Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Anderson
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone played both versions? I haven't found any comparisons online. I might buy both, but tend to prefer not to buy multiple versions of games, especially when there's substantial overlap between them.

Is one more strategic or chaotic? Is one faster or slower paced? I have to imagine there's some reason Laboratory released two versions, but it's not clear what that thought process was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Riley
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
I Am One With The Force
badge
The Force Is With Me
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed this game on KS and got not only both versions but all of the expansion packs. I have played each version maybe a small handful of times.

They are pretty much identical. They both move at the same speed and offer the same experience. I have a hard time telling them apart.

I found very little strategy in playing as you are not so much fighting the dungeon as you are competing against the other player for loot and kills.

They reason to buy both is just to get the variety of monsters, doors, and equipment in the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Anderson
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
az933k wrote:
They are pretty much identical. They both move at the same speed and offer the same experience. I have a hard time telling them apart.
Thanks for the info, that's helpful. Might as well pick at random. I did manage to find a bit of commentary here from the designer, but it doesn't go much further than saying the power level of cards in the blue deck are a bit higher, implying perhaps a swingier game.
az933k wrote:
I found very little strategy in playing as you are not so much fighting the dungeon as you are competing against the other player for loot and kills.
Is it fair to say that while there isn't much strategy (in other words, plan multiple turns ahead, or have your own unique approach to the game), the game is interesting from a tactics point of view? Specifically the management of your turn. At least that's the way the game is pitched: optimize your choices each turn (though there is a lot of hidden information). I tend to like games that reward you for playing your turn well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
░░▒▓███ ███▓▒░░
United States
Marquette
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the Red Dragon a lot, before trying a DBS or the Blue Mammoth. Right when I played Blue Mammoth, I thought "Wow, this is like an advanced version of the game."

Red Dragon is like the introductory game. So far for me though, Red Dragon pairs well with the DBS's. What is cool about 100 Swords though is all the variety and card interactions. Combining the different DBS's with the two different dungeons. I wish they just sold it all as one game set instead of split up between 2 decks and 4 Dungeon Builder Sets. Once you play a lot, you can even end up grabbing bits and pieces from all of the sets to create your own unique dungeon, almost like an LCG. I now feel inclined to do this after playing the preset ones so much. I'm considering things like: Swapping/combining rental shop, and having 2 bosses at the end instead. My favourite DBS so far is the Chroma Dragon. One set's card calls for different boots, but with the premade sets, the max you could have is one more boot - but if you had more it would make more sense as a card. So what if I created my dungeon to contain all the boots from each DBS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls