Subject: Advice On My Combat System rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Restaino
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
So my game is going to kind of be a mix between HeroQuest and Key to the Kingdom. Pretty much like what I did for the custom Zelda games I created but I want to add to the combat so I came up with leveling your Attack. So each hero starts with 3 Level 1 Attack dice. You go around the map, defeating minions and going to the dungeons to beat the boss and earn treasures.

Here is an example of a combat scenario. I've done multiple test rolls against enemies with different defend dice combos I just don't know if I am happy with the results and if this is balanced correctly. I thought the probabilities on each worked at first but now I'm not so sure.

on an attack die, it will either have:
Sword Symbol = Single Hit
2S Symbol = Double Hit
3S = Triple Hit
Critical = 4 Hits
X = Blank

On a monsters defend die it will have
Shield symbol = 1 block
2B = 2 Blocks
3B = 3 Blocks
X = Blank

Level 5 Barbarian (Max Level) - 8 HP
5d6
3 Level 1 Dice has: (Sword/Sword/X/X/X/X)
When you level up your attack to 2 you add 1 Level 2 Die which has:
(2S/Sword/Sword/X/X/X)
Level up attack to 3 and you receive 1 Level 3 Die to add which has:
(2S/2S/Sword/X/X/X)
Level up to 4 and you get 1 Level 4 die to add which has:
(3S/2S/2S/Sword/X/X)
And then lastly you receive 1 Level 5 die to add which has:
(Critical/X/X/X/X/X)

Level 3 Goblin - 5 HP
3d6 each with (Double Block/Double Block/Block/Block/X/X)

So now the Barbarian rolls and gets (X/2S/Sword/3S/X) = 5 Hits
Goblin rolls and gets (Double/X/X) = 2 Block
5 minus 2 = 3 Hits so the Goblin loses 3 Damage

But say I have a Poisoned Sword that takes an extra 2 Hits away on each roll.
Now the Barbarian has killed the Goblin.

The player rolls both the attack and defend dice at the same time to make it go a little faster.

Thoughts? Questions? Comments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
mb
it seems nice, but wouldnt it be too many dice?
i mean, for the final game, how many dice of each type would you have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Restaino
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
xchikyx wrote:
it seems nice, but wouldnt it be too many dice?
i mean, for the final game, how many dice of each type would you have?

i guess the most that could be thrown would be 15 maybe? It is alot of dice but I've been told by the people that played my Zelda game that it was fun to do so. But I'm not sure anymore!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't adding up all those hits and blocks too tedious? Or do you simply line the dice up hits and blocks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Restaino
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
I didn't think so. To me and who I played it with it was fun. But like I said, maybe other people won't think so. It's really not tedious. Just fairly quick adding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand why the level-5 barbarian rolls 5d6. Shouldn't it be 3 x lvl-1 d6 + lvl-2 d6 + lvl-3 d6 + lvl-4 d6 + lvl-5 d6 = 7d6?

If the enemy (goblin) only rolls for blocking, how the enemies hurt the hero? The 8 HP for the barbarian seems pointless if enemies can do nothing but blocking.

I think the level-5 die is not very helpful if it misses 5 out of 6 times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DRest806 wrote:
i guess the most that could be thrown would be 15 maybe? It is alot of dice but I've been told by the people that played my Zelda game that it was fun to do so. But I'm not sure anymore!

Not everybody thinks throwing a bunch of dice is fun. Which means *some* think throwing a bunch of dice *is* fun! Can't make everyone happy.

Since it's the HQ mechanic, the combat alone wouldn't interest me. So I say make the rest of the game interesting and worry about combat later -- if you really need to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Your level 4 dice averages 1.33 swords per roll, your level 5 dice averages 0.67 swords per roll. Is this intentional?

I think from a manufacturing point of view all of these different types of dice are nightmarish and I don't see what they add to the game.

Why not have one type of dice and just change how many of them you roll?

Or have dice effects depend on context (e.g. has an L side worth your level in swords)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Restaino
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
Ultracheng wrote:
I don't understand why the level-5 barbarian rolls 5d6. Shouldn't it be 3 x lvl-1 d6 + lvl-2 d6 + lvl-3 d6 + lvl-4 d6 + lvl-5 d6 = 7d6?

If the enemy (goblin) only rolls for blocking, how the enemies hurt the hero? The 8 HP for the barbarian seems pointless if enemies can do nothing but blocking.

I think the level-5 die is not very helpful if it misses 5 out of 6 times.

Level 5 players DO get to roll 7 dice. And also if the enemy rolls more shields than the player rolls swords, the hero takes that amount of damage.

The level 5 die has one critical hit on it but yea its tough to roll.

There will also be items and weapons to help your rolls. I feel like symbols on dice is more exciting than just plain adding up numbers no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Restaino
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
x_equals_speed wrote:
Your level 4 dice averages 1.33 swords per roll, your level 5 dice averages 0.67 swords per roll. Is this intentional?

I think from a manufacturing point of view all of these different types of dice are nightmarish and I don't see what they add to the game.

Why not have one type of dice and just change how many of them you roll?

Or have dice effects depend on context (e.g. has an L side worth your level in swords)

It adds the same amount of excite if not more than just plain old numbers do i think. To have all those dice could make the player feel like they have alot of power in their hands. And yes the .67 is intention because if they do hit, it is a critical hit. Why would it be nightmarish from a manufacturing point of view? Could you clarify please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What's special about a critical hit that makes it different to a regular hit? I got the impression you either rolled enough swords or not enough swords.

Custom dice are a relatively expensive choice, the more you have the more expensive, they should add something to your game to be justified.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Carlsson
Sweden
Vikingstad
flag msg tools
uptimegames.com
badge
uptimegames.com
mbmbmb
I do see the coolness in having a lot of different dice, but I fear that it might be a little cumbersome to play, you need to find the right dice and as already said it will cost you having a lot of custom dice.

What if you create one custom die with:
Critical
Crossed sword (2x)
Sword
Sword
Miss
Miss

If you are a level 1 character you cant use critical and 2x, for a certain level you enable these. Lets say that when you reach level 3 you enable the 2x or it could be that if you dont have the master ability you can't use multipliers, it will only count as a regular hit.

And for level 5 you activate the critical hits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
mb
grimmymail wrote:
I do see the coolness in having a lot of different dice, but I fear that it might be a little cumbersome to play, you need to find the right dice and as already said it will cost you having a lot of custom dice.

Critical
Crossed sword (2x)
Sword
Sword
Miss
Miss

If you are a level 1 character you cant use critical and 2x, for a certain level you enable these. Lets say that when you reach level 3 you enable the 2x or it could be that if you dont have the master ability you can't use multipliers, it will only count as a regular hit.

+1 to this
it makes it really easy, in every way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
grimmymail wrote:

Critical
Crossed sword (2x)
Sword
Sword
Miss
Miss

i would just have 1 die for each level because limiting what you can and cannot use at a certain level of a character is dirty design in my opinon. If you want it to be very clear just let people use any side of the die you roll regardless of your level BUT introduce more dice that can be pretty much same thing. Kind of like King of Tokyo.

level 1- 1 die
level 2- 2 dice
level 3- 3 dice
level 4- 4 dice
level 5- 5 dice

So by the time you are level 5 you will be rolling 5 dice which even if these dice are the same still increase your chances of getting stronger hit. However, this will make the dice not as drastic and therefore your items that add bonus damage will be more balanced as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Armstrong
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another thought: you could have two different types of dice, one that's more basic (maybe 2 Strikes / Strike / Strike / Miss / Miss / Miss) and one that's advanced (maybe Crit / 2S / 2S / S / S / Miss). Start with 3 basic dice, and for each level either add another Basic dice or swap a Basic for an Advanced dice. You could even let the players choose which they want to do when they advance. Still custom dice, still potential for lots of dice to roll, but not 5 different dice etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luther Hendricks
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another option to reduce the number of unique die molds -- combine attack and defense dice into a single die, with different symbols. The swords only work when you're attacking, and the shields when defending, so the same molded die can be used for two different functions. If you want it a little less disparate, you can have a generic "success" symbol that works for attacking or defending, and add swords/shields to faces as appropriate to weight the die in the proper way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haitao Mao
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
Defcon64 wrote:
Here's another thought: you could have two different types of dice, one that's more basic (maybe 2 Strikes / Strike / Strike / Miss / Miss / Miss) and one that's advanced (maybe Crit / 2S / 2S / S / S / Miss). Start with 3 basic dice, and for each level either add another Basic dice or swap a Basic for an Advanced dice. You could even let the players choose which they want to do when they advance. Still custom dice, still potential for lots of dice to roll, but not 5 different dice etc.

I agree with this - you only need two types of die to create two axes to balance with.

One axis is how many die you want to roll, the other axis is the ratio of advanced to basic die. (the advanced ones with give bigger crits)

You only have two dimensions you're tweaking, expected hits and variance of #hits, so this is sufficient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls