Popular Tags: [View All]
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played through one round and then packed it up. Here's the thing... Mage Knight is one of my all-time favorite games, and I am a big Star Trek fan. And if you like Star Trek and want a great game with that theme, and don't already have Mage Knight, then you should definitely get this. The system does work quite well within a Star Trek context. But if you already have Mage Knight and intend to keep that, then you really don't need this.

I had read about there being some differences between this and Mage Knight, and there are several things, but it turns out they are all quite minor. In the grand scheme of things, it is the base game of Mage Knight. What made me pack it up is that I didn't feel like it was worth the effort to relearn what all of the different locations and details are, especially if I plan to keep Mage Knight (which I do).

With some of the details being just a little different, that turns out to make it more annoying... You think you know what the analogs are for the similar things in Mage Knight, but then, ah, there's some little element that's just a little bit different. I don't want to bother having to keep all of that straight, or to confuse myself between this and MK. I'd rather just keep my brain tuned in to what I already know as far as how to play Mage Knight (which is already enough information to keep stored in my brain).

Also, graphically, the game is decent (for WizKids, the components are quite solid), but the map tiles and the different planets and such are not really very easy to distinguish, which makes it more of a pain to remember which planet is which kind of thing.

So as it turns out, I'd have preferred ST:F to be either a straight-up reskin, or to be much more different from MK than it is. But as it is, there's really no need for me to have this. If you have and intend to keep Mage Knight, and simply must also have a Star Trek themed MK, and don't mind keeping the differences straight between the two, then by all means, pick this up. But otherwise, I'd recommend against it.

I will keep an eye on any expansions, and if there is something significantly different included, then I may pick this up again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erv Walter
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
ervwalter is my new bgg account
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally understand and I agree that you don't need both Mage Knight and ST:F.

And it's definitely slightly frustrating that things are just a little bit different. That means you have to check everything and not assume. It would help if there were a comprehensive page that described every difference. The best I have seen is the Box of Delights summary here: http://www.boxofdelights.net/star-trek-frontiers/ It would be nice to have a single page PDF or something that laid everything out.

All that said, I am taking the opposite approach as you. I am packing up Mage Knight and will be selling it at my local FLGS on consignment. Star Trek: Frontiers is the one I will be keeping simply because I like the theme more, I like how the mechanics fit with the theme more, and I like the little changes they made. Because of that, I'm willing to take the time to learn relearn how to play, so to speak.

WHich version a person keeps will depend on how much they like each theme, how much they care about the expansion content from Mage Knight, and how willing they are to invest the time to relearn the subtle differences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
If a designer gets to make several little changes, don't all those little changed lead to a better game? Are the changes purely thematic, or are they balance related?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ira212 wrote:
If a designer gets to make several little changes, don't all those little changed lead to a better game?

Only if the first designer did a bad job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
ira212 wrote:
If a designer gets to make several little changes, don't all those little changed lead to a better game?

I think it's almost the opposite. Good designers are always learning and striving to improve. I think it would actually be a bad designer who couldn't find any ways to improve a game years after initial release and lots of player feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ira212 wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
ira212 wrote:

I think it's almost the opposite. Good designers are always learning and striving to improve. I think it would actually be a bad designer who couldn't find any ways to improve a game years after initial release and lots of player feedback!

I disagree, but that's okay.

I think the thing I like most about a good board game is nothing needs to be changed. A new game can be made, from ideas sprung forth from the first (which is what I wish this was). But I think if it was a really great board game, which Mage Knight was, then no, there isn't much need for several little changes. I would love to have seen what amounted to a stand alone expansion with a very different take, keeping the core elements. Remove some, add some, but not changing any (which is what leads to confusion, when you have lots of little rule differences, instead of straight up additions or removals). I thought the removal of the Artifact deck was interesting, but I was waiting to hear what was added. It sounds like mostly stuff was just removed and a few new cards were added.

I dunno, to each their own. Some games need fixing. Others don't. This one didn't need fixing. I just wanted more Mage Knight, and was happy to see more, but sad it was just more of mostly the same instead of more as in new content.

I hope it does well though! There's definitely room for two similar games. I know the fantasy theme kills it for some people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, with all the debate around whether this is just a reskin or if the differences are enough to make it a new experience, I never once considered the OP's point that minor differences can lead to some real frustration. I have a hard enough time re-learning MK on the rare occasions it makes it to the table (I still love it). I can easily see myself having some memory bleed when trying to keep the two games separate. Still on the fence about this one. But I'm glad others are enjoying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah i had intentions on keeping both, but after one playthrough I think I'll trade it and keep MK. They are virtually identical games, so to me it comes down to if you like Star Trek or high fantasy more, otherwise there is really almost zero difference between the games and not worth keeping both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I love 'em both and intend to keep both. For me they seem different, but I usually have an eye more for thematic stuff rather than the mechanic that underlies the theme. Really enjoying ST:F.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Held
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
This shark, swallow you whole.
badge
I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish.
mbmbmbmbmb
ira212 wrote:
If a designer gets to make several little changes, don't all those little changed lead to a better game? Are the changes purely thematic, or are they balance related?

I think the balance of the game is thrown off in comparison to Mage Knight-I'm finding it much too easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like these differences are comparable to the Brass/Age of Industry differences. I learned and played Age of Industry and never wanted to be confused by the differences in Brass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert Leonhard wrote:
I love 'em both and intend to keep both. For me they seem different, but I usually have an eye more for thematic stuff rather than the mechanic that underlies the theme. Really enjoying ST:F.

Euros (my fave) tend to repeat the same mechanisms with different themes and the difference in theming makes it a different game for me. Just ordered STF tonight and I'm hoping this applies here as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ira212 wrote:

How could this be remotely true? You could just as easily say that those little tweaks have made the game worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JJWonderboy wrote:
ira212 wrote:

How could this be remotely true? You could just as easily say that those little tweaks have made the game worse.

It could be true if it were the same designer. Seems when they get a crack at a new edition/printing, they try to incorporate small ideas and balances that they've picked up after the game has been in the wild and getting feedback for a while.

In this case, it's a new designer who is making the changes potentially to improve the game or to simply fit the new theme...maybe both. So it's more of a stretch to say they will automatically result in a better game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It increases its appeal to me as I don't own mage knight , wanted it a long time but decided to wait and see what frontiers was like. The star trek theme appeals so I have a chance to get a star trek game and mage knight combined seems like a win for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
japester1 wrote:
JJWonderboy wrote:
ira212 wrote:

It could be true if it were the same designer. Seems when they get a crack at a new edition/printing, they try to incorporate small ideas and balances that they've picked up after the game has been in the wild and getting feedback for a while.

In this case, it's a new designer who is making the changes potentially to improve the game or to simply fit the new theme...maybe both. So it's more of a stretch to say they will automatically result in a better game.

Exactly. In my opinion, Vlaada is one of the best designers in the business. He designed this game with the Mage Knight theme in mind. No dissing the other designer, but I'm assuming his task was to "tweak" as little as possible (why mess with awesomeness) to fit with the Star Trek brand. With that in mind, I'd be surprised if it was better.

I'm no fan of WizKids (if it wasn't for Vlaada creating MK I'd probably go nowhere near them). I think they've seen Fantasy Flight take their Descent mechanics and reimplement to the Star Wars brand and thought, "hey, we can do that too. We have Star Trek and a great game in MK. Do as little work as possible and... Voila!"

Sorry, WizKids, but it doesn't wash with this particular gamer (for what it's worth).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay Avni
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
After playing through a first scenario, I have the following comments:

1) There are a handful of minor rule changes (and one major: away parties) that were done not so much to improve the game but to thematically integrate into the Star Trek universe. They work well within the context of the theme, and time will tell if I agree within the context of gameplay. I like them so far but haven't played enough to have a strong opinion.

2) The board artwork is clumsy. That's not to say it's bad; it's just that in MK, it was very easy to discern the difference between a keep, a mage tower, a monster lair, etc. In ST:F, the majority of locations are planets (i.e., colored circles) where you need a reference to tell which is which.

3) Component quality is reasonable, but inferior to MK. If you're a bit whore, you're going to be disappointed. As long as they hold up over time, this isn't a big concern of mine.

There's room on my shelves (not really, but I pretend) for both games right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.