flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My game group played our second game of Spheres of Influence. The players were:

Shu (purple) – India
me (white) – Brazil
Nikunj (black) - Kazakhstan
Slav (red) – Germany
Sumit (green) – Mexico
Daryl (blue) – Russia (Daryl had a rough start position being in the middle of 3 opponents)

The first 3 rounds were pretty quiet. I made a deal with my northern neighbor, Sumit. Sumit could take North America and I would take South America. This would mean he wouldn’t take his home sphere, but I couldn’t let him take 3 spheres in the Western Hemisphere to my one and leave me with a single oil rig in Brazil. I moved quickly into Africa as well to take the oil there. Sumit went north to take the US and Canada. Slav spread into Norway and England first and then started to move south into Western Europe.

Here is an early map:

Shu decided to move west into the Middle East from her base in India. There was a lot of bad blood between Daryl and Nikunj from our previous game and this would continue into our second game. Daryl took Russia, and Nikunj took most of China. But Daryl took Manchuria and N. Korea (mainly for the extra card). Daryl then attacked Nikunj in Beijing.

Here is the map during the middle of turn 3:

I started moving into Australia. I decided to move there because Shu went for North Africa and left Indonesia and Australia open. Shu successfully took over N. Africa and had 5 oil rigs. Slav finished conquering Western Europe and then sent a large fleet to attack Shu in North Africa taking both of her oil rigs there. Shu decided to make a deal with Slav and abandon her interests in Africa and focus on moving East into the Philippines and the entire Japanese sphere. Sumit sailed west and took most of Indonesia. Nikunj had troops in the Indian sphere, but for some reason, Shu decided not to try to conquer her home sphere. She was too nice to Nikunj. Nikunj was busy fighting Daryl. They were locked into a death spiral (a continuation of what happened last game). At one point they both conquered each other’s capital. Daryl had a deal with Slav to stay out of Eastern Europe. Slav was happy at this because it allowed him to concentrate on N. Africa. Nikunj played a card which prevented Daryl from attacking Nikunj’s forces in the Russian oil territory which forced Daryl to move south through E. Europe and took Turkey. This made Shu worried.

Here is the map during the beginning of turn 4:

I was getting worried about Slav’s presence in Africa so I took Morocco from Shu in order to get a card and offer more serious defense against Slav. Slav ended up destroying my force in Morocco and continued on to attack me in central Africa, costing me a sphere. Slav had to move troops over to help attack me in West Africa so he couldn’t take Egypt from Shu and so couldn’t get the rest of the N. Africa sphere. Shu launched an attack at California which Sumit was unable to fend off at this point in the game. Sumit took Japan and S. Korea from Shu, but Taiwan would remain in Shu’s hands. Nikunj and Daryl remained in combat.

Here is the map during the end of turn 4:

On turn 5, it was a good round for me – almost too good because it resulted in my having 4 spheres and the clear lead. I fought with Slav. Slav was clever, he didn't concentrate his forces because he suspected that I had a nuclear card, which I did and I was hoping to use it on him. Slav launched a naval attack against Peru and eventually took Brazil from me, but I was able to eventually beat it back. I then retook my central African sphere. Sumit was able to retake California after many attempts and severe losses on his side. He counterattacked Shu and launched a large attack against India which was (barely) successful. Shu decided to finally attack Nikunj in the Indian sphere, but Nikunj really wanted Burma so counterattacked there. Besides this, Nikunj and Daryl had a sort of cold war in Nikunj’s home of Kazakhstan. Nikunj was able to retake all of China.

Here is the map during the end of turn 5:

On the last turn Sumit told me that our alliance was over. I expected this because I was the clear leader with 4 spheres. I appreciate Sumit giving me an open declaration of war rather than engage in a sneak attack. Slav also made clear that he was going to attack me in Africa so I was going to fight two powerful enemies on the last round and I didn’t expect much. I spent most of my time fortifying Africa against Slav because I planned to use my nuclear missile on Sumit’s forces in Panama which were about 10 armies strong. Unfortunately Sumit went first and set them out to sea before I could nuc them. Slav actually started off attack Eastern Europe in an attempt to get to 4 spheres himself. Unfortunately for him, Shu also wanted to take Eastern Europe and they would end up fighting, with Shu winning. Shu eventually took over Italy as well so Slav lost his Western Europe sphere. Shu also took India. Nikunj and Daryl had a big fight in Kazakhstan. Nikunj was able to retake his capital, but Daryl took the oil in Western China and then moved on to take India in a surprise move against Shu! Sumit sailed south and eventually attacked Argentina, which was defended by 4 armies. We both played special cards to get more dice and eventually my 4 armies defeated Sumit’s invading 10 armies! I also took Egypt from Slav. On the last card of the game, it was Sumit’s turn and I played a special card which cancelled Sumit’s turn. In the end I won with 4 spheres. Sumit was second with 2 spheres. Surprisingly, Daryl was 3rd with 1 sphere and 2 starting capitals. Slav was 4th with one sphere and 1 starting capital. Shu was 5th with one sphere and 0 starting capitals. And Nikunj was last with 0 spheres.

Here is the map during the end of the game:

Score sheet:

One again we had a fun time, but people seem to feel exhausted after playing this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffreyKnoll wrote:
I appreciate Sumit giving me an open declaration of war rather than engage in a sneak attack.
i'm sure you did. and how did that turn out for everyone???

this game seems to require consistent focus on bashing the leader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Baker
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the fact I had players all around me at the start, I am thrilled with my third place finish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls