Popular Tags: [View All]
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, folks,

I've been playing some solitaire games to get a feel for the rules. That doesn't tell a player some things about strategy, however. For instance, what do most players consider to be "sufficient" force in France to hold the beaches against Allied landings? I'm talking about '40 through '42 here. I haven't pushed a game past late '41, yet. (I think I'm not playing the Brits aggressively enough, as the Germans seem to have a whole bunch of available resources.)

And what about Norway? When should the Brits take a stab at Norway in '40 or '41? When is it worth their time and effort?

Also, what's "sufficient force" to discourage a German attempt at Sealion, and how ought I to distribute the British fleet between the Atlantic and the Med?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United Kingdom
STOCKPORT
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Have you been on the consimworld folder for this game? There have been many many posts regarding strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Or you could get some answers here!

I wouldn't worry too much about a British invasion in '41, 1 block per beach should suffice. If he does invade, great, just smack him down the next turn with your overwhelming force. For '42 you might want two per beach as the Yanks could show up. Look out for a potential build up by the US and UK with a Sep/Oct '42 invasion. This would require a large build up of fleets in the Atlantic so is easily spotted.

To defend against Sealion depends upon the fleet situation in the Atlantic. I usually keep four fleets as the Brits to be able strat move around Cape Horn to N Africa. I also try to be even with the Italians in the Med to allow me to intercept any Italian op moves on reasonable terms.

In 1940 assuming the Italians haven't taken Alexandria the most fleets the Germans can have is three and to be able to ship three units with them the two they start with must start the turn in the Atlantic (as moving between sea zones prevents a fleet being used for transport.) The germans therefore can land three four step blocks and two paras (plus GSUs) max. With four fleets in the Atlantic you should be able to sink one Axis fleet thus allowing only two full strength blocks to land.

I generally try to keep a tank and 2 GSU to reinforce the invasion site plus at least one full strength infantry block on each beach and some speed bumps elsewhere. The key thing is to weather the initial attack so the Germans cannot break out of the beachead. You can then pummel them on your turn before they can re-inforce.

The key thing about Sealion is preventing the UK emptying the Atlantic and Britain to pound N Africa. As the Germans in 1940 you should always threaten Sealion by having what appears to be your paras in Belgium with some GSU and what could be four step infantry in Atlantic ports (not hard to do). This then keeps the UK honest.

The Brits cannot stop the Germans in 1940 or 41. Germany can storm around Europe as they see fit in this time but what they should be doing is building troops for Barbarossa. What the Brits are trying to do is prevent a loss to Sealion (usually not too hard), and then try to bleed as many WERPS as possible from the Germans (usually spent in propping up the Italians).

Try soloing the 1941 secnario to get a better handle on what is required by the Germans for Russia.

If the Germans haven't taken Norway then by all means have a go with the Brits. The main advantage of Norway is in sending full lend lease to the Russians. If the Germans have it lightly defended it may also be worth a try. Any more than two blocks in Trondheim and I would probably ignore it. If you get bogged down in Norway in 1940-41 your supply situation will be terrible in the Med. If the Italians have kicked you out of the med though it may be worth doing instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies! (Unfortunately, Consimworld is blocked here at work. Sigh. Waste time on BGG, instead.

Some of this I'd worked out for myself. It's good to know that only one block is really necessary in '40.

Do most players try to take Norway the same turn they take France? That seems to limit Britain's ability to respond. However, you usually can't follow up to Trondheim in one turn, and that often leaves one British fleet point with the ability to respond and transport troops to Trondheim. (And really, Trondheim's what the Brits are after here, isn't it? That allows full price lend-lease to the Soviets. Taking Oslo's nice and all, but protection of the lend-lease convoys is what counts.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.