7 Posts

Fury of Dracula (Third/Fourth Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dracula legally has nowhere to move rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Octo Rex
msg tools
mb
There certain situations where Dracula may have no options of locations to move to. Most of these are covered by the Dracula errors rule, the RR states the following:
Quote:
If Dracula cannot play a card, he has committed an error and
suffers the penalty.
However unless I'm missing something, it's not always an error. What if you land on, say, Athens coming in off the sea and the hunters play consecrated ground on Valona (somehow) leaving you with no locations to move to? That's not your fault, so you should still suffer the error penalty?

I would hazard a guess at 'yes you should' as really what else are you going to do other than start making rules up? However, you could argue it's for different reasons as it's not an error e.g. he's properly cornered by the hunters so as a reward he's damaged etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Octopus Rex wrote:
There certain situations where Dracula may have no options of locations to move to. Most of these are covered by the Dracula errors rule, the RR states the following:
Quote:
If Dracula cannot play a card, he has committed an error and
suffers the penalty.
However unless I'm missing something, it's not always an error. What if you land on, say, Athens coming in off the sea and the hunters play consecrated ground on Valona (somehow) leaving you with no locations to move to? That's not your fault, so you should still suffer the error penalty?

I would hazard a guess at 'yes you should' as really what else are you going to do other than start making rules up? However, you could argue it's for different reasons as it's not an error e.g. he's properly cornered by the hunters so as a reward he's damaged etc.
He's done. Probably poor choice of words but trapping Dracula in this way is one way the Hunters can bring him to bay. So it's game over, whether and "error" or not. The "error" is not allowing yourself other options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis David
Philippines
flag msg tools
Well, I would think that if you feel the hunters have a hunch on where you are or where you'll be, you should consider other options. IMHO, Dracula getting stuck is his fault--he got himself to that point. Remember that the map is not perfect, and the hunters are looking for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dracula in this situation can play Hide, Dark Call, Feed, and hopefully get Misdirect back to play on the sea space so he can legally move.
In other words, just because you can't play a city or sea card doesn't mean you can't play a card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abredon wrote:
Dracula in this situation can play Hide, Dark Call, Feed, and hopefully get Misdirect back to play on the sea space so he can legally move.
In other words, just because you can't play a city or sea card doesn't mean you can't play a card.

I can't speak for the OP, but bear in mind that these sort of questions often arise from play of the basic rules which don't include the power cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Octo Rex
msg tools
mb
OK, thanks for your answers guys.

Yeah, this is currently basic rules only at this point where something like this is more likely (can't graduate off the basic rules yet because I don't have a regular group so keep having new players). The power cards do give you more options for sure, but it's still entirely feasible to get stuck (though rare) so it's still a valid question. Overall though, yeah, makes sense that he's done and gets punished as it's either a weak play from the count or strong play from the hunters and so deserves a reward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thespaceinvader -
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Use the power cards anyway. Drac is hamstrung and boring as hell to play without them.

Even with the power cards this situation CAN happen - but if it does, it's undeniable that Drac HAS made an error in that situation, even if it's not his fault...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls