Subject: Scenario 1 - Lightning of the Ancients against Monstrosities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
deekerston schweddy
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Rulebook page 29 indicates "Monstrosity - Roll 3 dice and if gaining a 4+ on any die, the Monstrosity is destroyed", however, on the Group Mission Card it indicates you have to roll a 5+ to destroy each monstrosity. Which is it, 4+ or 5+??? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Phay
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deekerston wrote:
Rulebook page 29 indicates "Monstrosity - Roll 3 dice and if gaining a 4+ on any die, the Monstrosity is destroyed", however, on the Group Mission Card it indicates you have to roll a 5+ to destroy each monstrosity. Which is it, 4+ or 5+??? Thanks!

Unless they post something in the FAQ I have been playing it where the Monstrosities are just a little tougher in this Scenario.

For me Scenarios always trump the rule book.

Ray
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be the correct way to look at it. Scenarios are special versions of the base game. It's still a good question to ask just in case it was an editing error. It might have been altered from 5-6 to 4-6 in the rulebook and it wasn't changed on the scenario. I'm afraid only Richard Launius or Jason Maxwell can answer that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still want to see the answer for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
These are 2 totally different attacks. When using the Laser, you use the mission card, you do not even draw a Monstrosity card, When attacking outright, you draw the card and follow it.

Hope this answers your question.

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Richard. Great to see you around in these forums so often.

Is it 4+ to hit a monstrosity or 5+ when you use the laser? That's where rulebook and group mission card are not aligned.

deekerston wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Shirey
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
he did answer it "These are 2 totally different attacks. When using the Laser, you use the mission card, you do not even draw a Monstrosity card, When attacking outright, you draw the card and follow it.

Hope this answers your question.

Richard" when attacking with the Laser use the mission card information. When attacking normally use the rulebook attack info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for a thematic answer, the heroes aren't fully trained in the use of the laser vs. their normal hand weapons, and perhaps monstrosities move really fast relative to the positioning required for the laser (or it could be lag transmitting the signal to a satellite, etc), so it's more difficult to take out monstrosities with the laser.

Another explanation could be that monstrosities have weak points (like big eyes or a soft spot in the skull) that Rangers are taking advantage of up close that the laser can't target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, but I am saying (as the OP did) that for firing the laser, the rulebook has different rules than the mission card. They both explain how to fire the laser on monsters, but use different values.

I am not sure if that was answered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is pretty simple. If you want a harder game, use 5+ to kill a monstrosity. If you want an easier game, use a 4+ to kill a monstrosity. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Detert
msg tools
When attacking Krank with the laser, do you reveal his tech cards just like you would if you were attacking him with a combat action and dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Battle Droid
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. You are not in direct combat with him. It is similar to a sabotage action. Just a reminder though, you need to get a 5+ to register a hit though on each die when using the Laser on a leader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Detert
msg tools
So the only time you reveal Krank's tech cards is if you combat him directly with the dice? Basically, you can sabotage him and then blast him with the laser to kill him and you will never have to reveal his tech cards? For that matter, you can just sabotage and use the laser to kill any of the leaders without going into direct combat with them. Is that also correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Battle Droid
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. But of course you need the Karma to activate the Laser and you need 2 crossed pistols Defender cards per sabotage action, so you may run out of time if you do not engage any Leaders directly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Detert
msg tools
Speaking of direct combat. If you spend an action to combat a leader with the dice, and you don't kill the leader on that combat attempt, do you have to suffer the penalty on the leaders card? If that is the case, the only time you would want to really combat a leader directly is if you are pretty sure you can kill him on that one combat, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Failure to eliminate the Leader dice combat results in the application of the Leader penalty. Otherwise, why have a penalty?

It is best to have several Rangers, together, attack a Leader in order to optimize the chances of defeating the Leader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilo Force
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
I play with Red
badge
I play with Red
mbmbmbmbmb
Was this conflicting rules answer ever officially answered? Is the weapon's strength that on the "group mission card" being 5+, or that in the rulebook "New Action: Targeting Lightning" at 4+?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The mission cards are considered to be more accurate than the rule book, so it would be 5+ on one of the 3 dice. The laser is harder to target.

Monstrosities are normally 4+ to hit because minions default to the base value of their leader (Puke is 4+), but the attack value for Monstrosities can change because of their revealed Monstrosity card or Lightning of the Ancients (which is 5+).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilo Force
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
I play with Red
badge
I play with Red
mbmbmbmbmb
Autoduelist wrote:
The mission cards are considered to be more accurate than the rule book, so it would be 5+ on one of the 3 dice. The laser is harder to target.

Monstrosities are normally 4+ to hit because minions default to the base value of their leader (Puke is 4+), but the attack value for Monstrosities can change because of their revealed Monstrosity card or Lightning of the Ancients (which is 5+).

Thank you for the response.

I understand your logic, but the counter logic is that we find the Ancient Weapon of Super Power, but it is weaker than the "Special" cards that just remove Monstrosities, or "in general" just walking up and punching the Monstrosity directly in the face? I can see why the Rulebook was written with the 4+.

I was just hoping Richard would confirm which is the official correct "value" for the two conflicting rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L G
msg tools
kiloforce wrote:
[q="Autoduelist"]I understand your logic, but the counter logic is that we find the Ancient Weapon of Super Power, but it is weaker than the "Special" cards that just remove Monstrosities, or "in general" just walking up and punching the Monstrosity directly in the face? I can see why the Rulebook was written with the 4+.

I was just hoping Richard would confirm which is the official correct "value" for the two conflicting rules.

You are calling the home base which fires a huge laser on the location you describe, of course it won't be very accurate. You also don't have to take damage if you miss.

It also disregards any special defenses or abilities the monstrosity might have. And it totally disintegrates it - you don't get any cards for the kill. I think it's all fully logical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls