Subject: Best and simplest heroes to teach the game with? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday we played our first game of Allegiance and had good time regardless of some rules questions. We played three player sworn enemy game with Mad King Janus V, Last Triarch De'soth Pravus, Demon Knight and General Thedric Egen, Commander of the Free Armies.

Especially the Mad King Janus V felt a bit underpowered compared to the other two, but it might be because the player was a bit lost in the beginning.

Anyways in order to teach the game easily to other members of our group what are the simplest and the most straightforward heroes to play? Preferable ones that don't break the normal game flow so everyone can get the hang of how the game flows before exploring the more complex heroes.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
From my experience:

Easiest to play for new players:

Monk
Enchantress
Druid
Elemental Wizard
Paladin
Commander
Death Knight

Less easy to play:
Ninja - He's not hard to understand, but a new player won't pick up on the reaction concept so easily.

Mad King - The rules and damage blockers are a bit confusing for new players.

Ranger - The traps alter how the game operates. It's not hard, but new players should feel more of a "standard" build.

Necromancer - Obvious special mechanism is obvious. Also I think it's a bit underpowered

Vampire - She's straight forward, but the fact that she adds tools to rivals is a slight turn off for new player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
UG specifically recommends Paladin and Commander as the easiest 2 heroes to play.

In my experience, the relative order of difficulty is:
Paladin - the most straightforward hero in the game
Commander - he's got his special troops, but straightforward otherwise
Death Knight - again, fairly straightforward, but introduces the concept of damaging your own units
Monk - the monk's power comes from being a one man army, he has to shade his balance more towards using his hero abilities as often as possible
Ninja - he's fairly straightforward, reaction abilities notwithstanding
Enchantress - her biggest challenge is knowing what are the best units to charm
Elementalist - his focus counters need good management, otherwise straightforward
Vampire - she's really fun, but managing the day/night cycle is key
Mad King - he plays defensively, the key is knowing when to strike
Necromancer - managing the discard piles for you pool of soldiers is the challenge here
Druid - knowing which form to be in is absolutely key
Ranger - easily the most swingy hero, the guessing game that are the traps make or break the Ranger, not recommended with more than 2 players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Levesque
Canada
Verdun
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paladin vs Commander is fairly easy to play, but to me it doesn't showcase the game as much as other heroes do. My goal when showing the game is to have an easy experience, but also to get them to want to play again right away Paladin vs Commander is maybe a bit too "vanilla" for that purpose.

I like Death Knight vs Elementalist. They both have cool mechanisms, but they don't change the game too much, like Vampire, Hunter or Druid would, for example. The Elementalist puts a strong emphasis on hero abilities, and the Death Knight fights really well for board control, and uses damage over time, putting a clock on that first game. They both have at least 1 reaction ability too.

Both are so different to play that when the game is over, it is much easier to tell the player that played for the first time that every character feels that different and thematic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.