TZAAR» Forums » Variants

Subject: Second-player advantage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This thread suggests that the first player has a significant disadvantage.

Instead of just having to play (a large number of) two-legged ties as in chess, I thought allowing the starting player to either capture OR stack could be a way to balance it out.

Any thoughts or other ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Reitz
Germany
Mayen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thread concludes that mainly from the result statistics on this site, right?

I don't play there (I play TZAAR on littlegolem.net instead) and I wonder if it is a result of trying to play the same strategy with either color?

I'm not convinced that the first player has a significant disadvantage.

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty S
United States
Spokane
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this game a pretty good amount of times, and I agree with the previous poster, that the second player has an advantage with one strategy. But I've won plenty with the first player, you just have to adjust your play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rio Malaschitz
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
On LittleGolem are similar statistics: Second player in Tzaar won 55% of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
beri2 wrote:
This thread suggests that the first player has a significant disadvantage.

Instead of just having to play (a large number of) two-legged ties as in chess, I thought allowing the starting player to either capture OR stack could be a way to balance it out.

Any thoughts or other ideas?
I usually hear that the reason the 2nd player has an advantage is that they get to start stacking first. If the 1st player can stack, then wouldn't this just give the 1st player that same advantage, but even stronger (since at least with the rules as written, the 2nd player will stack but will have lost one of their pieces (due to the 1st player's first turn), whereas with the proposed variant, the 1st player will stack and still have all the rest of their pieces. So in that sense, the variant might reverse the problem and make it worse, mightn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't know, it would b worth testing. Another suggestion is that the first player starts with two moves, but has to capture with both of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Moore
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Archon313 wrote:
I've played this game a pretty good amount of times, and I agree with the previous poster, that the second player has an advantage with one strategy. But I've won plenty with the first player, you just have to adjust your play.

Dusty, what is this one strategy you speak of?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty S
United States
Spokane
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
orangeblood wrote:
Dusty, what is this one strategy you speak of? :)

The one strategy that the second player has an advantage with is that they are the first person to stack. If they continue to stack one Tzaar piece every turn, for instance, that stack will always be too tall to capture. This is the advantage.
Another poster that I read pointed out that if the first player assumes (as they should) that the second player is going to stack, and continue to stack a Tzaar piece, the first player should start capturing Tzarras and force the second player into a defensive roll. See his excellent strategy post HERE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls