Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cassidy W wrote:

So how did the tournament go? Who won? What was the prize? How close were the games? Question question question?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Tilton
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a great tourney. I know Ben will be posting a formal report of it soon. For the informal one:

*24 players
*4 Swiss Rounds
*Top 3 were 4-0.
*Semis winners were Baron Brendal and Shane Tilton(me). Baron won the tournament.

Addendum: In the prems, the games seem to go quickly. I thought all four games I played were close. One bad mistake would have quickly given me the loss. I just was lucky that I didn't fall for any hidden losses.

Anybody else that was there, what was your thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Tilton
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The other two semi-finalists were Gordon Lugauer (who played Baron) and Mitch Zuleger (who played me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I just watched this

Awesome! Great work, USTA!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J R
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was just about to pop in and ask if there were any records of the games, until I saw this thread: BenWo was the only person who could notate, and was busy running the tournament. Maybe next year someone could video the championship match!

EDIT
Interesting that it appears the tournament, or at least the final match, was 5x5 (I would have thought 6x6).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Troy
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Panglott wrote:
Interesting that it appears the tournament, or at least the final match, was 5x5 (I would have thought 6x6).

The entire tournament was 5x5. I'm not sure what the specific rationale was, but all the following seem plausible:

1) Shorter round time
2) The pre-production pieces were in for the 5x5 sets, but not the 6x6*
3) 6x6 would have implied "court" rules*, which include calling Tak -- see #1
4) The assumption was that most play to this point has been 5x5

... and so on.

* Note, speculation, I have no idea of production or final rule specifics beyond any other backer.

In other news, I'm kicking myself for not having seen this thread sooner. I played Shane in the 4th Swiss round, and the post-round for-fun game with him was the highlight of my tournament. I was quite pleased to see he did well after the cut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls