Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Chipman
United States
Murray
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the best method you've found to teach this game?

Does it lend itself to the "learning while playing" method?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chipmafia wrote:
What is the best method you've found to teach this game?

Does it lend itself to the "learning while playing" method?

Yes, I would say that it's a game where learning while playing is the way to go.

Here Jamey's take on how to teach the game (the video assumes that you already know the rules): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I36PYZBD4oQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched the Watch it Played video on 1.5x speed and was then able to teach the game quite easily. There's a lot of moving parts but each individual piece is very easy to explain. the quick ref cards are great and the iconography is very clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One element to note when teaching, the actions are not in the same order on the playmats, nor are the actions the same from top to bottom. Also, the enlist action is the most confusing...save this for last. The player summary cards are also helpful for suggesting first time actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wilkshire
msg tools
ZombieDad2 wrote:
One element to note when teaching, the actions are not in the same order on the playmats, nor are the actions the same from top to bottom.

This is important to note. While I love what it does for the game, depending who you are teaching, it can make the process a little tedious. I taught three friends how to play last night, and many of these actions needed to be 'taught' individually, several times over.

Conversely, if all action boards were the same, it would take one or two sweeps before everyone got it down. I think the individual teaching added to player confusion hearing what X did for Y player, and then assuming it was the same for them.

That said, it is a small price to pay given what it adds. We still had a blast, and Scythe definitely seems like a game that will get shinier with repeated play, especially beyond that first 'learning' game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Why aren't you at your post?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamey released his recommended way to teach it in this YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I36PYZBD4oQ

I'm still waiting on my copy/first game, but I'll probably watch Rodney's video one or two more times and then try Jamey's method.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Marr
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on how forgiving your group are. There are a few tricky rules that may bug people if it's not clear from the start how it works.

I watched Watch it Played twice and Jamey's how to a couple of times.

Then sat down and played a 2 player game with myself and then spent a bit of time thinking how to explain the rules and what I'll add on from Jamey's explanation that works well for my group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colleen Janes
United States
Carson City
Nevada
flag msg tools
mb
I will be teaching a beginner's game at RAGECON in June. I only have 2.5 hrs, so I'm going to cut down the number of stars needed to end the game to 4 or 5 (probably 5) to help ensure we have enough time to complete a game. At first I thought I might not play with the group--just teach, but then I realized playing and explaining what I'm doing will be important. I'm going to give myself the "1" work mat so that they can see me make my first move. I watched Jamey's video on how to teach the game; but, if anyone else has any tricks to offer, let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven St. John
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RandomStrategy wrote:
I will be teaching a beginner's game at RAGECON in June. I only have 2.5 hrs, so I'm going to cut down the number of stars needed to end the game to 4 or 5 (probably 5) to help ensure we have enough time to complete a game. At first I thought I might not play with the group--just teach, but then I realized playing and explaining what I'm doing will be important. I'm going to give myself the "1" work mat so that they can see me make my first move. I watched Jamey's video on how to teach the game; but, if anyone else has any tricks to offer, let me know.

Jamey's suggestion of having each of the 4 players take a different top action is very effective.

Something you could consider doing is giving everyone a certain number of starting resources to complete a bottom row action in their first or second turn. (For example, someone gets 2 or 3 oil, someone 3 or 4 food, someone 3 or 4 metal, and someone 3 or 4 wood.) This would: 1) speed up the game, 2) let you explain bottom row actions and their relationship to stars and bonuses like coins, and 3) give players a very visual lesson in the importance of accumulating resources through Produce, Trade, or conquest.

I would suggest waiting until the 2nd or 3rd turn to encourage everyone to look at their objectives. Objectives make more sense after a couple of turns. Just don't forget to do it, but it will be more meaningful after the game starts than before to go over those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colleen Janes
United States
Carson City
Nevada
flag msg tools
mb
Excellent suggestions! Thank you!

Thumb up