BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: PDF game and impact of dice vs sales rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D24 Wrestling
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Hi guys. I am about to start a new fighting game, and I've come up on an issue. The game will be a PDF, and I was wondering if the primary dice used would make a difference in sales or appeal? The d6 and d20 are the two dice I'm referring to. I know that almost everyone has a d6, but the game works better with a d20. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I have a d20 in a board game, though Formula D is one game I've seen with one. Consider 2d6, including 2d6 with different colors.

Think about cards, especially if you can convert a standard deck, for example by removing the face cards, so it's 4 x A-10. You could add back in a card to indicate reshuffle-now: "The King/Queen/Jack/Joker says shuffle!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's easy enough to find a D20 online ... at the very least someone could use this website: http://dice.virtuworld.net/ to simulate a D20 roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bah! d20. At least that'll help FLGS sales!

See if you can add an appendix that used d6's. Frex, 4d6 - 3 isn't a linear curve, but your system might be flexible enough that this doesn't make a difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BGG has play by forums and dice rolling Come on D20! 1d20 = (14) = 14

So you can always test it, promote here with that feature
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 922723. j_holmes
  • 1d20 =
  • (14) =
  • Come on D20!
  • Sun Jul 3, 2016 1:35 am
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
j_holmes wrote:
BGG has play by forums and dice rolling j_holmes previously rolled 1d20 = (14) = 14 (Come on D20!)

So you can always test it, promote here with that feature
No. Play by forum is fine, but promotion needs to be paid for. That's what pays for the site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
Including a d20 will certainly reduce your market. Unless you are cruising around purveyors of d20 system games, I don't see people having them rolling around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark w

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the game is better with a D20 then use it IMO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D24 Wrestling
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks to everyone for their advice. Looks like support is split here, as it has been with others I've consulted with. I have a working system in mind with the d20: push your luck, choice selection, and damage accumulation with a customized tracker sheet. I think this would qualify as pen and paper? If I went to d6(s), it would require a lot more work and play testing. My gut says d6 just because of how common it is. The d20 system is tested, the d6 system would almost be start from scratch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Gunther Herzog
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for less granularity (1d20 vs 1d6) and/or linear vs bell curve (1d20 vs 2d6 or 3d6) then perhaps an alternative would be two different color d6's with one being the "ten's" (technically 6's, for base-6). Kind of like rolling 2d10 to get d100.

Depending on what kinds of results you're looking for, you could read it as a chart... say a red die is the horizontal row, a white die is the vertical one.

1 2 3 4 5 6

1 . . . . . .

2 . . . . . .

3 . . . . . .

4 . . . . . .

5 . . . . . .

6 . . . . . .

Then just fill in the dots with different results you want. Hit, Miss, Critical Hit, Critical Miss, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm surprised so many people don't have D20's sitting around. I probably have about 20 of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D24 Wrestling
United States
flag msg tools
designer
PlowStr8 wrote:
If you're looking for less granularity (1d20 vs 1d6) and/or linear vs bell curve (1d20 vs 2d6 or 3d6) then perhaps an alternative would be two different color d6's with one being the "ten's" (technically 6's, for base-6). Kind of like rolling 2d10 to get d100.

Depending on what kinds of results you're looking for, you could read it as a chart... say a red die is the horizontal row, a white die is the vertical one.

1 2 3 4 5 6

1 . . . . . .

2 . . . . . .

3 . . . . . .

4 . . . . . .

5 . . . . . .

6 . . . . . .

Then just fill in the dots with different results you want. Hit, Miss, Critical Hit, Critical Miss, etc.

Thanks! This is an interesting concept. Never thought about it this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D24 Wrestling
United States
flag msg tools
designer
How much will it reduce the market in your opinion? From 1 to 100 % let's say

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cannon
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the type of person willing to buy a PDF game and the type of person to own a D20 have quite a large overlap. I can't see it hurting your sales more than 10%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Brooks
United Kingdom
Rugby
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dogs in the Vineyard is a Role Playing game which requires about twenty each of d4, d6, d8 and d10. It recommends the players pool their dice. I bought the dice myself; it was considerably more expensive than the game itself. It's sold over 2000 online copies.

http://lumpley.com/index.php/anyway/thread/707

I guess if you think the game's worth playing you buy the appropriate equipment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karl paulsen

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
AlexCannon wrote:
I think the type of person willing to buy a PDF game and the type of person to own a D20 have quite a large overlap. I can't see it hurting your sales more than 10%.

Agreed.

Additionally, if you're targeting the type of person who plays RPG's or Wargames. It may even be a boost to your sales as we tend to like fun dice. On Wargames vault Mech Attack is one of the Best Selling games (by actual number not by their sold/Days available metric) and it uses D10's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls