Subject: Gig bonus clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

the Gig card says:

Quote:
If you do not Perform, nor participate in a Performance this turn, you receive 2 fame and 3 money

Can I choose not to take this?

This is a bonus, it's supposed to be a reward, a good thing so it's assume that everyone will always want to receive it... but in my last game there was a round that I didn't want to receive this because I wanted to be the 1st player in the next round.

I think that a reward shouldn't be a compulsory thing, an obligation... I should be able to choose not to receive it... If this was a Penalty there would be no questioning it, but since it is a reward shouldn't I be allowed to say: "Thank you but I'll pass, you can keep this reward"

It was debated but since the card doesn't say "you may" the other players said I would have to take it even if I didn't want it...

I can see and understand their reasoning but I also think that I should be able to say No to a bonus, to a reward If I don't want it...
Like I said above, I think that the "you may" is only missing from the card because it's assumed that you'll always want to receive the Fame and Money.

i wanted to know what you guys think, and if I could get an official reply it would be even better

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have the choice to pick it up at the start of the round. There's your choice. I'd say, without a "may" that it's compulsory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
You have the choice to pick it up at the start of the round. There's your choice. I'd say, without a "may" that it's compulsory.

it really isn't a choice at the start of the round because at that point I don't know how many points the other players will score... this makes a difference at the end of the round

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnen Golombek
United States
Mount Clemens
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As you have it quoted I would say that even if you do not perform the actions, you still get the bonuses.

Sorry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muse23PT wrote:
kelann08 wrote:

it really isn't a choice at the start of the round because at that point I don't know how many points the other players will score... this makes a difference at the end of the round

You may not like the choice, but a choice it is nonetheless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly, this seems like something that can very easily be agreed upon one way or the other, before you start the game (before anyone receives any cards), as long as you know the problem exists (which you perhaps didn't, but do now)

Secondly, yes, it is a bonus, but that doesn't make it obvious that it should be voluntary. The bonus becomes more powerful if it's voluntary, since it could then never backfire. If it's not voluntary, it will usually be a great thing, but could sometimes be not so great. The dynamic changes.

Thirdly, if you look at it thematically, I guess it would make sense to be able to reject the money, but there is no reason why the magician should be able to "reject" getting more famous for taking (or not taking) a particular action.

I hope your game night was still a success!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
mbmbmbmbmb
As you said there would be no question about a penalty. There is no questionaabout this either. It is neither a "reward" or a"penalty". It is the result of your choice/action. In a board game you rarely get to reject a consequence just because you don't like it. Same here. You chose not to perform and money and fame is the result. That's the game. Make better choices next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpecularRain wrote:
Firstly, this seems like something that can very easily be agreed upon one way or the other, before you start the game (before anyone receives any cards), as long as you know the problem exists (which you perhaps didn't, but do now)

Secondly, yes, it is a bonus, but that doesn't make it obvious that it should be voluntary. The bonus becomes more powerful if it's voluntary, since it could then never backfire. If it's not voluntary, it will usually be a great thing, but could sometimes be not so great. The dynamic changes.

Thirdly, if you look at it thematically, I guess it would make sense to be able to reject the money, but there is no reason why the magician should be able to "reject" getting more famous for taking (or not taking) a particular action.

I hope your game night was still a success!

Thanks you... I thought of that thematic reasoning also... I could reject the money but not the fame because people would have seen the gig.
But the thing I was going for wasn't performing the gig but not get the rewards, it was choosing to not activate the card, so there was no Gig

And it was a success... the game is great and I won

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls