Subject: Revised Reference - Another take rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing this game for quite sometime. Today I logged my 96th play, and I know there have been a handful of games that I didn't log for some reason or another (usually I'm pretty anal about logging plays).

Embarrassingly, I still happen upon a rules question that I haven't quite grokked, and yesterday while searching the forum for answers I happened upon the revised reference cards...

Interesting I thyought. Re-balancing the game because some mechanics in the expansions knocked them out of whack. Advance active mystery, I'm looking at you!

So I tried it, I got killed...thrice. Not even close.

Long ago, I started playing random investigators without replacement, but reinstated my own variant replacement rule because I found that without replacement, there were just too many stupid ways for your investigators to get eliminated by no fault of your own, so I instituted a rule that when replacing, I can only place a new investigator in a space where a surviving investigator stands... kind of like recruiting.

This re-balanced my games quite nicely, but then I was winning quite easily when the Advance Active Mystery mechanic really started to show....granted it is only truly prevalent when sideboards are available or certain preludes, but still can easily be exploited if done properly... so I instituted rules 2 and 3 (the third which I stole from these very forums)

Firstly, I doubled the gates at startup. Since I primarily play with 4 investigators, this just means that instead of 1 gate at the start, I play with 2, but keep the 1 Gate, 2 Monster, 2 Clue as my Mythos values... unless I'm on the Red Omen (which is the rule I borrowed from another user (drat if I can't remember)) then I spawn +1 gate... So usually 2.

This made my games rich with timing decisions, and mythos counting, etc..

Granted, I have only played the Revised Reference Cards three times now.. but I dislike them. They force the game too much in my humble opinion. The mythos deck isn't even half depleted when the game gets out of hand....

I think way too much depends on the combination of prelude, GOO, and investigators to determine the difficulty of the game... some preludes and GOO combinations are just downright tough... and some are pretty easy.

TLDR
1) I dislike the new reference cards
- some prelude and GOO combinations are just easy/hard
- kills the timing of mythos - why even have the bottom 8 cards?
2) I rebalanced my games long ago by...
- Random investigators
- Doubling gates at start up
- +1 Gate spawns on red omen (borrowed)
- limiting replacement investigators by location
3) You should try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dlikos wrote:
Firstly, I doubled the gates at startup. Since I primarily play with 4 investigators, this just means that instead of 1 gate at the start, I play with 2, but keep the 1 Gate, 2 Monster, 2 Clue as my Mythos values... unless I'm on the Red Omen (which is the rule I borrowed from another user (drat if I can't remember)) then I spawn +1 gate... So usually 2.
This one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dlikos wrote:
... so I instituted a rule that when replacing, I can only place a new investigator in a space where a surviving investigator stands... kind of like recruiting.

Just to clarify: do you mean that you can recruit anyone, but they have to start on the same space as a defeated Investigator, or that you can only recruit a person whose normal starting space is that of a defeated Investigator? The wording implies, to me, the former, but i suspect the intent is the latter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
dlikos wrote:
... so I instituted a rule that when replacing, I can only place a new investigator in a space where a surviving investigator stands... kind of like recruiting.

Just to clarify: do you mean that you can recruit anyone, but they have to start on the same space as a defeated Investigator, or that you can only recruit a person whose normal starting space is that of a defeated Investigator? The wording implies, to me, the former, but i suspect the intent is the latter.

The latter. I only allow myself to recruit a replacement whose default starting spaces is one an investigator currently occupies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the new reference card meant to be an errata for the original, or is it meant to be a variant for people that want more of a challenge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Variant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
Is the new reference card meant to be an errata for the original, or is it meant to be a variant for people that want more of a challenge?
If you're asking about the official one, for a week it was treated as an errata (but applicable to Mountains of Madness and later expansions). After a week it was restyled as a variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls