Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Old School Tactical» Forums » Rules

Subject: Melee Stacking rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the stacking limits in 9.1 per side with regard to melee?

Assume so, but I assume wrongly quite a bit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I also assumed so.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Pultorak
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rule 29-7

7. Stacking limits are still followed, so a max of 2
units, 2 Leaders and 1 support weapon per Squad
may be used.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, we understand that rule. It is necessary to answering the OP question, but not sufficient.

Does that rule mean that if there are two enemy leaders, two squads but only one support weapon in a hex I can only throw 1 of my support weapons into the hex?

I think we are looking for a rule or clarification that:

A) Stacking limits are applied to each hex for each side, or

B) Stacking limits are an absolute maximum for a hex.

To sufficiently answer the question. Currently the vote is 2-0 for A.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Pultorak wrote:
Rule 29-7

7. Stacking limits are still followed, so a max of 2
units, 2 Leaders and 1 support weapon per Squad
may be used.

Thanks... another area the rulebook could use some anticpatory clarity. In 9.1 simply add "including during Assault movement".

So keeping two units in a hex prevents assault/melee there. I guess the theory being you have to soften them up with fire first.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt MacEachern
United States
Phoenix
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin's option A is supported by the examples of Melee in the rules.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The melee example is 2 units v 1 unit. The concentrated attack rules cover 2v2 and 2v1.

Although the stacking rule is not spelled out explicitly, the surrounding rules don't make any sense unless the stacking rules apply per side in melee.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
d2necro wrote:
The melee example is 2 units v 1 unit. The concentrated attack rules cover 2v2 and 2v1.

Although the stacking rule is not spelled out explicitly, the surrounding rules don't make any sense unless the stacking rules apply per side in melee.
That was where my assumption came from.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Logan
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the stacking rules are applied per side in a Melee.

When making up the Rulebook, a very difficult process, sometimes assumptions are made on our part. I tried to anticipate questions and situations that would pop up, but no one can bat 1000.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamm22 wrote:
Yes, the stacking rules are applied per side in a Melee.

When making up the Rulebook, a very difficult process, sometimes assumptions are made on our part. I tried to anticipate questions and situations that would pop up, but no one can bat 1000.
You cannot anticipate every idiot. Thanks for the hard work and the post release answers. It seems to me that you did a really good job, there are not a lot of problems.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
Jamm22 wrote:
Yes, the stacking rules are applied per side in a Melee.

When making up the Rulebook, a very difficult process, sometimes assumptions are made on our part. I tried to anticipate questions and situations that would pop up, but no one can bat 1000.
You cannot anticipate every idiot. Thanks for the hard work and the post release answers. It seems to me that you did a really good job, there are not a lot of problems.

Wait, what??? Idiot???
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Logan
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No such thing as a bad question but a lot I haven't thought of, yet.

You Btw, nice job on the solo chart Kevin
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
martimer wrote:
Jamm22 wrote:
Yes, the stacking rules are applied per side in a Melee.

When making up the Rulebook, a very difficult process, sometimes assumptions are made on our part. I tried to anticipate questions and situations that would pop up, but no one can bat 1000.
You cannot anticipate every idiot. Thanks for the hard work and the post release answers. It seems to me that you did a really good job, there are not a lot of problems.

Wait, what??? Idiot???
That was a general note and NOT directed at anybody. I worked in system and product safety for a while and the running gag was that we were trying to idiot-proof the world but there were too many idiots for us to outsmart them all.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls