4 Posts

Zombicide: Black Plague» Forums » Variants

Subject: A not so cooperative game of Black Plague rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian D.
Germany
flag msg tools
Zombicide Black Plague was my first Kickstarter ever and as much i like this game as it is, a friend of mine mentioned some time ago " every game gets better when you can screw the other players".
So i want to make ZBP a competetive game and here is what i came up with at the moment.

Set Up:
Each player draws a survivor 5 spawn cars 2 doors one spawnpoint and a gaming tile.
roll for starting player.
The starting player places a gaming tile and his survivor in one street zone, clockwise the other players do the same.
the last player places also one spawnpoint in one streetzone (without a survivor) followd by the other player against the clock.
Beginning with the starting player all players lay down one door till all doors are placed.
Doors can also be placed inside buildings.

Goal of the game:
Be the first to hit red danger level and escape from the board via a Street zone.
After the first player leaves the board each player has one last round skipping upcoming spawnphases.

Rules Changes:

-Opening doors
normal rule but on e failture the dice roll adds to the next atempt.
opening doors without a weapon with the ability can be done rolling a 6.
opening a door grants 2 exp.
Spawn rules after opening doors as normal.

-Combat
As each player fights for his own the zombies must roll for atack too and hit on a 5.
The abomination hit on 4s and has 2 attacks.
The damage done by the players stacks up.
So if I hit a fatty I must use 2 succesfull actions with a damage 1 weapon to kill him in one round.
If i have a multi dice weapon with damage 1 and have more successes i still do only one damage per action on a fatty or abomination.

-Items and searching:
sarching rules like normal
Items give an extra exp. at the end of the game... Water apples and salted meat give 2 exp each.

-Spawncards:
The spawncard have some special porpose as each player has some handcards.
1. a player may drop a spawncard to get one action ( max 2 per turn ).
2. the double spawn cards can be played as an interruption card. A player may use it in the spawn phase or when spawncards are played for rooms.
say: a spawncard for a room is drawn one player may play a double spawncard to get another spawn card for that room.
3. get the necro card out of the deck I have no use for the atm.

-Zombie actions:
the zombies act with the normal rules ( noise tokes line of sight and so on )

-Spawn phase:
Starting with the starting player each player play a spawn card face down on one spawntoken ( only one card per token)
reveal the spawn cards ( double spawn cards may the be played ) and place the zombies on the board.
Each player draws 2 spawn cards.
the next player clockwise becomes the new starting player and the new round begins.

Excuse me for my poor english whistle
I have not tested it fully now but id like to know what you guys think about it, and if someone does some testing with this setup Id be happy to get some feedback

Have fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo Heisenbrain
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
I am the one who mods!
badge
Are you pondering what I'm pondering?
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the idea, maybe i will test it in a couple of days.

I have a few questions for you:
Set Up:
-Can you put Spawn Zones in Streetzones not connected to the edge of the board?
-I would place all the boards first, then all Survivors, i think the last one would have an advantage your way

Goal:
-Do you win by being the last man standing? Or do you have to flee the board, after everbody else got killed?

I like the opening door rule by the way

Combat:
I don't know if these changes (zombies rolling dice to attack) might make the game to easy, i guess only playtesting will tell. I guess it the RNG can have an "unfair" effect: one survivor dies his first round with 3 Zombies, another lives after 10 attacked him unsuccessfully.

Spawncards:
I wouldn't dismiss the necromancers, you could plant them in a building your opponent just opened, and letting them flee could have a worse effect on your enemies than on you, so it provides interesting choices.
Maybe reward the necromancer kill by 3-5 xp, for the increased difficulty.

In total it might be a nice variation to the normal coop. You cannot wound the other player though, can you? So its more like a "sporty" competition than a battle to the death. And i like not being able to kill each other. Maybe add a xp penalty for shooting in a zone with another survivor, missing and hitting them "on accident".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian D.
Germany
flag msg tools
Thanks that you like the idea ...
1. yes you can place spawntokens in street zones not connected the the board edge, otherwise your choices to place them are extremly limited.
2. I think the last one has not really amadvantage this way but for sure you can adjust that as you want....some testing will tell.

3. The goal would be to gain the most exp ( reach red danger lvl ) and then just hop off the board.

Combat- I think auto hitting zombies would be too strong when you play alone with just one survivor.

Spawncards- Surely there will be some way to include the necromancers ... but i have no solution tha feels right for me atm...
I think i would not allow to harm the other players .. maybe you will not be able to pass another player on the board ... ??
Hopefully i will test this out in the next 2 weeks ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo Heisenbrain
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
I am the one who mods!
badge
Are you pondering what I'm pondering?
mbmbmbmbmb
Frekke wrote:

3. The goal would be to gain the most exp ( reach red danger lvl ) and then just hop off the board.
Sure, but my question wasmore like: if you happen to be the last one standing, do you still have to reach red and escape? This could be really difficult if there is the whole horde against you.
Frekke wrote:

Combat- I think auto hitting zombies would be too strong when you play alone with just one survivor.
Another variant could be Teams made out of 2 survivors each, with a minimum of 3 Teams total, maybe Players could controll both Teammates, so you can play with fewer Players. You can help yourself out of tricky situations, and i like the theme of it a lot. A pair of two trying to survive the apocalypse together.
Frekke wrote:

I think i would not allow to harm the other players .. maybe you will not be able to pass another player on the board ... ??
"You shall not pass!" nice idea! You could make them pay a toll, for letting them trough. "If you give me that Sword of yours, i shall let you pass" But then there should be a way to "wrestle" for passage, for example you roll a d6 and on a 4+ you can pass, below you get stunned and loose an action the next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls