5 Posts

Mice and Mystics» Forums » Rules

Subject: Newbie question: Explore action? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Knut Högvall
msg tools
mbmbmb
How do I perform an explore action? Do I roll a die? I can't find anything in the rule book. It talks about "attempting" to explore and about "successfully" exploring, so I guess there must be a way to be unsuccessful at exploring, too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the time, it just succeeds. There's no roll and no chance for failure. The exception is in one of the middle chapters of the Storybook, and the rules for it are defined then. For now, just explore and move on to the next tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RMGreen wrote:
Most of the time, it just succeeds. There's no roll and no chance for failure. The exception is in one of the middle chapters of the Storybook, and the rules for it are defined then. For now, just explore and move on to the next tile.
Exploring is simply deciding to leave/flip a tile.
Searching requires you to roll the die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
captainknut wrote:
It talks about "attempting" to explore and about "successfully" exploring, so I guess there must be a way to be unsuccessful at exploring, too?
Technically, you can fail the action if you want to explore to an adjacent tile and that tile is not the right side (colour) up.

You first announce the action, then you flip the adjacent tile over and check if there actually is a connecting exit on the other side. If not, you can't go there and the explore action fails.

I guess this was done for some additional surprises ("oh no, a dead end!"), but it hardly ever comes up. And even if you wanted to be surprised in this manner, it's hard not to remember where certain exits are.
Also, even in chapters where it is a possibility, I reckon people will just flip the tile over in advance to check anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knut Högvall
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks, all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls