Yokohama» Forums » General

Subject: Solo play possible? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jamel Rha
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the simple, quick but deep gameplay of Yokohama but I won't find anyone to play with (not everyone has a group lol). In fact, I play solo almost always now.

In the opinions of those having played the game, is it possible to somehow play this game alone? For example, is it enjoyable playing alone a two players game (more players would be tough to manage), planning each turn the best moves possible?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to feel the same way, until recently I stared using meetup.com to find table-top game groups ... Now I'm often playing a couple times a week! Might be worth a try if you haven't looked there yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Preder
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
telos81 wrote:
I used to feel the same way, until recently I stared using meetup.com to find table-top game groups ... Now I'm often playing a couple times a week! Might be worth a try if you haven't looked there yet.

This should be the stock response to just about anyone who requests a game have a solo play mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamel Rha
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not what i asked but thanks anyway.

Fwiw, i am not requesting an official solo mode (this is not a game fitted for that) but i am asking if it is still enjoyable solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Preder
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamelrha wrote:
This is not what i asked but thanks anyway.

Fwiw, i am not requesting an official solo mode (this is not a game fitted for that) but i am asking if it is still enjoyable solo.

So you don't even want a solo mode, and you are wondering if it would be fun playing each of the "2 player" sides yourself? No, this would not be fun. It's the board game equivalent of playing Fetch with yourself. Only going to be fun if you get a dog.

Highly suggest looking into meetup options. After finding some groups of people, it only took a few years, and now I know so many people who love to game, I can have parties of my own. Don't even have to leave the house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamel Rha
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to play solo. You like groups. So be it. Other opinions are welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MilkFromACow wrote:
telos81 wrote:

This should be the stock response to just about anyone who requests a game have a solo play mode.

Preeeeeeetty sure this response was meant to say that the suggestion to "find friends" was not helpful. I think MilkFromACow was criticizing telos81's response, not your question.

That being said, as someone who does a lot of solo play, there is a difference between a solo game (for example, Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game solo mode or the fan variant solo game for Valley of the Kings) and playing a game solo. The former turns the game into more of a puzzle, where you can win or lose or keep track of score, etc, and I find an enjoyable experience. The latter is, IMO, an ok way to try out a game before trying to explain to the group, but not really fulfilling unless it is a true co-op. (For example, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set solo is basically just playing as multiple players at once, but it still fulfilling).

Having looked over the game a little bit, but not intently (I am considering joining the KS, but haven't decided yet), I'd guess that eventually there will at least be a fan-made solo variant. People always seem interested in trying to come up with one for popular games.

But I tend to agree that playing a game with multi-player rules and just playing two different sides is pretty bleh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The original post wasn't really asking about a solo mode. Nor did the original post indicate that this person would rather play games solo. Infact I got the impression that this person would rather play games with other people but doesn't have a game group.

Just trying to be helpful because I've been really surprised how easy it was to play more games once I decided to put myself out there a bit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamel Rha
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
telos81 wrote:
The original post wasn't really asking about a solo mode. Nor did the original post indicate that this person would rather play games solo. Infact I got the impression that this person would rather play games with other people but doesn't have a game group.

Just trying to be helpful because I've been really surprised how easy it was to play more games once I decided to put myself out there a bit

Thank you for clarifying your reply. It is appreciated. Yeah i play board games mainly solo and I am quite happy with that hehe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Silberman
United States
Portola Valley
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not particularly fun as a solo game with the rules as written. I have the Japanese version and enjoy it 2-4. Better with 3-4. I played one solo game to tech it to myself. I would not recommend the purchase if that will be you primary method of playing the game.

Check the Kickstarter, maybe they are adding a solo play mode. I can imagine that being an option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamel Rha
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt and Greg: Thank you for your opinions, greatly appreciated. I realize that an AI would need to be built for solo gaming. As for playing two characters, I was thinking of giving them different goals to obtain to achieve Victory Point, which would have directed their ideal moves. But even then, it would miss some of the fun.

I will consider your advices before backing the KS. Thank you once again. And anyway, I have a ton of KS games due for the next 10 months lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
MilkFromACow wrote:
telos81 wrote:

This is a terrible response, actually. It's equivalent to someone ordering a steak and the waiter saying, "You know, I like the chicken better so why don't you just have that instead." Not to mention that the OP wasn't requesting a solo mode, they were asking whether the non-solo game was fun to play solo.

EDIT: Okay, maybe terrible is a bit harsh. I get that the responder was just trying to be encouraging and helpful and so on, so no harm no foul there. It was put nicely after all. Still not helpful, though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Sanderlin
United States
Maryland Heights
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MilkFromACow wrote:
telos81 wrote:

Who are you to judge? There are many reasons a person might be playing solo. I have a wife and two children, and both my wife and I have two jobs. Some people have a night shift so they are active in the day when most people are working. What about people that work retail or work weekends?

Your "find friends" or "get out more" response is insulting and not helpful at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Bennett
Canada
Canwood
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just found this and had to chime in. Yah, for some people finding a group genuinely isn't feasible. It has nothing to do with being shy or unwilling to try. I live one hour from any city big enough to try snd get a group. 2 hours from a city where it would be much easier to find a group. Ive tried in the three small towns near my home, two of which are so small they are called villages, and it's never worked. People will try once or twice, but for the most part just consider it "cute" and have no real genuine interest. So yah, find a group just isn't always good advice. I'm a mainly solo gamer out of necessity not choice. If I didnt solo game id have to drive four hours every week or two to do it, which isn't always feasible with work and personal life, or just not game very often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls