Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have finally had the opportunity to upload the images of the app that I created for TotAN: (it handles all of the fiddly bits required to play the game)

Setup:
There is a setup option button in the upper left corner. Here you add the player's names. Once setup you enter the skills that you randomly draw or chose into the section "I". Once this is done the App is ready to use. Click the "Next Encounter" button.

Status notices for those you have will appear in the box above the encounter "G". It is important to take note of these before making your selection (Envious and Insane in this case, "Rob" should have been chosen in this example)

When you turn a card you enter the card's encounter # into box "A", enter the terrain value "B" and your Destiny Track adjustment "C". Then click the die to roll and find out who you are to encounter. It will be displayed with the options available for the encounter shown next to "H".

All options for the encounter are shown. Click the button next to your choice and the option will turn yellow (grovel, in this case). The Destiny die will roll automatically "F" (-1/0/1) and display the paragraphs (root and adjusted paragraph #s, "L").

If you have a master skill and area able to use it (the program will block skills that statuses affect) the paragraph with the skill(s) will appear in the section in the lower right "K" (Beguiling in this case)

You then click on the adjusted paragraph or the master skill paragraph # to be taken to the paragraph text from the Book of Tales.

Additionally, the sections "M" and "N" are available to permit you to go directly to a particular paragraph, Place of Power or to encounter a specific person as dictated by encounters. The Place of Power form looks similar to the paragraph result shown here but tailored to the Place of Power encounters.

Breaking down this screen image:

Only the paragraph text "A", Status reminders "B" for this step in the process and the encounter choices "C" are displayed at first. Once a selection is made it becomes highlighted and the result paragraph "D" and the resulting rewards are displayed "E" in the lower portion of the screen. Other options are also made available (dice rolls, goto paragraph option and Status reminders "F") when needed. Clicking on the goto paragraphs that appear will automatically take you to that paragraph.

If you have respected or other status that permits you to re-select a reaction, re-roll etc. you close this form and you are taken back to the main screen to change the encounter.

Once all results have been taken, close the form, update the current player's statuses and skills, clicking the next encounter button to move to the next player which will display that player's holdings.

The game proceeds follow this process until the game ends normally.

Hopefully, this gives all of you an idea of what I have put together to help us play TotAN.

If you have any comments or questions, please contribute and I will do what I can to answer them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Foley
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
PM me for a Pint
badge
And as the world so Ordered Be, With a time to Rise and a time to Fall. Come raise with me the Parting Glass. Goodnight, and Joy be with you all!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this an Android or iOS app? Or is this a web page? How would interested parties be able to use said app?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
irishman wrote:
Is this an Android or iOS app? Or is this a web page? How would interested parties be able to use said app?
This is an .mdb "App" that I put together. It is not currently available for purchase as it would need to be adapted to the traditional App medium.

This was a labor of love that I wanted to share with the community. Perhaps it will become available in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will McG
United States
New York
flag msg tools
This looks great - really nice work! Reading your other threads on this has been interesting and I can only imagine the hours you put into this.

A few questions - based on the example you gave, using the brass trumpet would award you a skill (quick thinking)...that should trigger the loss of the "Insane" status. Does that automatically update for you, or do you have to manually remove the status?

Also - the thing I am constantly trying to get my friends/family to do - replacing "the other" with the encountered person/thing when reading encounter paragraphs...I see that your text includes "the other". Any thought to replacing it with the actual encountered person/thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kryptonscout wrote:
This looks great - really nice work! Reading your other threads on this has been interesting and I can only imagine the hours you put into this.

A few questions - based on the example you gave, using the brass trumpet would award you a skill (quick thinking)...that should trigger the loss of the "Insane" status. Does that automatically update for you, or do you have to manually remove the status?
I currently do not have an automatic removal. Once the encounter is closed, adjustments are made manually. I was concerned about retraction after selection as some of the statuses permit you to "rewind". I wanted to make sure that I had that in as this a time consuming element playing normally. I could add an acknowledgment function that would "close" the encounter. No take backs at that point.

Quote:
Also - the thing I am constantly trying to get my friends/family to do - replacing "the other" with the encountered person/thing when reading encounter paragraphs...I see that your text includes "the other". Any thought to replacing it with the actual encountered person/thing?
I have done this throughout the text. The jailer paragraphs in particular. I thought about gender changes or character "substitutions" based on the person being encountered. Not sure if it will make sense in all cases.

I still want to do more with the treasures and integrate my scoring system as well.

Would adding additional encounters be too much? Given the nature of the file at this point more content can be added ... ahh but there is that demon called time that gets in the way.

I was tinkering with the file the other day performing a micro analysis of the paragraphs and results to ensure that I have everything as tight as I can get it. Not much found, an extra or misplaced word here and there and a couple points of clarification.

Thanks for your comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls