Downs will have a decent chance at whatever they set their mind to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United Kingdom
Sunderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think these win percentages are pointless without knowing how the mythos deck is stacked. Are you playing with easy cards removed, or hard cards removed, or gradual where each stage 1 gets easy cards and stage 3 gets tentacle cards? For me this is the single most important stat when it comes to difficulty. I've got around a 40-45% win ratio and that's with a gradual deck and playing predominantly 2 player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonny Schou
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We don't use any variant mythos setups, just shuffle each type and build the deck as per the basic rules.

I don't feel the numbers of hard vs. easy mythos makes a huge difference on its own, but the timing and circumstances of when you get what cards is very significant. Our last loss came from getting two clue-hungry do-this-or-die rumours in the first two turns, together with a mystery that also needed massive amounts of clues (2 per w/ 4 players). The rest of the mythos deck was rather tame that game, but we still lost due to running out of mythos cards on our second mystery, because getting 14 clues to solve both rumours and the first mystery in the first half of the game wasn't happening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Atrahasis wrote:
We don't use any variant mythos setups, just shuffle each type and build the deck as per the basic rules.

I don't feel the numbers of hard vs. easy mythos makes a huge difference on its own, but the timing and circumstances of when you get what cards is very significant. Our last loss came from getting two clue-hungry do-this-or-die rumours in the first two turns, together with a mystery that also needed massive amounts of clues (2 per w/ 4 players). The rest of the mythos deck was rather tame that game, but we still lost due to running out of mythos cards on our second mystery, because getting 14 clues to solve both rumours and the first mystery in the first half of the game wasn't happening.

Yikes! How did that happen? Getting back to back blue Mythos cards is some crazy, what AO does that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
Atrahasis wrote:

Yikes! How did that happen? Getting back to back blue Mythos cards is some crazy, what AO does that?

Ithaqua for one. His first phase is two blue cards and two yellow cards and no green cards. So you're going to get two rumors right off the bat when you fight him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonny Schou
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This was Hastur, but there are several AOs who front-load their rumours like that with 2 blue cards in the first 4. Hastur and Syzygy are the worst though, as their mysteries are harder than average as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I look forward to that but for now I'm still trying to defeat Yig...lol, sorta.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Atrahasis wrote:

This is my one gripe with the game. Which cards go into the Mythos deck determine how hard of a game it is. Back to back hard cards are usually a wipe, back to back easy cards make the game cake. Mythos decks without hard cards are so easy to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dennis
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
TheClamMan wrote:
We have played it about 10 times and only won 4.

Well, from my point of view, that's a pretty darn good win/loss ratio. I played it 12 times before I got my first win!

Seriously. I've played 12 times so far (all solo) and they're all losses. Still a fun game though once it is set up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |