Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Essentially they think the game is just a race to get Titans and Dreadnaughts so they added a surcharge to anything with 2+ hull size. Also damage isn't immediately removed after a battle, they have to get back to a ship yard.

The surcharge rule, if I remember correctly, is 2-hull size ships pay +1$ for every level of attack/defense/tactics/movement and 3-hull size ships pay +3$ per level.

So if you researched +3 levels of attack, defense, tactics, and movement you'd pay an extra 36$ (3*4*3) for a 3-hull ship!

I suspect this might end up opening up a broken rush strategy or just make the game take inordinately long. What do you think? I'll be playing with their rules but what strategy do I need to employ to take advantage of these changes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Langenfeld
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you spell "group-think"?

As I am fond of "small ship" strategies, the "luxury tax" is overkill. I'd suggest they try playing for a while with smaller maps and no luxury tax and see how often a "big ship" strategy actually works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Play the game however, you want-- but I challenge you to get a CA fleet going early, toss some movement tech on them (and maybe some defense if you can) and push quickly into their territory. I have been crushed by relatively small CA fleets because I was playing the long game for DNs.

Also, Raiders make a nice curve ball against players that are trying to dump everything into ship tech research instead of building a military.

Just some food for thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mb
There is definitely a "power curve" related to ships in the game. I'm not referring to Talon here. There is no doubt that fully loaded Titans are very powerful, but getting there is another question. I have won a lot of games, even on big maps, with a BC fleet.

Fighters and raiders have also won games for me. While your opponent is taking his time building up to Titans, try showing up on his door step with Raider TWOs. You will wreck his economy and you will have two turns to do it because he will need two economic phases to buy two levels of scanners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alexandre Boureau
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of 20 games or so I have played, the only time I saw a titan was in coop.
In all other games, things were decided way before we could get there (I would have seen more if some of them had not ended in concession).
I find lots of scouts much bigger an issue than large ships, which require ATT/DEF 3 to be cost efficient.

Note that one reason for big ships getting it so easy might be the 75 CP given at start. Toning down the starting tech CP made scouts much more relevant in our games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls