Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
This little dude is "Shadax", the protagonist from the NES game Solstice.
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens if the last investigator is defeated? Who does he pass the lead investigator token too? Does he keep the role of leader even though he has no character?

This happened to me during a solo game. My investigator was defeated during tye encounter phase. During the Mythos phase I did not know how to deal with effects that targeted the lead investigator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT: sorry, i read "last" as "lead". Ignore my response below. It is left only as a reminder to my future self to read more carefully.

arne_sven wrote:
What happens if the last investigator is defeated? Who does he pass the lead investigator token too? Does he keep the role of leader even though he has no character?

This happened to me during a solo game. My investigator was defeated during tye encounter phase. During the Mythos phase I did not know how to deal with effects that targeted the lead investigator.

Page 4 of the reference guide, in the Defeated Investigator section, says:

Quote:
Pass Lead Investigator: If the defeated investigator has the Lead
Investigator token, he must pass it to an investigator of his choice.

The Devoured section (same page) says the same:

Quote:
Pass Lead Investigator: If the devoured investigator has the Lead
Investigator token, he must pass the token to an investigator of his
choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hmm, I'm at work and don't have my rules with me, but I thought in the event that all investigators were killed (at the same time) you loose the game? Thematically, their is no one to pass the torch to as it were.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arne_sven wrote:
What happens if the last investigator is defeated?

FAQ says:

Quote:

Q. If all investigators are defeated at the same time, do
investigators lose the game?

A. No. At the end of the Mythos Phase, each defeated
investigator will choose a new investigator to play as. However,
if being defeated would cause a player to be eliminated, such as
if the Ancient One has awoken, all players could be eliminated.
In this case, investigators lose the game.

At that point, the Lead Investigator title would go to an investigator of your choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arne_sven wrote:

If you mean you have completely used up all the investigators then as Brian says you lose the game.

If there are remaining investigators, then you will have to process all effects that happen until the end of the mythos phase when your newly chosen investigator can become lead investigator. Effects targeting the lead investigator will do nothing in accordance with the reference guide noting that the lead investigator is an investigator.

Quote:
A defeated investigator is not considered an investigator. A
defeated investigator cannot perform actions, resolve effcts, or be
affcted by effects that affect investigators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry. I probably should have been clearer from the start.

What if there is nobody else to pass the token to (because you are playing solo or because all other players are defeated/devoured? Do you then keep the token or is "nobody" considered to be the leader until the end of the mytos phase when new investigator are selected?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
I would play it this way: For anything that is about the player (final decision making) then the original player is still the lead investigator. For anything that is about the character (lead investigator is cursed, blessed, etc.) nothing happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RingelTree wrote:
I would play it this way: For anything that is about the player (final decision making) then the original player is still the lead investigator. For anything that is about the character (lead investigator is cursed, blessed, etc.) nothing happens.

Seems reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recalled that I have asked this question some time ago.
Nikki Valens wrote:
If all investigators are defeated (or have Lost in Time and Space Conditions), the Lead Investigator token cannot be passed. The player who had it last keeps it.

If an effect refers to the Lead Investigator during that time, the effect will be resolved only if able. For example, the Lead Investigator (the player) could still make a decision, but she cannot gain a possession or a Condition because there is currently no investigator to do so.

The Lost in Time and Space is included in the answer because when you're Lost you are unaffected by other game effects; among others you can't be passed the lead investigator token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.