Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I just got my copy of Android, and I'm reading through the rules. So far, it sounds pretty interesting. But as I was reading, I got to thinking- does the concept of the Beanstalk make ANY sense? I mean, the moon revolves around the earth. Wouldn't it be relatively impossible to create a structure with one fixed point on earth and one fixed point on the moon? This would have to change the rate of orbit of the moon, which I would imagine would have some sort of disastrous effects on the moon staying in the sky. And even if by some miracle this WAS possible, then the moon would be stuck in one place (relative to the earth), and that would completely mess up the tides.

This has no effect on the gameplay at all, but I was wondering if there is a logical explanation for the Beanstalk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
The far end of the Beanstalk isn't attached to the Moon. It just makes travelling to the Moon easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
See also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_elevator
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

I actually did that

The rules do say that Starport Kaguya is on the moon (although I could see that being the receiving point for passengers leaving the Beanstalk).

But still, for some period of the day (I believe an extended period), traveling up the Beanstalk would actually increase the amount of space travel required to get from earth to the moon.

I guess if the Beanstalk comes equipped with Dropships at the terminal point, that's a good advantage of using it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I had the same questions and came to the same conclusion with this years ago. The Beanstalk is just getting you beyond Earth's atmosphere and then you take another mode of transportation to get to the moon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    Travel in space has little to do with distance, it's almost all about acceleration. Having an inexpensive way to get into Earth orbit (and inheriting the tangential velocity that comes with being on the far end of the arm) would make travel to the Moon cheaper and almost assuredly faster than a "direct" trip.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

Travel in space has little to do with distance, it's almost all about acceleration. Having an inexpensive way to get into Earth orbit (and inheriting the tangential velocity that comes with being on the far end of the arm) would make travel to the Moom cheaper and almost assuredly faster than a "direct" trip.

S.

I accept this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmb
The Challenger Planetoid is a hunk of rock that's been moved into geosynchronous orbit and is attached at the other end of the Beanstalk to act as a stabilizing counter force. The Challenger Memorial Ferry runs from the Planetoid to Starbase Kayuga on the moon's surface.

.... if you wanted to know. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lhowser wrote:
The Challenger Planetoid is a hunk of rock that's been moved into geosynchronous orbit and is attached at the other end of the Beanstalk to act as a stabilizing counter force. The Challenger Memorial Ferry runs from the Planetoid to Starbase Kayuga on the moon's surface.

Got there before me

The Challenger Planetoid was forced into near-Earth orbit as part of the Beanstalk's construction. They actually use the momentum of the rotation to slingshot the Challenger Memorial Ferry from Challenger to Starport Kaguya on the lunar surface, which saves a small fortune in fuel .

(Huge Android nerd )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmb
CommissarFeesh wrote:

(Huge Android nerd )

I FINALLY was able to find someone on Amazon that had the Worlds of Android book in stock - since, stupid me, I didn't pre-order it! Paid through the nose for it, but it's a BEAUTIFUL BOOK!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the reasons I picked up this game is because of how absolutely CRAZY the amount of depth is that is packed into this game (and Netrunner, and all of the other Android things). I'm glad that the Beanstalk is as thought out as as everything else in this fantastic world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
Loving you is like loving the dead
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoliers for Seveneves by Neal Stephenson:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
You can look into how the Cradle worked in Seveneves. It's a very similar concept: http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/cf9u0w4r5ru...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
you can't stay angry forever...
badge
...or so i'm told.
mb
Lhowser wrote:

Glad someone dropped by with an answer. I remembered reading an explanation in the Free Fall novel, but couldn't remember it off the top of my head...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls