Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit: besides me,

If anyone is still coming to this game new 11 years after its launch...

Rules I got wrong, I think I have it right now - please let me know if I still don't understand them:

1. Your Focus number tells you how many 'stops' your sliders can move, not how many stops it can move per slider. If your focus is 2 you can move one two spaces or 2 one space.

2. Passing a monster on a street: if you successfully evade the monster you can continue your movement. If you fight it, you must stop where you fight it even if you have more movement points.

2a. BUT... Can you then use unused Mvt points to cash in for an effect if you have a card that would let you? Or is your movement phase done and all Mvt points lost?

Rules that still need clarification:

3. If a card's sanity or stamina cost brings my investigator to zero does the card's effect still take place and then I move to the hospital or asylum?

4. The term "in Arkham" when written on a card (any card)... Does it refer to any place that is not "Other World" to include Outskirts and Sky? I assume lost in time is neither.

5. Finally, I've seen house rules on this next one that I like and might use, but is there a difinitave "by the letter of the official rules and FAQ" way to handle monsters at a location?

A) I finish my move at a location with a monster but no open gate. Must I evade/fight?

B) I successfully evaded monster in A) and now want to leave on my next turn. Must I evade/fight?

C) I finish my move at a location with a monster and an open gate. Must I evade/fight given that during the Arkham phase I'm going to be sucked through the gate (no house rule)?

D) I move back from Other World to a location with a monster. Must I evade/fight?

I think that's it. Thanks!

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Do the right thing. It's usually obvious.
badge
I has a stick! A tiny green stick!
mbmbmbmbmb
2a.) Once you have engaged in combat, you no longer can spend movement points.

3.) Any events that take place at the same time are resolved in the order chosen by the players; so generally, yes

4.) The Sky is in Arkham; the Outskirts and Lost in Time and Space are not.

5a.) Yes
5b.) Yes
5c.) Yes; you should have fought or evaded back in the Movement phase, not during Arkham Encounters
5d.) No. You may ignore any monsters in your location on the turn you Return to Arkham, and only on that turn. If there are multiple monsters, you may fight some if you wish and still ignore others.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainMench wrote:
Edit: besides me, If anyone is still coming to this game new 11 years after its launch...
Hi there, I jumped on this train maybe a year ago, so there's still new players. Welcome!

CaptainMench wrote:
1. Your Focus number tells you how many 'stops' your sliders can move, not how many stops it can move per slider. If your focus is 2 you can move one two spaces or 2 one space.
2. Passing a monster on a street: if you successfully evade the monster you can continue your movement. If you fight it, you must stop where you fight it even if you have more movement points.
2a. BUT... Can you then use unused Mvt points to cash in for an effect if you have a card that would let you? Or is your movement phase done and all Mvt points lost?
I think you would have to spend the movement points on the effect before you get stopped by the monster.

CaptainMench wrote:

3. If a card's sanity or stamina cost brings my investigator to zero does the card's effect still take place and then I move to the hospital or asylum?
Yes

CaptainMench wrote:
4. The term "in Arkham" when written on a card (any card)... Does it refer to any place that is not "Other World" to include Outskirts and Sky? I assume lost in time is neither.
I would think 'in Arkham' is only Town Location and Street areas plus the Sky.

CaptainMench wrote:
5. Finally, I've seen house rules on this next one that I like and might use, but is there a difinitave "by the letter of the official rules and FAQ" way to handle monsters at a location?
A) I finish my move at a location with a monster but no open gate. Must I evade/fight?
B) I successfully evaded monster in A) and now want to leave on my next turn. Must I evade/fight?
C) I finish my move at a location with a monster and an open gate. Must I evade/fight given that during the Arkham phase I'm going to be sucked through the gate (no house rule)?
D) I move back from Other World to a location with a monster. Must I evade/fight?
Yes, Yes, Evade/Fight would be in the movement phase, you get 1 'free' turn where you don't have to deal with monsters so you can close the gate in peace.

Edit: Dang, I type slow. ninja'ed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both. Nice.
-m

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This great game has a cult following, beware. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainMench wrote:
Generally no, you do not have to fight the evade/fight the turn that you return to Arkham, but if you linger, you will have to fight next turn.
Bear in mind that if an effect allows/forces you to return during the Arkham Encounter phase, Other World Encounter phase, or Mythos phase, you will have to fight during the next Movement phase (since that will be a different turn).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
3): I think it's been ruled that you cannot cast a spell if the cost drives you insane. The last I heard, you go insane first and the spell does not take effect. I stand to be corrected if I'm recalling this incorrectly or the ruling has changed.

As far as reading tomes, it's not going to behoove you to do that, since you are going to lose half your items and clues.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
3): I think it's been ruled that you cannot cast a spell if the cost drives you insane. The last I heard, you go insane first and the spell does not take effect. I stand to be corrected if I'm recalling this incorrectly or the ruling has changed.

As far as reading tomes, it's not going to behoove you to do that, since you are going to lose half your items and clues.

Brian
Yup, that's right. Generally, if you pay before the effect, then you can't "over pay", but if you pay after the effect then you can
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hoffman
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:

Brian

You can pay Sanity to cast a spell even if it will make you insane. The spell will still take effect.

From the FAQ:
Quote:
Q: When an investigator casts a spell, can he spend all of
his Sanity to pay the spell’s Sanity cost?
A: Yes. If he does so, once the Sanity cost has been paid
the investigator makes his Spell check and, if he passes,
the spell takes effect. Whether the check is passed or not,
the investigator then goes insane. Note that if an investigator
were to cast a spell to gain combat bonuses, he would
go insane before having a chance to get into combat.

What you cannot do is pay all of your Sanity if it is still not enough to cast the spell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls