Juha Loukaja
Finland
Riihimäki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, first time player here. I've been watching some youtubers play and whatnot, and also read the rulebook and the excellent rule thingie found here on BGG.

My question is, I encountered a Ghost, playing as Seelah. I had a quarterstaff available, but other than that, nothing to help me against the Ghost in form of blessings, just armors. The combat check for the Ghost is 12, but you can also opt to take a Wisdom / divine check for 8. I opted for that instead, since Seelah has d8 +2 wisdom, but got a horrible roll of 4.

Obviously I failed the roll and need to take damage, but do I calculate damage taken based on the check I made or is it always combat damage? In this case, I rolled a 4, +2 for divine, so a total of 6. Do I take 2 damage? Or, do I subtract from combat damage, so 12-6 = 6 damage?

No matter which it is, Seelah got killed but just wanted to know for future reference.

Also, while I'm at it. She encountered a Barrier - Trapped Passageway, and also this time she had no Blessings available. The barrier had listed Wisdom, Perception, Dexterity and Acrobatics as possible skills. Playing as Seelah, she hasn't a Perception skill. Her Wisdom is d8, but do I get to add the +2 for Divine? I guess no? The way I did it, then, was to Recharge a Night Watch to add 1d10 to my Perception, and since I don't have that skill, my roll would be 1d4 + 1d10, am I right? With solely the Wisdom, 1d8 I couldn't possibly have passed the check anyway if I'm interpreting the rules correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
-
mbmbmbmbmb
Merkillinen wrote:
My question is, I encountered a Ghost, playing as Seelah. I had a quarterstaff available, but other than that, nothing to help me against the Ghost in form of blessings, just armors. The combat check for the Ghost is 12, but you can also opt to take a Wisdom / divine check for 8. I opted for that instead, since Seelah has d8 +2 wisdom, but got a horrible roll of 4.

Obviously I failed the roll and need to take damage, but do I calculate damage taken based on the check I made or is it always combat damage? In this case, I rolled a 4, +2 for divine, so a total of 6. Do I take 2 damage? Or, do I subtract from combat damage, so 12-6 = 6 damage?

You always take combat damage for failing to defeat a monster, regardless of the check. Because you were trying the wisdom/divine check of 8, it would be 2 damage.

Merkillinen wrote:
Also, while I'm at it. She encountered a Barrier - Trapped Passageway, and also this time she had no Blessings available. The barrier had listed Wisdom, Perception, Dexterity and Acrobatics as possible skills. Playing as Seelah, she hasn't a Perception skill. Her Wisdom is d8, but do I get to add the +2 for Divine? I guess no? The way I did it, then, was to Recharge a Night Watch to add 1d10 to my Perception, and since I don't have that skill, my roll would be 1d4 + 1d10, am I right? With solely the Wisdom, 1d8 I couldn't possibly have passed the check anyway if I'm interpreting the rules correctly.

You played this right. You can only use Divine if Divine is a listed option. You can use Perception as a d4 even though you don't have the skill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
medwards wrote:
You always take combat damage for failing to defeat a monster, regardless of the check.

This is true, UNLESS the monster specifies otherwise, like the Siren does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juha Loukaja
Finland
Riihimäki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers, guys

What about fighting unarmed? Say, Kyra, who has 1d6 STR and +2 Melee, if she has no weapons in hand when she encounters a monster, she could use STR, but would she get the +2 bonus as well or is it only available if she uses a weapon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
PG 11 - "Most monsters and some barriers call for a combat check.
Weapons and many other cards that can be used during combat
generally tell you what skill to use when you attempt a combat
check; if you don’t play such a card, use your Strength or Melee
skill. (A few cards that can be used on checks don’t use any of your
skills; they instead specify the exact dice you need to roll or the
result of your die roll.)"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Just in case it's not clear, you get to use the weapon because you're making a MELEE check to begin with; so yes, you can MELEE without a weapon. This explains why Seelah - a fighter - is better at fighting unarmed than Seoni - a sorceror. The fighter gets a MELEE skill which is STR + 2, while Seoni is only limited to STR. The +2 represents Seelah's skill as a trained martial warrior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls