Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: Game for Me? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Halowell

Maryland
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I fell in love with the artwork for this game, and think that Jamey's vision for the project is really cool. I've watched some videos and think the game looks really interesting and visually stunning.

I know that it is a euro game at heart, and most of the games that I find myself enjoying the most are a little on the thematic/Ameritrash side (i.e. Battlelore 2.0, Evolution, King of Tokyo, Survive, Nexus Ops, etc.).

However, I have been wanting a game that has deeper strategy and less luck, but that still maintains that player interaction and fun table talk. A big part of why I love games is the joking around with people. But I'm also yearning for some deeper and more deterministic strategy.

Do you guys feel like this game provides that mix of deep strategy while encouraging interaction and table talk? Or does it still feel a bit like a solataire euro game without much talking (i.e. Dominion)?

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mhalowel wrote:
I fell in love with the artwork for this game, and think that Jamey's vision for the project is really cool. I've watched some videos and think the game looks really interesting and visually stunning.

I know that it is a euro game at heart, and most of the games that I find myself enjoying the most are a little on the thematic/Ameritrash side (i.e. Battlelore 2.0, Evolution, King of Tokyo, Survive, Nexus Ops, etc.).

However, I have been wanting a game that has deeper strategy and less luck, but that still maintains that player interaction and fun table talk. A big part of why I love games is the joking around with people. But I'm also yearning for some deeper and more deterministic strategy.

Do you guys feel like this game provides that mix of deep strategy while encouraging interaction and table talk? Or does it still feel a bit like a solataire euro game without much talking (i.e. Dominion)?

Thanks!

I haven't got my copy yet but I've read the rule set so obviously a large grain of salt applies here. I'll be interested in what others who have actually played say but battle that encourages player interaction is not as necessary to game play with Scythe as in-your-face Ameritrash battle games. Jamey called Scythe Kemet meets Agricola. My take away from that is that player interaction may land somewhere in between Battlelore and Agricola.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halowell

Maryland
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing your thoughts! That's primarily what I've heard too from researching the game. I know you can only get up to two stars for combat, and combat usually makes you lose popularity which is critical to endgame scoring.

I wonder if the threat of combat would provide that tension and interaction, and as a result encourage table talk.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mhalowel wrote:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts! That's primarily what I've heard too from researching the game. I know you can only get up to two stars for combat, and combat usually makes you lose popularity which is critical to endgame scoring.

I wonder if the threat of combat would provide that tension and interaction, and as a result encourage table talk.

I can really see that. Posturing for battle likely would elicit conversation because it isn't as prominent. You really don't need battle in Clash of Cultures, but when I see my opponent arming up, it invariably creates interaction. It is indeed the threat of war and the resulting tensions that gets the talk going. Good point.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a part in Rodney's Watch it Played where he states that side deals and bargains is encouraged. I'll give you 5 coins to not play a card against me...etc. We didn't do this when we played, but this would be another interactive element. The game has a lot less combat than Nexus Ops, and the combat has no dice and is less complicated than Nexus Ops. It's not a brain burner like Agricola, but I think it'd meet your desire to have a thematic strategic game with player interactions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ZombieDad2 wrote:
There is a part in Rodney's Watch it Played where he states that side deals and bargains is encouraged.

I wouldn't say it's encouraged.... more that it's allowed. Like, it's an option. In my few plays, it's not been done yet - but with some groups I could see it come up.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike MacMartin
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I found, in the one game I played (and I hope it persists), that the threat of one person building up their military was enough to trigger everyone else building up their military. That it feels like a bit of a "cold war" - you can't afford to not invest in the direct strength, because otherwise someone who has more strength than you can take your resources away. That was cool.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mmacmartin wrote:
I found, in the one game I played (and I hope it persists), that the threat of one person building up their military was enough to trigger everyone else building up their military. That it feels like a bit of a "cold war" - you can't afford to not invest in the direct strength, because otherwise someone who has more strength than you can take your resources away. That was cool.

In our game we had one player who was clearly ahead on the power track, and there was an ominousness to it. Knowing he could just march across our territories at will also created that tension for us
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halowell

Maryland
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing guys!

Rodney, I'm a big fan of your Watch it Played series. And I did watch the rules video for Scythe which I found very helpful. Think you guys will do a play through series for Scythe?

Mike, that tension with people building up their forces is definitely something I would be looking for. Even if there isn't a lot of conflict, being forced to be aware of what everyone is doing, and having the opportunity to bribe/jest sounds like a lot of fun.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mhalowel wrote:
Do you guys feel like this game provides that mix of deep strategy while encouraging interaction and table talk? Or does it still feel a bit like a solataire euro game without much talking (i.e. Dominion)?

Thanks!

Yes! Absolutely!

mhalowel wrote:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts! That's primarily what I've heard too from researching the game. I know you can only get up to two stars for combat, and combat usually makes you lose popularity which is critical to endgame scoring.
Only if you displace a worker meeple do you lose popularity. It's a calculate cost of combat & part of the strategic puzzle.

mhalowel wrote:
I wonder if the threat of combat would provide that tension and interaction, and as a result encourage table talk.
Yes! Absoutely!

I have found that 2p tends to lean more towards the Euro, multi solitaire feel with a bit of Amerithrash combat thrown in. Add even one more player and the dynamic changes a lot. Now it's more crowded, and you have to account for the other players more. Trash talk, negotiations, and threat of combat increases.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls