Subject: Some questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
badge
Fun game so far! I've managed to convince my wife to try (her first wargame beyond Command & Colors). We took a pause for the night and will wrap up the battle tomorrow! Things aren't looking good for my Union boys.

Anyway, I think most of my rules questions have been answered by the errata in War Diary and on here but we had some uncertainty about combining fire.

The rules state:

A maximum of two adjacent companies may combine Volley Fire against a single target hex.

- Is this also equivalent to saying that a unit may only be the target of a maximum of two Volley Fire actions, and they must be from adjacent units? In other words, can you do two or more separate fire actions against the same target from non-adjacent companies? Can you do a combined fire with two companies against a target, and then follow up with another fire by a different company against the same target?

-Two adjacent, strength-2 units combine fire. The target is at range 3 from one unit and range 4 from the other. How is it resolved? Two dice for one unit (hit on 5-6) and two dice for the other (hit on 6)? Or four dice mixed, but hit on 5-6 or on 6?

A couple other minor clarifications:

- If an officer is stacked with a company, they engage in melee, and the result is that they must retreat, does the officer suffer two casualty checks (one for the melee, one for the retreat)?

- The rules state Companies under confused orders cannot conduct Volley Fire...Companies may be forced into an enemy ZOC, in which case they are marked with a melee marker and Melee Combat takes place during the Melee phase.: Just to clarify, companies affected by confused orders skip both the Volley Fire and the Movement Phase, right? (no mention of the movement phase in the above rule, but it wouldn't make sense to me if they could move after confused orders).

- The above quote is the only mention of the melee markers. What was their intention? To mark the required melees?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
- Is this also equivalent to saying that a unit may only be the target of a maximum of two Volley Fire actions, (NO) and they must be from adjacent units? (YES)In other words, can you do two or more separate fire actions against the same target from non-adjacent companies? (YES) Can you do a combined fire with two companies against a target, and then follow up with another fire by a different company against the same target? (YES)

-Two adjacent, strength-2 units combine fire. The target is at range 3 from one unit and range 4 from the other. How is it resolved? Two dice for one unit (hit on 5-6) and two dice for the other (hit on 6)? (TWO DICE FOR ONE UNIT HIT ON 5-6 AND TWO DICE FOR THE OTHER HIT ON A 6) Or four dice mixed, but hit on 5-6 or on 6?

- If an officer is stacked with a company, they engage in melee, and the result is that they must retreat, does the officer suffer two casualty checks (one for the melee, one for the retreat) (NOPE - JUST ONE)?

- The rules state Companies under confused orders cannot conduct Volley Fire...Companies may be forced into an enemy ZOC, in which case they are marked with a melee marker and Melee Combat takes place during the Melee phase.: Just to clarify, companies affected by confused orders skip both the Volley Fire and the Movement Phase, right? (no mention of the movement phase in the above rule, but it wouldn't make sense to me if they could move after confused orders) (HEALTHY COMPANIES, THAT IS, UNBROKEN COMPANIES, AFFECTED BY CONFUSED ORDERS ONLY MOVE ACCORDING TO THE DIRECTION GIVEN THEM BY THE CONFUSED ORDER ROLL).

- The above quote is the only mention of the melee markers. What was their intention? To mark the required melees? (YES - FEW PEOPLE USE THEM. I DON'T).

BRANDON, ARE YOU FAMILIAR WITH VASSAL? IF SO, WOULD YOU BE INTERESTED IN HELPING US PLAYTEST BALL'S BLUFF'S BIG BROTHER - BELMONT?"

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT AND YOUR QUESTIONS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
badge
Hi John, thanks for the clarifications!

Poniske wrote:
(TWO DICE FOR ONE UNIT HIT ON 5-6 AND TWO DICE FOR THE OTHER HIT ON A 6)[/b]

I was about to complain that there was then no point to combining fire but the obvious just hit me: by combining fire, you can reach that 3-hit elimination result. So ok, that makes total sense now!

Poniske wrote:
HEALTHY COMPANIES, THAT IS, UNBROKEN COMPANIES, AFFECTED BY CONFUSED ORDERS ONLY MOVE ACCORDING TO THE DIRECTION GIVEN THEM BY THE CONFUSED ORDER ROLL)

That raises a possibility that I hadn't considered: broken companies are not required to move due to confused orders; does what you wrote mean that those broken companies whose regiment is under confused orders can still move in the Movement Phase? I would imagine that confused orders wouldn't affect a broken company's decision to turn tail and retreat.

Poniske wrote:
BRANDON, ARE YOU FAMILIAR WITH VASSAL? IF SO, WOULD YOU BE INTERESTED IN HELPING US PLAYTEST BALL'S BLUFF'S BIG BROTHER - BELMONT?"

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT AND YOUR QUESTIONS.

Sure, that would be interesting. I'll send you a message with my email address. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding confused orders. Correct. Broken companies are unaffected by confused orders and may still move ... but only to the REAR. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:
Hi John, thanks for the clarifications!

Poniske wrote:
(TWO DICE FOR ONE UNIT HIT ON 5-6 AND TWO DICE FOR THE OTHER HIT ON A 6)[/b]

I was about to complain that there was then no point to combining fire but the obvious just hit me: by combining fire, you can reach that 3-hit elimination result. So ok, that makes total sense now!

It seems to me that it would be better to have the two companies fire separately. If the first scores a hit the target becomes broken but doesn't retreat, and a hit from the second company will eliminate it. Of course, if the first company scores two hits the target will retreat, probably out of range. The chances of scoring three hits from two units (two dice each) are 8 out of 81. The chances of scoring exactly one hit from the first unit (causing the target to break but not retreat) and one or two hits from the second unit (causing the broken target to be eliminated) are 20 out of 81.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls