Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played with him today and he brought up a rules question that I thought I'd ask about. He has an ability to steal an item and then take on a Wanted condition. Let's say he does that. The next time his turn comes around, can he steal again? One player argued that he couldn't because he can't take on the same condition (Wanted) twice. Another said that that doesn't mean he can't steal because taking on the condition wasn't a payment for using the action anyway.

Here's a link to the pic of his card if you want to read it : https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/3048511/eldritch-horror-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can still steal. The way the ability is phrased, the choice you're making/action you're taking us "grab an asset", which you can do regardless of whether you're Wanted or not. Then, as a separate sentence, it says "take a Wanted condition" - but if you have one already, you can't get another.

If it said "gain a Wanted condition to take a thing", then gaining the condition is a cost and if you can't gain it, you can't do the rest of the text. But this way around, it's fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
We played with him today and he brought up a rules question that I thought I'd ask about. He has an ability to steal an item and then take on a Wanted condition. Let's say he does that. The next time his turn comes around, can he steal again? One player argued that he couldn't because he can't take on the same condition (Wanted) twice. Another said that that doesn't mean he can't steal because taking on the condition wasn't a payment for using the action anyway.

Here's a link to the pic of his card if you want to read it : https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/3048511/eldritch-horror-...

This is actually addressed in the FAQ section of the rules

Quote:
Q. Can Michael McGlen use his action ability if he already has a
Wanted Condition?
A. Yes. Michael McGlen can use his action ability if he has
a Wanted Condition. If he does, he resolves all effcts of the
ability except that he will not gain another Wanted Condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I had had that FAQ yesterday! Thank you for that information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
I wish I had had that FAQ yesterday!
It's included in the Signs of Carcosa box so the game's owner certainly should have it. (I don't know if that's you.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not me, but I hunted down a PDF of the document and was able to refer to the exact place for my friends so that we'll be sure to have that down right in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.