Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt T
Australia
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm completely new to the C&C concept, but decided to give Memoir '44 a go after seeing rave reviews over at Shut Up & Sit Down. We played Montélimar as our first scenario.

It was *so* good. Just straight into the action, and while the rules were simple, this just freed us to think about how to handle the moment. Is he holding back because he has no cards or is it an ambush? (It was an ambush the second time - now back over the hill with you to be picked off by panzer grenadiers.) Leave the tanks on this hill or push forward and hope for overrun? Do I get ineffective units to a different flank so I can use them later or hope for cards where they are? Being forced to develop tactics based on what you actually have rather than agonising over some grand perfect strategy was tremendously liberating. You were in the thick of it, not some detached omniscient general watching via satellite. Plenty of depth.

We swapped sides and it was a completely different battle. Tanks didn't really feature in the first round (thanks to German artillery wiping one lot of Allied armour off the map in the first turn, and a lack of right flank cards for the Axis and centre cards for the Allies later on). The second battle was brutal, with Allied tanks pushing down their right flank straight to the Rhone; dug-in Axis infantry holding the centre; and tanks from both sides rumbling over the hills and smashing into one another.

There was none of the 'randomness' I've seen some complain about. There was always something to do, and while it might not have been what I'd prefer, that's war. You could see flank famines coming and move units into more favourable positions when you had the chance, setting up along those valuable 'red line' hexes for flexibility. Yes, sometimes you were pinned and hopeless, but this just added to the tension. It never felt 'unfair'.

We're sufficiently good amateur historians to know there are plenty of examples from real battles in which valuable resources have been stuck doing nothing, and remarked that so much of WW2 actually makes more sense if you think of the various players using command cards. "Why aren't we closing on Dunkirk?" "Sorry, I've only got this Repair card. I think it's a good one!" "Let's advance on Moscow!" "Yeah, I've only got these right flank probes so I'm gonna run with that. I've got a really good feeling about Kiev."

It's a fantastic system, and I can't recommend it highly enough. We're keen to adapt it for Battletech
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László K.
United States
Hopatcong
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GrueHunter wrote:
...decided to give Memoir '44 a go...
Welcome to the club!

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love reading this stuff! There are many games out there that are deeper with more chrome and detail, but for me few can match Memoir in terms of pure set it up and roll the bones FUN!

Welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WORELOF PENDRAGON
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my tens, for sure!!!! and Welcome !! zombielaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Yorkston
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move Along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woot! Sounds like you've grasped th spirit of the game that I find so enjoyable!

Welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Parker McParker
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I foresee you looking up all the expansions and agonising over which one to buy...
I further predict that you'll end up with all of the in print expansions and, in times of madness, will sometimes consider bidding on auctions for the out of print rareties.

It's my favourite game. My wallet wasn't so keen at first. Thankfully, new expansions don't seem to be coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ShepparCon was a Blast!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
Thank You to all those that attended BorderCon this year and made it special again!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen the term Flank Famine before...like it! meeple

Welcome to the club.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just about all of the Commands and Colors games and while the later versions (Napoleonics and The Great War) have been developed with more depth and are excellent games you can't beat Memoir 44 for its fast pace and simplicity.

If you choose to buy some expansions together with the Terrain Pack and Equipment pack the base game really goes up a gear without getting too complex and so excessive rules will not stifle the fun.

Do buy the Campaign Books, particularly Campaign Book 1 (in PdF format for value for money). These provide a load of new battles even if you decide not to play out the campaigns themselves.

I personally can't recommend Memoir 44 enough.

Happy gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lenny Baldwin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Wait until you try Breakthrough... my favourite way of playing M'44. If you got the space and can get your hands on D'day expansion too you won't look back!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls